Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Darn, those rods are skimpy.

Without consulting Google I think that's got a lot to do with a Niagara's roller-bearing journals which have to be much larger diameter and the use of aluminum-alloy rods to compensate for the added eccentric mass to keep the hammer-blows acceptable to the PW department.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

On2½ or On3? I ask as I would get one in On2½ if it were available at a reasonable price (no brass imports!). 

My wife's Goose (On30) is from Pecision Craft. It dates from about 15 years ago. I paid $125 Cdn. It is plastic.

(She was entranced by one she saw on a layout tour. We went to Golden, Co. to see them, but the museum was having a Thomas weekend instead.)

We run ours on DC. The sound is co-ordinated with speed. On startup the engine is cranked over and catches and after a beat it starts to move. If you move the reverse switch while it is running, the brakes squeal before it stops and reverses. I'm told that on DCC if you try to accelerate too quickly, it will stall and restart.

(I have an idea that Precision Craft is/was associated with Broadway Limited.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own track and points from gazillions of bits you don't really need to be stuck with whatever the track manufacturers offer. This is a bit of 00 track I had 3-D printed in resin a few years ago. At that time resin 3-D printers were pretty expensive but they are not now.

DSCN5142.JPG.ea90ebcdffbde811673fda45b35c7897.JPG

Everything here is 3-D printed except that the rail webs are capped with a U-shaped nickel-silver "head" to make them conductive. You can make pretty much make any old type of rails and chairs this way. Bullhead, flat-bottom, weird turnout configurations. You name it :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

On 13/10/2021 at 03:36, Oldddudders said:

I hope to see my optician in Torquay next week.

Crikey! I'm having flashbacks. The last time I was there was about 66 years ago when I was six. We had a smashing holiday. Just getting there from Paisley in Dad's Vauxhall took about three days :D

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

….If I play the poor wounded soldier card well enough, though, I may get some quality modelling time in tomorrow so it could be that every cloud etc.

Whilst I am pleased to hear that all went well, aren’t you being, well, a tad UNambitious? “…quality modelling time…”? Shouldn’t that be “…quality modelling purchases”?

(and to forestall things like SWMBO saying “your friend Fred has his gallbladder removed and he didn’t get an XXXX” perhaps we should establish a tariff? So a few stitches are worth (rewarded by) one new goods wagon, a colonoscopy is worth a new rake of coaches, minor surgery is worth a new locomotive and so on.)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Without consulting Google I think that's got a lot to do with a Niagara's roller-bearing journals which have to be much larger diameter and the use of aluminum-alloy rods to compensate for the added eccentric mass to keep the hammer-blows acceptable to the PW department.

I think that's a lot to do with it. The main rods on UP's FEF 3's, think 844, are nearly 2' across at the crank pin bearing.  I've got a photo somewhere.  Also French track used to  be quite lgght weight and Chapelin would have had to keep the hammer blow as low as he could.

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Whilst I am pleased to hear that all went well, aren’t you being, well, a tad UNambitious? “…quality modelling time…”? Shouldn’t that be “…quality modelling purchases”?

(and to forestall things like SWMBO saying “your friend Fred has his gallbladder removed and he didn’t get an XXXX” perhaps we should establish a tariff? So a few stitches are worth (rewarded by) one new goods wagon, a colonoscopy is worth a new rake of coaches, minor surgery is worth a new locomotive and so on.)

Ah ha, Flavio, you obviously don't know the Squadron Leader well enough. He builds all his locos from scratch. Chapeau to him as they say over here.

Dave I hope that the recovery  goes well. Get nurse to write you a prescription  for a certain amount of modelling tome each day. Whether SWMBO will honour it you can only wait and see.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Dave I hope that the recovery  goes well. Get nurse to write you a prescription  for a certain amount of modelling tome each day. Whether SWMBO will honour it you can only wait and see.

Since Jill is a nurse, I cannot see Dave getting any form of prescription for his time unless ultimately that benefits the prescription writer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago I acquired an old Peco 16 ton AA3 Toad.

Toad.jpg.061093a0e1133537764b6c7f147e22fa.jpg

It was missing various bits and had not been glazed before the roof was glued on.

I've since done some repairs and given it some dubious paintwork.

More work required and transfers still to be affixed, but at least I'm getting back to physically modelling rather than musing about it.

A Dapol 16 ton mineral has also received some treatment.

708154024_Mineralwagonweathering.jpg.121b9dcec020a6ede06afffa95f6d3aa.jpg

I have been trying out some Promarker pens for the streaks on the bodywork.  More experimentation is needed as you draw a line and that's it, there is no time for smudge factor!

I think they look much better from a suitable standoff distance. 

Closeups are so cruel:laugh_mini:.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Those of a military persuasion are well aware of the term 'Mission Creep'. 

This loco is a prime example. Asked to fix the broken smoke box door should have been a simple job of putting in some new bolts. Alas it was first given to someone else who, rather messed it up. 

Silver solder is your friend, although having used the propane torch, the door had to be cleaned off and repainted. Of course, this did not match the smoke box, so the saddle tank had to come off and a lot of masking tape used. 

Then the chimney looked odd, so it to was repainted. Whilst dismantled the brass top was polished. 

I just need to put the front lamp and centre numberplate back on the door and it can go home. IMG_20211015_101300.jpg.e7cf4d11b736e25ba52d3e340a24a3f8.jpg

It should just have needed two M 1.6 screws... See what I mean about mission creep? 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have been trying out some Promarker pens for the streaks on the bodywork.  More experimentation is needed as you draw a line and that's it, there is no time for smudge factor!

Would something like IPA (not of the drinking variety) on a cotton bud allow streaking?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would something like IPA (not of the drinking variety) on a cotton bud allow streaking?

