Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

8 hours ago, pH said:

Well, yes, but …

The initial aim of the war was not to preserve the union, but to re-form the union. Seven states had already seceded before the first shots were fired at Fort Sumter. (Pedantic, I know, but that is the timeline.) 

However, what had caused those states to secede from the union in the first place? The fear that restriction of expansion, possibly leading to abolition, of slavery would devastate the economy of the Southern states. So, not the moral aspects of slavery, but the financial aspects.

History is proverbially written by the winners, and the Northern position throughout was that the Southern states had not left, nor did they have the right to do so, and that he was the legitimately elected President of those States. Otherwise his position in acceding to demands for military action would have been untenable. After all, had they not declared Independence from the Crown, only just out of living memory? What other basis could there be for mobilising State-enlisted troops to fight on behalf of the Union? The opposite also applied; numerous serving US officers resigned to fight for the Confederacy on the basis that they owed primary allegiance to their States, most notably Robert E Lee. The Civil War would come to be defined by abolition, but it began about the legalities of what the Constitution actually meant in practice. That Constitution did not mention slavery as such. Slavery was a legal institution, and had the Confederacy managed to force an early resolution, or simply endured long enough that the Union abandoned the attempt as too costly or simply unfeasible, peace could have been concluded without its resolution. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Reading what has been written about the origins of the America Civil War, prompted me to look through a couple of internet articles on various aspects of the conflict.

I came to the conclusion that had this war been fought in the 20th century, then both sides would have been guilty of a large number of what we now know as war crimes.  In many cases the actions being sanctioned by the ruling authorities.  Admittedly some of those commissioned to carry out these actions, went far beyond their original remit and were little more than criminal gangs.

Surprisingly, they seemed not to have continued as such after the end of the War in 1865 with the exception of what was the James-Younger Gang.  They appear to have come together as a part of Quantrill's Raiders, the best known of the various partisan guerrilla groups.

Unlike the fictional heroes that Hollywood has since seemed to portray them as, there is no doubt that they were quite comfortable with attacking, stealing from and murdering civilians.

Although having said that, one of my all time favourite westerns is 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

History is proverbially written by the winners, and the Northern position throughout was that the Southern states had not left, nor did they have the right to do so, and that he was the legitimately elected President of those States. Otherwise his position in acceding to demands for military action would have been untenable. After all, had they not declared Independence from the Crown, only just out of living memory? What other basis could there be for mobilising State-enlisted troops to fight on behalf of the Union? The opposite also applied; numerous serving US officers resigned to fight for the Confederacy on the basis that they owed primary allegiance to their States, most notably Robert E Lee. The Civil War would come to be defined by abolition, but it began about the legalities of what the Constitution actually meant in practice. That Constitution did not mention slavery as such. Slavery was a legal institution, and had the Confederacy managed to force an early resolution, or simply endured long enough that the Union abandoned the attempt as too costly or simply unfeasible, peace could have been concluded without its resolution. 

Perhaps you could start another thread? Just in case you have not noticed those of us who actually live in the USA are at the moment really struggling with a significant existential crisis. How we got here might be interesting but it's going to do b'all to fix it.

In other words, I come here to escape from US politics. Kindly respect that.

• Friendly/supportive 13

52 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Reading what has been written about the origins of the America Civil War, prompted me to look through a couple of internet articles on various aspects of the conflict.

I came to the conclusion that had this war been fought in the 20th century, then both sides would have been guilty of a large number of what we now know as war crimes.  In many cases the actions being sanctioned by the ruling authorities.  Admittedly some of those commissioned to carry out these actions, went far beyond their original remit and were little more than criminal gangs.

Surprisingly, they seemed not to have continued as such after the end of the War in 1865 with the exception of what was the James-Younger Gang.  They appear to have come together as a part of Quantrill's Raiders, the best known of the various partisan guerrilla groups.

Unlike the fictional heroes that Hollywood has since seemed to portray them as, there is no doubt that they were quite comfortable with attacking, stealing from and murdering civilians.

Although having said that, one of my all time favourite westerns is 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.

HH, Old Bean :D

Big mistake if you encourage this thread to head in this direction. It will rapidly descend into current politics in the US and beyond. Even Welsh Wales.

Just my uninformed opinion,

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Isn't politics in Wales otherwise called Rugby?

Good morning from a bright, sunny North Hipposhire . The local political hot topic is that there is an election next Thursday for a town councillor in our ward. It's so hot that until voting cards for Jill and me arrived a few days ago we didn't even know about it. Of more immediate concern to me is that I have to go for a Covid test tomorrow morning in preparation for a second go at having the nasties removed from my schnozzle on Thursday. 

Here's a political joke.

Q. Why is there no recorded instance of a shark attacking a politician?

A. Professional respect.

Will that get me banned?

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Big mistake if you encourage this thread to head in this direction. It will rapidly descend into current politics in the US and beyond. Even Welsh Wales.

