Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

This thread really has gone fown the pan.

Jamie

It's about to get much worse...

In the old days of railway restoration, lines such as the SVR or NYMR were known as preserved railways.

The posh name is now heritage railways.

Should we be referring to the royally uncurled bronze log as a heritage item?

For me, the horror of such a possibility is the sigh at the entrance to our village:

Horton

Rich in Heritage

• Funny 11

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Horton

Rich in Heritage

Well up your knees in it at least :O

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I happened to have a cheap Parker fountain pen that me daughter had given me one Christmas, with a cracked plastic lid.  It worked though so  that was used for him to sign with.   I wonder if I could profit from that in some years time.  I would of course provide a certificate of provenance.

Jamie

Ah...that could have his DNA on it.  All we need now is the t*rd....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I am on a train! Due in Paris Montparnasse just before 10.00, giving me plenty of time to get to Gare du Nord for my 13.13 Eurostar. I am hoping all my paperwork, including Passenger Locator Form and Vacc Cert, passes muster. This train is venerable loco-hauled stock, with 107313 up front, I think. Jamie will make sense of that number no doubt. My ticket cost 50% of the old price, indicating that SNCF is desperate to get people back on trains. 14.50 euros for a good 100 miles is pretty good value!

It’s a dreary, drizzly morning as we cross the French prairies approaching Chartres.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I am on a train! Due in Paris Montparnasse just before 10.00, giving me plenty of time to get to Gare du Nord for my 13.13 Eurostar. I am hoping all my paperwork, including Passenger Locator Form and Vacc Cert, passes muster. This train is venerable loco-hauled stock, with 107313 up front, I think. Jamie will make sense of that number no doubt. My ticket cost 50% of the old price, indicating that SNCF is desperate to get people back on trains. 14.50 euros for a good 100 miles is pretty good value!

It’s a dreary, drizzly morning as we cross the French prairies approaching Chartres.

Yes, I'd be economical on pencil lead and only record the last 4.  Hope that youhave a good trip and the back holds up.

Jamie

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always wondered what a blooper really was!

Having endured a visitation like Jamie I can confirm that one of the requirements is that there is a suitable I.e recently refurbished establishment for the royal derieer to plonk it self on.

The urge to erect a bronze plaque with the words Maag did one here above the cistern was resisted although one was glued to the chair she sat on.

• Funny 7

A lot of pages ago, Mr. Hippo (around 171) you posted an image of LMS 27454 and asserted it was proof that the disease of pannier tanks had spread beyond the Great Wander About. I'm afraid not so for two reasons:

- Sensible railways deny the existence of such beasts

- It's a rectangular saddle tank.

Picture below is if one's appearance in original LNWR form.

image.png.cc8ebf0b8a3a18008ed123012b0b4dc6.png

Edited by DenysW
Extra text
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

Cloning from the DNA there in

A sort of majestic Jurassic Park

Andy

For some reason the Royals seem to get a bit twitchy when DNA is mentioned. Although the Duke of Edinburgh was happy to have his DNA help identify the Romanovs that was a different branch of the family. When the remains of Richard III were identified by using DNA that didn't come from the royal family. But questions have been raised about the anomalies found in the DNA. Perhaps there's something about the rumours of Edward IV not being of royal blood? 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

For some reason the Royals seem to get a bit twitchy when DNA is mentioned. Although the Duke of Edinburgh was happy to have his DNA help identify the Romanovs that was a different branch of the family. When the remains of Richard III were identified by using DNA that didn't come from the royal family. But questions have been raised about the anomalies found in the DNA. Perhaps there's something about the rumours of Edward IV not being of royal blood? 

When you go back that far, most of us have some Royal DNA (I have antecedents from three of Edward III's children). So I am not sure how they can be certain about Richard III.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Of course we can all think of a recent example.  The previous ginger was William Rufus.

