Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A question for you all.

I have acquired enough money now to easily purchase a proper live steam loco, in the form of a new Accucraft Ruby. Do we think that would be a good idea?

No.  They are not one of the finest creations known to steam engineers and in my opinion rate just slightly above a Mamod SL1.

Over the years I've had to fiddle around with quite a few to make them work properly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No.  They are not one of the finest creations known to steam engineers and in my opinion rate just slightly above a Mamod SL1.

Over the years I've had to fiddle around with quite a few to make them work properly.

Is that a mogul level of fiddling or just a   medium amount?

I’ve heard the same about them but that the new ones are a bit better and the instruction have tips on how to get them performing best. I’ve also looked at Roundhouse Engines but I think they might be too expensive.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Something I learned from my father: What's your objective/objectives? Unless you know fairly clearly why you are doing something/want to do something, then the success criteria are vague, and your risk of failure is high. Plus a bit of stuff I learned on the way through life, which is: what's the full cost of getting it to do what you want it to do? Track? Space? etc.? etc.?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Something I learned from my father: What's your objective/objectives? Unless you know fairly clearly why you are doing something/want to do something, then the success criteria are vague, and your risk of failure is high. Plus a bit of stuff I learned on the way through life, which is: what's the full cost of getting it to do what you want it to do? Track? Space? etc.? etc.?

I do have track an space etc, and I own a Bassett Lowke live steam 2-6-0 which has given me no end of problems and I have been advised many times to buya modern engine, which I can now afford. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I have acquired enough money now to easily purchase a proper live steam loco, in the form of a new Accucraft Ruby. Do we think that would be a good idea?

I'm not qualified to advise you on the pros and cons of buying such a model, Douglas, but I respect HH's judgement, in view of which I would simply ask whether waiting another twelve months or so would enable you to increase your pot so that you could afford something a bit more puissant? If so, that may be a better bet than getting something now that could cause frustration.

Having said that, it is your choice and if you think that obtaining a Ruby would give you pleasure without possible frustration, then go for it.

Dave    

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DenysW said:

I also have worked in organisations paralysed by indecision, where OK or Better are never achieved in a futile pursuit of perfection.

Sadly I've worked for similar organisations; my attitude of, "Good enough, now what's the next job?" generally held me back, although I've done well enough.  Never keen on "Giving 110%" only to get all my thanks in one word (if lucky), just like the other five guys.  The guy who gave 120% usually got the job, while the company got 10% more than it had to pay for, from five other people as well!  I'm sure they must teach this stuff on MBA courses.

Re: music; if someone were to ask me what music I listen to, my honest answer would probably be, "None, really".  I prefer to listen to spoken word on the radio (mostly BBC R4 and 5 Live) but Mrs Northmoor and I do watch the repeats of ToTP (from our youth).  She has music in her car all the time but it's strange, I don't actively dislike music - not anhedonic or anything - but almost feel like I've lost interest in it altogether.

Perhaps I'm just weird.  It wouldn't be the first time that's been said.....

• Friendly/supportive 12

My musical rates have developed over time from the rock and pop of my youth ( 70 and 80s)  and the 1940s big band sounds and others force fed me by my father and now for obvious reasons I have some foreign language music ranging from folk through pop to ska.

In more recent times I have rediscovered classical music and actively support my local, relatively new orchestra., The Sinfonia Stelaris. 

I can highly recommend them. 

Andy

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A question for you all.

HH would probably prefer Sabrina on account of her big saddle-tank and Gordon's Wonderful Railway ornamentation :D

EDIT: I posted that before I saw HH's advice above.

I suppose it depends on what "floats your boat". If you just want to run the thing then get the best. On the other hand if you enjoy the challenge making things work better the Ruby might be a lot of fun.

My only experience with live-steam was my Mamod single-cylinder stationary steam engine that I got from Santa around 60 years ago. It gave countless hours of amusement, particularly when I used Meccano to convert it into a traction engine. (I converted it back to it's original form later and I still have it.)

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of our current musical listening is to American Public Radio stations which is mostly classical. We are getting a little tired of the Arlesienne suite.

My taste runs widely, but excludes rocky roll and country western.

Does anyone else have Boris Karlov, Bulgarian accordion player?

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Does anyone else have Boris Karlov, Bulgarian accordion player?

Don't have that one but somewhere, if I can dig it out, I have "My Bonny Lass She Smileth"

Here's one rendition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qU8DavR5XA

My version was recorded in Paisley Abbey. I was both the recording tech and one of the basses. I think I still have it somewhere.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A question for you all.

No.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Samantha, ISTR, is/was just as fictional as Lt Kijé, who was a sort of invented officer adopted by the foppy Czar. Ridiculing Czarist foibles was good news post-1917, no doubt. 

Well, i don't know. Next thing, you'll be telling us Samantha doesn't know how to operate the laser score board! 

• Funny 9

9 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I do have track an space etc, and I own a Bassett Lowke live steam 2-6-0 which has given me no end of problems and I have been advised many times to buya modern engine, which I can now afford. 

Having been through the experience you describe with the B-L loco, why repeat the exercise? I always wanted an iron engine Sportster, and it was an interesting bike which I had fun with .... but I only ever had one. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Sadly I've worked for similar organisations; my attitude of, "Good enough, now what's the next job?" generally held me back, although I've done well enough.  Never keen on "Giving 110%" only to get all my thanks in one word (if lucky), just like the other five guys.  The guy who gave 120% usually got the job, while the company got 10% more than it had to pay for, from five other people as well!  I'm sure they must teach this stuff on MBA courses.

Re: music; if someone were to ask me what music I listen to, my honest answer would probably be, "None, really".  I prefer to listen to spoken word on the radio (mostly BBC R4 and 5 Live) but Mrs Northmoor and I do watch the repeats of ToTP (from our youth).  She has music in her car all the time but it's strange, I don't actively dislike music - not anhedonic or anything - but almost feel like I've lost interest in it altogether.

Perhaps I'm just weird.  It wouldn't be the first time that's been said.....

In Bear's book it doesn't come much better than this....it got to No. 2 in the Charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbMikrZ91U

Pure bliss.

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

In Bear's book it doesn't come much better than this....it got to No. 2 in the Charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbMikrZ91U

Pure bliss.

Thanks for that, I’ve now got a bl00dy earworm. 

Time to play a bit of Led Zeppelin to get rid of I think. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5