Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I also have very eclectic music tastes, on my iPod which usually lives in the workshop I have most of my favourite music. Some will be familiar to most of you, but there are bound to be one or two that some of you will never have heard of. 

Lindisfarne

Alan Hull

Stealers Wheel 

Gerry Rafferty

Joe Egan

Joe Walsh

Dan Fogelberg 

The Eagles 

Linda Ronstadt 

Crosby, Stills and Nash 

Poco

Swing Out Sister

Clannad

Enya

The Beatles 

Colosseum

Pink Floyd

David Gilmour 

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor 

Kate Bush  

Deacon Blue

Dodgy

Nick Drake

Mike +The Mechanics 

Fleetwood Mac 

Free

Bad Company 

Paul Rodgers

Gary Moore

Heart

Debussy

Berlioz

Tchaikovsky 

Khachaturian

Vaughn Williams

Holst

I could go on, but you get the picture, it’s a real mixture. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Having recently enjoyed ballets with music by Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev, Sherry and I spent a good half-hour last night listening to and discussing Lieutenant Kijé Suite, by Prokofiev. It was originally composed as a film score. Few classical pieces for full orchestra include parts for tenor sax. Sherry knew Greg Lake used one theme from it for a Christmas song.

Sherry had her booster yesterday, has a much more stiff arm than any previous vaccination has caused. She is currently showing a new member round the theatre. If our luck finally holds, we may manage a run of performances next week. I am FOH manager next Monday.

• Like 12

Music:-

Bruckner

Beethoven

Bruckner

Brahms

Bruckner

Elgar

Bruckner

Mahler

Bruckner

Sibelius

Bruckner

and sometimes Abba, Beatles, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Procul Harum, Simon & Garfunkel - but mainly Bruckner.

Bill

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm sure that used to be Samantha's job.

Samantha, ISTR, is/was just as fictional as Lt Kijé, who was a sort of invented officer adopted by the foppy Czar. Ridiculing Czarist foibles was good news post-1917, no doubt. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

A belated happy birthday @Florence Locomotive Works (I just vaguely remember that age. IIRC it was when all my hormones were carbonating...). It sounds like you had a splendid day, young man.

It's a pity that the Yanks and the Brits get so bent out of shape about so-called "underage" drinking. In most of Continental Europe a birthday toast to our young man would be offered (usually, but not always, a glass of wine) and the Birthday Boy would be expected to partake as well!

It is claimed that by introducing alcohol to children in modest amounts and not making a big deal of it, it becomes just another foodstuff. And as the children become young adults they will avoid the whole "let's go out and get rat-ar$ed" number (introduction in an appropriate manner, obviously. Certainly not asking a 7 year old to neck a bottle of Thunderbird in one). Certainly, binge drinking is almost unknown in France, Italy and Spain.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I also have very eclectic music tastes, on my iPod which usually lives in the workshop I have most of my favourite music. Some will be familiar to most of you, but there are bound to be one or two that some of you will never have heard of. 

Lindisfarne

Alan Hull

Stealers Wheel 

Gerry Rafferty

Joe Egan

Joe Walsh

Dan Fogelberg 

The Eagles 

Linda Ronstadt 

Crosby, Stills and Nash 

Poco

Swing Out Sister

Clannad

Enya

The Beatles 

Colosseum

Pink Floyd

David Gilmour 

Gordon Lightfoot

James Taylor 

Kate Bush  

Deacon Blue

Dodgy

Nick Drake

Mike +The Mechanics 

Fleetwood Mac 

Free

Bad Company 

Paul Rodgers

Gary Moore

Heart

Debussy

Berlioz

Tchaikovsky 

Khachaturian

Vaughn Williams

Holst

I could go on, but you get the picture, it’s a real mixture. 

one or two that some of you will never have heard of.

• Alan Hull - who he?
  • Joe Egan - who he?
  • Dodgy - who he?

Three out of 37 unknown to me ain't bad going.

Have you heard of...

• Perigeo?
  • Premiata Forneria Marconi?
  • Gentle Giant?
  • Jean Luc Ponty?
  • Giorgio Gaslini?
  • Tom Waits?
  • Paolo Conte?

