Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Green phase? = yellow and blue??

We have a red, a yellow and a green

Or rather we only have a red and yellow :(

Andy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Since it's an MPD layout I'm trying to simulate ash/cinder ballast employing Steve Fay's method using kiln dried sand and boy,

I know where I can get the kiln dried sand, but where are you getting the boys from?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

16 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I had always thought the red-blue-yellow phases were international.  Shows how much I know!

They may well be, but I only have a red yellow  and green indicators on my consumer unit

Perhaps they didn't have any blues left in the shop.

I'm not an electrician but was aware of the 3 phases but not the colours

I  wasn't expecting a 3 phase domestic supply.

It was very confusing having a partial power cut with all the circuit breakers in.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, SM42 said:

They may well be, but I only have a red yellow  and green indicators on my consumer unit

It was very confusing having a partial power cut with all the circuit breakers in.

Andy

Having 3 phase into a domestic property is very unusual!  This is due to the higher voltage across two phases as opposed to one phase and neutral.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Do Gaugemaster make a controller than runs on three-phase?  :scratchhead:

We only have two phases to the house (really just 240 and a center-tap). It conked-out yesterday for about an hour. We had some heavy rain and a fir tree likely leaned over a bit and made contact with one phase of the high-tension three-phase distribution system.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I had always thought the red-blue-yellow phases were international.  Shows how much I know!

I was a bit surprised to learn that I could use the same color (black) for both "hot" sides from the main distribution panel to my shop despite the 180 degree phase-difference :D

• Informative/Useful 5

17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Having 3 phase into a domestic property is very unusual!  This is due to the higher voltage across two phases as opposed to one phase and neutral.

I  don't know the exact details, except I have 3 lights on the consumer board and one went out along with some of the house circuits. 

The in laws said we had lost a phase. 

Seems like the house is wired up like a street in the UK with different bits on different phases. 

It's all very odd, but seemingly normal.*

We were one of 50,000 households affected in Poznan today

Andy

* I find it odd that switching off our main circuit breaker switches off our adjoining neighbours TV signal 

They don't find it odd at all

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get appointments for flu jabs today in keeping with HMG's exhortations to get them done ASAP. The earliest we could get? - December 11th! 

Now that we have passed the six months since our second Covid jabs, the next thing is to see whether we can book for boosters. Wonder when that will be - 2024 maybe?

Dave 

• Friendly/supportive 14

24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Do Gaugemaster make a controller than runs on three-phase?  :scratchhead:

No! Only 230V (or 16V for panel mounts and hand-helds) 50Hz~ input.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At a swap meet last Sunday I purchased what looked like an old Matchbox petrol pumps model. These were made by Matchbox to fit on their filling station models. Only it wasn't a Matchbox one but a plastic copy made in Hong Kong. It is a bit cruder than the model it was copied from especially the globes on top of the pumps. I was thinking of perhaps replacing them with LED's and have them lit up. I do recall reading somewhere that LED's can be cut and filed to shape, is this so can anyone tell me?

35 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Managed to get appointments for flu jabs today in keeping with HMG's exhortations to get them done ASAP. The earliest we could get? - December 11th! 

Now that we have passed the six months since our second Covid jabs, the next thing is to see whether we can book for boosters. Wonder when that will be - 2024 maybe?

Dave 

I've been told that I can't have a booster shot until the 16th November, 6 months after my second jab.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Thanks John. (My question was intentionally bl00dy silly :D)

In my job, there is no such thing as a 'silly question'! However, how we answer the question depends on our perception of the questioner. ;)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wonder if his first name might be Roly?

With all the LDC he consumes it might be quite appropriate...

Bang goes your Knighthood.  Again.

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Can you get a quicker one in a Chemist?  There's a good chance you won't have to pay either,

29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I do recall reading somewhere that LED's can be cut and filed to shape, is this so can anyone tell me?

I'm pretty sure you can, so long as you don't go too mad on it; they're so cheap nowadays you can afford to experiment anyway.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave 

We tried to book ours at the medical practice, but trying to book was hopeless so we went to the attached pharmacy.

Virtually a walk in service!  In and out in 5 minutes.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I was looking on eBay and Amazon for battery containers to power an RC receiver and a pair of servos

It had to be a flat one with all the batteries side by side in order to fit into the roof of a steam loco.

They seemed to be a fairly constant price, and then I espied one with a built in switch on Amazon, with next day delivery.

This type of built in switch would save  some wire and would make a much neater installation, so I ordered two which would give me a spare in stock for the next time I needed one.

Today the packet arrived.

Inside were two packets.....

Each containing x 5 battery containers with built in switches!

I now have plenty of stock.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

We have a 3 Phase supply as do many of the older properties in the village. The wTer heater is 3 phase but everything else is split across the phases for balance.  However there are 6 curcuit breakers that I haven't a clue what they operate. I'm going to turn those off one day and see what happens.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Happy to:

http://www.stubby47.com 

Can I ask if the signatures show if you hold the iPad in landscape view?

My android phone shows them then, but not in portrait View.

Hi Stu

Your signature doesn’t show on my phone or my iPad regardless of the orientation.

On both devices I’m using safari!

Brian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

We have a 3 Phase supply as do many of the older properties in the village. The wTer heater is 3 phase but everything else is split across the phases for balance.  However there are 6 curcuit breakers that I haven't a clue what they operate. I'm going to turn those off one day and see what happens.

Jamie

the traffic lights up the road go dark! :biggrin_mini:

On a similar note, when I was stationed at NAS Pensacola and doing guard duty at the main gate, I wondered what a certain switch on the wall did so I did the appropriate thing. I turned it off.  All the streetlights on the bridge just outside the gate went dark! :clapping: I turned it back on and, being mercury vapor bulbs, it took about ten minutes for them to restart. I labeled the switch for future reference. Oh, and nobody ever said anything about the lights going out!

• Funny 13

32 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Just to be on the safe side I'd let your neighbours know ...hmmm on second thoughts make it the entire village. That way you'll hopefully avoid the rampaging mob of angry villagers turning up at your door wanting to know why they've not got any power.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

the traffic lights up the road go dark! :biggrin_mini:

On a similar note, when I was stationed at NAS Pensacola and doing guard duty at the main gate, I wondered what a certain switch on the wall did so I did the appropriate thing. I turned it off.  All the streetlights on the bridge just outside the gate went dark! :clapping: I turned it back on and, being mercury vapor bulbs, it took about ten minutes for them to restart. I labeled the switch for future reference. Oh, and nobody ever said anything about the lights going out!

That's like being told on no  circumstances to press the big red button. The temptation is just toooo much.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9