Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Yes, perhaps just a little bit threatening when put alongside more normal-sized tank engines.

For some reason I wondered whether it would have a cheeky face like Thomas or a stern face like Gordon. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Other examples of ridiculous liveries applied to twelve inches to the foot locomotives include an LMS 2-6-4T in Caledonian blue and a Jinty in lined crimson lake. I agree with HH about owners having the right to do whatever they like with their own property but such wilful distortions of historical accuracy rankle with me too.

You are quite right that livery preferences are completely personal and anyone owning and paying to operate a loco has the right to paint it as they wish.

However, I can't get myself stressed about this sort of thing and don't buy the "distortion of accuracy" argument.  It's not like anyone with more than a very low level of knowledge seriously believes Fairburn tanks were painted in CR Blue or LNWR black in pre-preservation days.  Anybody trying to claim they were using photographic evidence from them operating on the LHR would be quickly ridiculed when the BR Mark 1 coaches were pointed out.  Likewise some people get very upset at temporary renumbering/renaming of locomotives for special events, as if it is re-writing history in some way.  Except what is happening now, in the preservation era, IS part of that locomotive's history.  I have noticed there seems to be less complaint when (perhaps reflecting the age profile of many enthusiasts), locomotives withdrawn before 1948 are repainted in BR liveries.  One magazine columnist got quite irritated a few years ago about the Bluebell not wanting to repaint 53809 for a photo charter, because he believed the overwhelming demand was for BR liveries.  He was obviously too myopic to realise how out of place it would look in most of the Bluebell's stations, which are effectively time-warps of the 1920s and 30s; the only thing he was looking at was the locomotive.

If there is one aspect of modified identities that I do get irritated by though, it is the long-term application of BR liveries to industrial locomotives.  It's almost as if the railway concerned is embarrassed to not be operating ex-BR locomotives and seems to be based on an idea that industrial locomotives aren't real engines, that this makes them some sort of second-class preserved railway.  I can guarantee that at least 99% of the paying public don't give a stuff what livery the locomotive is in, so long as it isn't filthy.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Other examples of ridiculous liveries applied to twelve inches to the foot locomotives include an LMS 2-6-4T in Caledonian blue and a Jinty in lined crimson lake. I agree with HH about owners having the right to do whatever they like with their own property but such wilful distortions of historical accuracy rankle with me too.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Likewise some people get very upset at temporary renumbering/renaming of locomotives for special events, as if it is re-writing history in some way.  Except what is happening now, in the preservation era, IS part of that locomotive's history.  I have noticed there seems to be less complaint when (perhaps reflecting the age profile of many enthusiasts), locomotives withdrawn before 1948 are repainted in BR liveries. 

Bear seems to recall mention of  a previous owner of Flying Scotsman (I forget which one) receiving death threats as he'd painted it "the wrong colour"....:O

In other news:

Bear had kinda intended (read hoped) to finish off the brickwork - but I've decided I'm really not in the mood for bvggering about with mortar today, plus the paws are still somewhat on the sore side.  The barrier cream arrived yesterday, so it has been decreed that today is now a "pondering/planning/Co-op day".  I discovered that Mr. Wickes are happy to deliver the expamet mesh on Monday for the grand sum of four quid - which still beats the cost of buying from TP (free delivery for "Trade") by something like twelve quid.  It also means that Bear doesn't have to cut or fold it (which I really didn't want to do if possible) and use the Bearmobile to get it home.  Duly ordered from Mr. Wickes....  

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Then there's the painting of modern stock in traditional liveries, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The same applies to buses as here to mark the 100th anniversary of Eastern National.

image.png.91faf3f8db736433b988899618e6b81d.png

This is the 50's/60's express service livery (X10) which shows how good the original was. It is seen passing the former EN Canvey garage, now the Castle Point Transport Museum that just happens to contain a Bristol FLF in the same colours.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The finest example of this was the prank played when the revered 'City of Truro' appeared in the BR mixed traffic livery of lined black!

I have twice been on the footplate of 'City of Truro' , whilst she was in the city of Truro.

I must admit the 2nd time was with trepidation as she was on the covering of the Back Quay, now the Piazza, and I half expected her to crash through into the river below.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have been painting in a style best described as 'posing for the loco works official picture'.

Grey and Black are the colours, although the subject is not a 56xx or a pannier but a very old and tatty toy box that is being upcycled for Grandchild No 3/Granddaughter No 2.

I am waiting for the second coat of grey to go fully off and then I can mask up for the black stuff.

With the current temperatures, I suspect it will be Sunday morning before I risk another coat of paint.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just gone delving into a box in the workshop and come out quite shocked.