(and here's one from the last on the list)

And something from Tom Waits!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A belated happy birthday @Florence Locomotive Works (I just vaguely remember that age. IIRC it was when all my hormones were carbonating...). It sounds like you had a splendid day, young man.

It's a pity that the Yanks and the Brits get so bent out of shape about so-called "underage" drinking. In most of Continental Europe a birthday toast to our young man would be offered (usually, but not always, a glass of wine) and the Birthday Boy would be expected to partake as well!

It is claimed that by introducing alcohol to children in modest amounts and not making a big deal of it, it becomes just another foodstuff. And as the children become young adults they will avoid the whole "let's go out and get rat-ar$ed" number (introduction in an appropriate manner, obviously. Certainly not asking a 7 year old to neck a bottle of Thunderbird in one). Certainly, binge drinking is almost unknown in France, Italy and Spain.

Once my sister and I were of an age to be left outside a pub, perhaps eight and five, I would get a half of shandy and my sister a lemonade.

Then on Sunday lunchtime, I would be sent to the "offy" with the previous week's empty * and half a crown to purchase a quart of cider - I could choose the variety - which would be divided pint, half, third, sixth.  A sensible introduction to alcohol.  Bill

* the time when there was sixpence back on a bottle.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

one or two that some of you will never have heard of.

• Alan Hull - who he?
  • Joe Egan - who he?
  • Dodgy - who he?

Three out of 37 unknown to me ain't bad going.

Have you heard of...

• Perigeo?
  • Premiata Forneria Marconi?
  • Gentle Giant?
  • Jean Luc Ponty?
  • Giorgio Gaslini?
  • Tom Waits?
  • Paolo Conte?

(and here's one from the last on the list)

And something from Tom Waits!

You're among less than a handful of people that I know who've actually heard of Dan Fogelberg, so I'm pleasantly surprised. 

Alan Hull, lead singer and song writer of Lindisfarne.

Joe Egan, Gerry Rafferty's former partner from Stealers Wheel. 

Dodgy, are a 3 piece group from Hounslow, they had a few hits the 90s, 
Staying out for the summer
Good enough
In a room, are a few.

I've heard of
Gentle Giant
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Tom Waits
But not the rest. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

.......by introducing alcohol to children in modest amounts and not making a big deal of it, it becomes just another foodstuff. And as the children become young adults they will avoid the whole "let's go out and get rat-ar$ed........

We allowed both our sons to drink wine and shandy in small amounts when we went out to lunch or to parties from the age of about ten. It certainly seemed to get them used to the idea that alcohol wasn’t simply meant to get you bladdered and apart from a few occasions I don’t think they’ve made a habit of it. Both of them can take it or leave it as far as booze is concerned. 

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A question for you all.

I have acquired enough money now to easily purchase a proper live steam loco, in the form of a new Accucraft Ruby. Do we think that would be a good idea?

Go for it!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Even you guys with eclectic tastes seem to have a limited range. I don't have playlists, except for whatever earworms are currently operative when I'm lying in bed, but throughout the year I'll play different things. Much of the time centered on blues rock, but often interspersed with small-scale baroque on period instruments.

But now we are heading into winter, for me that is the season for orchestral - Beethoven and Sibelius are probably the main composers of that genre in my music library, but I like many others. And on special days, bagpipes.

Of course I have lots of other things - country blues, zydeco, a little jazz (most of it I don't really understand), prog rock, a bit of pub rock and punk, some celtic music, a minimal amount of other folk music and early music, a little reggae. Oh, and organ music and some harpsichord.

However, I have very little from bands which were new in the 1980s or later, not a lot of soul, very little vocal music. So I consider my musical tastes to be quite limited!

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A question for you all.

I have acquired enough money now to easily purchase a proper live steam loco, in the form of a new Accucraft Ruby. Do we think that would be a good idea?

I would - though this Bear's money would be on one of the UK outline prototypes, rather than the freelance Ruby (but everyone's taste is different).  If that meant saving for a bit longer then I'd do it...

HTH

• Like 9
  • Agree 1