Andy

I think Richard's introductory post/poem 15 months ago made it clear that TNM is an inclusive thread. I have no great interest in history either side of the Atlantic, nor in Rugby Football, but skipping past those posts, just like some of the more technical discussions about building model locos or clocks, is something I can manage.

Should it become abusive, Richard will distribute red and yellow cards as required, I am sure. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Andy

Not encouraging it to head anywhere now, except into Room 101.

As you have pointed out the topic is drifting into an area that is very sensitive to contributors from the US; something that we on this side of the Atlantic are removed from.

When I started TNM, I was quite happy for it to follow whatever direction it chose.  Subjects could be raised, followed allowed to wither on the vine or be revisited as the mood and flow took us.

However, once some identifies that a topic is becoming uncomfortable/worrying/unpalatable for contributors to TNM, or it is felt too sensitive discuss then we stop.

As I have been typing this I've seen Ian's reply, which says it all. (Thanks Ian.)

Now  shall we start a thread about building scarecrows and their effectiveness at deterring pests in the vegetable garden?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now  shall we start a thread about building scarecrows and their effectiveness at deterring pests in the vegetable garden?

We are quite relaxed about crows visiting the vegetable patch, we need a scareslug.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We are quite relaxed about crows visiting the vegetable patch, we need a scareslug.

In our case, apart from slugs the main predators of vegetables in our patch are wood pigeon and cabbage white butterflies.

This past year has seen a marked decline in damage and destruction after the purchase of decent netting and frames, which replaced our rather rudimentary efforts of timber and chicken wire.

The slug battle continues as they love hiding under the weed barrier sheets we put down.

Eco/bio (whatever) slug pellets were used but although they disappeared on a regular basis, there was no apparent impact on Mr Slug and his extended family.

Careful research tracked down the disappearance of the pellets to various small rodents, whom are unaffected by whatever chemicals are in the 'nice' slug pellets, so have been stockpiling them as winter rations!

These rodents tend to get into the store shed at the bottom of the garden, so are the subjects of various traps that are baited with chocolate spread.

This is done as having spend a considerable sum on high quality netting, we have no desire to see our careful investment in vegetable protection chewed to bits in order to be converted into high end bedding.

Of course the netting has also had a detrimental effect on my wood pigeon pie and pasty making, as with no tasty pickings, they have started to ignore the garden, so the services of Messrs Weihrauch and BSA are much reduced.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a look at my early morning emails and one is from the Humbrol section of the Hornby empire. They would like me to rate and review my recent purchase of matt black acrylic paint. Apart from it is matt, black and acrylic and so far unopened I can’t really think of anything. I wonder if I will get emails for all the other colours in the order?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Something has reduced the local wood pigeon population by one overnight. There is a huge pile of feathers in one corner of the lawn this morning. 

Edited by Tony_S
Changed here to there
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

I have just had a look at my early morning emails and one is from the Humbrol section of the Hornby empire. They would like me to rate and review my recent purchase of matt black acrylic paint. Apart from it is matt, black and acrylic and so far unopened I can’t really think of anything. I wonder if I will get emails for all the other colours in the order?

You could write a long and rambling review comparing the various shades of black you have used over the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Oldddudders said:

ISTR Sherry's nearby village of St Marychurch has an annual competition for scarecrows, as I have no doubt do other communities. They appear in shop doorways and the like.  No doubt Covid has nuked these in recent times.

Carnon Downs does as well. Some of the entries are very disturbing... 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR Sherry's nearby village of St Marychurch has an annual competition for scarecrows, as I have no doubt do other communities. They appear in shop doorways and the like.  No doubt Covid has nuked these in recent times.

I have seen a few skulking in villages in the area, so the concept of the competition is still extant.

We had such a competition in the village some years back, and the caveat was that the scarecrow had to have a literary theme. This was combined with an open garden day

We produced a number dotted around the garden:  A miniature scarecrow of the ' Fat Controller' on the garden line; Two sailing dinghies with scarecrows within, placed in the front ditch and labelled 'Swallows and Amazons', and a wooden cross with various garments scattered on the ground entitled 'Gone with the Wind'.

Needless to say, we didn't win!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wasn't suggesting that Tony should write it here!:laugh_mini:

I am not totally sure I will even write the review but I was tempted to parody the “unboxing” reviews that feature other Hornby products. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

If only someone could breed a slug-proof Hosta.....

It is my understanding that the large leafed, blue coloured ones have a somewhat better resistance to the slamey devils. Not having any such hostas fitting this description I cannot testify to whether this is an accurate statement or just a promotional advertising t by a seller of said hostas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

It doth seem that anything I buy on Amazon or Ebay these days is followed soon afterwards by a request to review the item. This is utter tosh and never gets a response here. The era of Trip Advisor is upon us, and so open to motivated distortion to increase sales. 

• Agree 7