Yes it does.

I am experimenting with various techniques.  Too much IPA just floods the Promarker off the surface, so it needs to be applied sparingly.  A small paint brush may produce more controlled results, as will having a small open topped pot of the IPA readily to hand

However, I did also find out the it you pull the bottom of the Promarker pen off, you also have a broad 'nib' as well as the pointy one at the other end.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

End of a Dapol 16 ton mineral. Factory finish paintwork done over with burnt sienna and chocolate coloured Promarker wetted with IPA. IMG_20211015_142346.jpg.8e565555ec0e443ee3f92aeec3c3064c.jpg

Hmmm I'm not certain. Too even? Too flat? Not quite there HH.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Or in non military  circles: one job begats another

Decorating is probably the worst for this. 

Pull the paper off, have to fill holes or re plaster, looks like a ploughed field,  start sanding down, creates  dust  clean up, start redecorating.  Finish. 

Rest of house looks tired. Repeat above. 

As the song went " it all makes work for the working man to do"

Andy

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm I'm not certain. Too even? Too flat? Not quite there HH.

Yep totally agree. It's still a lot of WIP.  Fortunately, I've got a complete fleet of mineral wagons on which to fine tune the result.  Of course, by the time I get to the last one the first one will look so pathetic it will have to be brought up to the new standard.  A bit like SM42's decorating saga above:laugh_mini:.

There is a world of difference between 4 mm stuff where various hues of wash are enough and the mass that is 7 mm.

Spending  a lot of time with garden railways doesn't help, as live steamers and their accompanying rolling stock weather and pick up grot just like the real thing.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I know what you mean

As I've gone along I've started adding a little more details to my wagons and now the early examples sit there awaiting an upgrade. 

It's not much to do. Most would never notice the difference, but I would and it is flippin' awkward as a retrofit.

I may have to bite the bullet and squint at them instead

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all,

I've finally gotten to the stage of building my engine where it is imperative that it gets proper wheels. So today I undertook the making of a CAD model for 3d printing in bronze or steel by Shapeways. The cost overall comes out to around $200, which is less than what I would be paying for machined Walsall wheels.

667797455_Screenshot2021-10-152_22_01PM.png.ff2c7a683de7fbd2328df995784952a2.png

I'm still not sure this is the way forward, as I have yet to meet with the machinist to see if he would machine raw castings.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I don't think anybody really does. Thank you though.

I would have thought, Douglas, that as an admirer of M. Steam (AKA Andre Chapelon) that you would have a clear idea of the importance of arranging cut-off to ensure the most efficient use of expansion - he certainly did. 

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I certainly am. Many years ago (too many to admit to) when I bought a Unimat lathe and was learning how to use it, a friend gave me four small driving wheel castings with which to practice machining. Having successfully done them it seemed a shame not to use them so I made a little Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST for which they were appropriate. Some years later it was used on a friend's exhibition layout and was seen by someone who was building a brewery layout and wanted some locomotives for it so I offered it on loan. Then he asked whether I would make another one to go with it so I started to make a Peckett 0-4-0ST as a stablemate. For a while all was fine until at a model swapmeet I saw four steel locomotive tyres on a sort of bric a brac stall that on close inspection looked as though they may well be to S7 standards. Since they were only a few quid I bought them. A while later the chap making the brewery layout said that he would like to include a diesel locomotive and showed me a little Bush shunter in a book. The wheel diameter was the same as the tyres I had bought so, almost inevitably, I made one. So, from a practice session on a lathe I ended up making three small industrial locomotives, the final irony being that the brewery layout was stillborn so they now lurk quite inappropriately on my part-made Midland locomotive depot circa 1906. 

This is the one that started the whole business - the Andrew Barclay that I built to use the wheels I had turned.IMG_0105.JPG.89b0255fa113d5f6b056d8eaebbc8316.JPG

Then came the Peckett.

IMG_0107.JPG.274d82ed4f9d8adb82363a0b8f621eb1.JPG

And finally the Brush diesel. This one was by way of an experiment as the superstructure is made from plastic.

IMG_0096.JPG.3cb0ab03f79cb82a6e4063cc2937299f.JPG

The livery is fictitious and based on a tin of Humbrol paint that I had lying around.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 6

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Douglas, that as an admirer of M. Steam (AKA Andre Chapelon) t

Fear not Dave, I do know what cutoff and expansion are. That was supposed to be a joke, and probably could have been helped by the edition of an emoji. 

Also, is that a Johnson compound I see lurking there?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

....perhaps we should establish a tariff? So a few stitches are worth (rewarded by) one new goods wagon, a colonoscopy is worth a new rake of coaches, minor surgery is worth a new locomotive and so on.)

I like your thinking Flavio but as Jamie has said, I like making models so maybe the tariff could culminate in a major operation being worth a Pultra lathe?

13 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since Jill is a nurse, I cannot see Dave getting any form of prescription for his time unless ultimately that benefits the prescription writer. 

Ah, my cunning knows no bounds. I have recently repaired no fewer than three of Jill's nicknacks, being careful to use large and/or complex items of modelling equipment and making comments such as, "Good job I had that lathe (or whatever) and practice with it so that I was able to figure out how to....." Together with the well-practised wounded soldier routine I am amassing a fair stock of modelling prescriptions.

Tee hee.

Dave 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Fear not Dave, I do know what cutoff and expansion are. That was supposed to be a joke, and probably could have been helped by the edition of an emoji. 

Also, is that a Johnson compound I see lurking there?

My comment was made tongue in cheek Douglas and probably would also have benefitted from an emoji.

Yes, it is a Johnson Compound 2633 as running in 1906. 

• Like 6