I was looking for some night vision equipment to fit to an air rifle and found a blue box containing a 4 mm scale GWR 45xx tank engine in lined green BR livery (No 4566).

Where this came from I have absolutely no idea!

I'm now off to go rummaging in other boxes, in the vague hope that something exotic (and expensive) in 7mm scale might turn up:laugh_mini:.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Richard Longley has an 0-6-2t version of a Fiji sugar cane loco based on the Fowler. It too is a bright colour, but looks more orange than the yellower tones of Neil's. I suspect the camera might be bending the truth. 

It is in actuality much, much darker and is improved engine green.  So a sort of dark orangy-buffy-browny shade!  Digital cameras hate this colour, we have three and they all make it look like it is radioactive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's a toughie.  But this is the UK - it's cold and wet.  And the first one has a roof....

Yes but if I recall, the second one is cheaper.    I maybe cynical but I'm also a cheapskate :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Now here’s a funny story that happened over over 45 years ago, although it wasn’t a prank, it certainly felt like it could have been set up as a prank. 

A friend and I had gone out one night for a few beers and after the pubs had closed we went back to my flat for a brew. He was spending the night on the sofa, as he’d had far too much to drive home. So, once in the flat we made a brew and sat down for a late night chat. He sat directly opposite me and had thrown his jacket over the back of his chair. Now, he kept his wallet in the inside of his jacket and as we were talking, I could see his wallet slowly slipping out of his pocket. All of a sudden, gravity took hold and it slid down and landed gently on his shoulder. He, gasped, went as white as a sheet and physically leapt off the chair, luckily, he’d just put his cup down on the table next to him, otherwise he would have been covered in very hot tea. Meanwhile, I was doubled up crying with laughter, as I seen the whole thing unfold in front of me and knew what had just tapped him on the shoulder. I suppose the rumours that the house my flat was in was haunted didn’t help though. He did eventually see the funny side of it though. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

All this talk about the appropriateness of this or that colour for locomotives brings to mind one of the earliest criticisms of British Rail: shortly after BR was founded, they started painting locomotives in different liveries to see what would appeal to the public-leading to the criticism that BR was more interested In painting locomotives to satisfy the public rather than addressing the needs, demands and problems of an underfunded and war ravaged railway network.

Quite frankly, as a “passenger“ I don’t give a damn about the colour of the locomotive or even the carriage stock. My biggest concern is the comfort and space available in the carriage and the ride quality of the same. My recent experiences with British railway stock over the last decade has emphasised to me that the TOCs prefer to spend money on fancy deliveries rather than passenger comfort (and yes, I do know current British [and most European] EMUs and DMUs are basically “off-the-shelf“ rolling stock from companies like Siemens or  Alstom or the like, but the rolling stock can be customised to provide an interior layout of the customers choice).

Would it be too cynical of me to venture the opinion that it is very likely that the purchasing manager who acquires rolling stock for the leasing company to lease to the TOC‘s travels to and from work in his (possibly chauffeured) company BMW? And thus doesn’t give a flying wotsit about interior layout and passenger comfort (beyond cramming in as many people as possible into a single carriage)?

Edited by iL Dottore
Posted before completion
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thinking about the inspiration for the name of this thread (clearly the famous 1936 British documentary film The Night Mail with music by Benjamin Britten and words by WH Auden), Got me thinking about it. I’ve watched it a few times and every time the sheer quality of the filmmaking, the narration and the musical score overrides the visual limitations of the film placed upon it by (or due to) the limitations of the equipment of the day.

Cogitation upon the above got my mind shooting off into two directions: firstly, it made me think of what would be other documentary films equally exciting, well-made with great narration and music (my mind drew a bit of a blank here); secondly, it got me thinking about Benjamin Britten’s music. What he wrote for the film was innovative and exciting, but his later works seem to have descended into an of self indulgence aimed appealing to an incestuous circle of “musical luvvies“. How else could you explain his opera “Death in Venice” - which features atonal singing which shoots off in all directions whenever the music threatens to break into a melody (I saw an excellent production of this opera at the Bregenzer Festspiele: beautifully staged, beautifully lit, wonderfully costumed, great stage design and singing that sounded like cats being strangled).

It seems to me that modern “classical“ music seems to have split into two branches: the innovative and yet eminently listenable form - as exemplified by the music of Jody Talbot and Arvo Pärt and the supposedly “innovative“ (but really heavily clichéd) unlistenable “music” of composers like the later Benjamin Britten and Philip Glass.

Well, I’m off to tease the doggies, record their canine protests, add a few timpani, horns and violins then flog it to the ENO for their next “modern opera” season.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6