The Act of Settlement 1701 meant a trawl though European royalty, to find a protestant related to the British throne.  The first George was the closest protestant (great grandson of James 1, via his mother and grandmother), by-passing about fifty catholics with a better claim.  Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Henry VII was the great-great-great grandson of Edward III, again through the female line.  The Yorkist side of the Plantagenets are an irrelevance, given their tendency to kill each other; but Edward IV's daughter was Elizabeth, who married Henry VII.  Bill

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Having endured a visitation like Jamie I can confirm that one of the requirements is that there is a suitable I.e recently refurbished establishment for the royal derieer to plonk it self on.

The urge to erect a bronze plaque with the words Maag did one here above the cistern was resisted although one was glued to the chair she sat on.

When Her Maj came to Elland Road, a place where highly paid idiots make fools of themselves, the directors box became the royal box. This was in 77 for the silver Jubilee.  A mate and I got a 12 hour shift making sure that the royal seats were secure. Having had baked beans for tea that day i can confidently prockaim that I have trumped on such a seat.  As WB has said, there has to be a loo within a certain distance. The only one available was the one in the board room at the other end of the directors tunnel.  This had a urinal insidde the door.  So that royal eyes wete not traumatised by this sight a shelf had been put above it with a red plush curtain hung from it. A nice little pot plant on the shelf completed the scene.  One problem.  They'd forgotten  to turn thecautomatic flush off.  

Jamie

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Bad luck Blighty - I have successfully checked in. 95+% of people in Paris are wearing masks. Could that be why Covid numbers are lower here?

OTOH, for some reason my reservation has been changed. I was in Coach 3, allowing expeditious exit at St Pancreas, but now I’m in Coach 16 - out the back with the washing!

My onward journey from London will depend on how soon I can access the tube. We will see. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When Her Maj came to Elland Road, a place where highly paid idiots make fools of themselves, the directors box became the royal box. This was in 77 for the silver Jubilee.  A mate and I got a 12 hour shift making sure that the royal seats were secure. Having had baked beans for tea that day i can confidently prockaim that I have trumped on such a seat.  As WB has said, there has to be a loo within a certain distance. The only one available was the one in the board room at the other end of the directors tunnel.  This had a urinal insidde the door.  So that royal eyes wete not traumatised by this sight a shelf had been put above it with a red plush curtain hung from it. A nice little pot plant on the shelf completed the scene.  One problem.  They'd forgotten  to turn thecautomatic flush off.  

Jamie

I'm surprised that as she was about to leave the room she didn't spot this and pulled a chain in anticipation of the curtain rolling back to reveal a commemorative plaque.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Bad luck Blighty - I have successfully checked in. 95+% of people in Paris are wearing masks. Could that be why Covid numbers are lower here?

OTOH, for some reason my reservation has been changed. I was in Coach 3, allowing expeditious exit at St Pancreas, but now I’m in Coach 16 - out the back with the washing!

My onward journey from London will depend on how soon I can access the tube. We will see. 

I suspect you are probably right.

In the land of the Telf, where the majority of the population have brains that make goldfish members of MENSA, only the wise now seem to be wearing masks. The rest of them are back to maskless conversations in shops, and you've guessed it, always at the narrowest  choke points that supermarkets have.

And they wonder why we still have one of the highest infection rates in the West Midlands?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Now are you talking about the Richard III left in the jar or the one found in a Leicester car park?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

When you go back that far, most of us have some Royal DNA (I have antecedents from three of Edward III's children). So I am not sure how they can be certain about Richard III.

They were able to go back through the female line in the case of Richard III so the identification was pretty certain together with his physical disabilities (Which were exaggerated by the Tudors and Shakespeare). 

Given the royal family tree goes back a thousand years or more there has just got to be a cuckoo or two in the nest. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Re Royal DNA, His Royal Gingerness wasn't allowed to use the barbers either at Eton or in the Army. 

I'd like to remark in passing that his uncle, Earl Spencer was a serious "ginger" in his younger days. Got the same florid complexion too. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Apples, oranges. If the French were running a huge testing programme at 45 cycles and we had armed gendarmes roaming the streets, enforcing laws against hanging out washing or putting the bins out, the figures might be comparable. As it is, the comparison is invalid.

L

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DenysW said:

It's a rectangular saddle tank.

I can’t imagine rectangular saddles were popular with jockeys or cavalry troopers. Perhaps a howdah?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 9