Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

On 15/11/2021 at 12:41, Happy Hippo said:

(I was a very quiet, polite and studious boy.)

Where's the "Really? I don't believe a word of it," button?

Andy

Wow! There's a lot of punctuation in this post.

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I see that Douglas is indulging in flights of fancy. Surely that can't be a real workbench? You can see uncovered parts of the work surface, tools hung on hooks, drawers with items in their proper place, jars with the tops screwed on, no tubes without tops leaking all over everything. It must be out of the pages of Ideal Workshop or something, not anything to do with the real world.

In amazement and admiration....

Dave

Bear's contribution to "Workbench P0rn".....

647059061_IMG_21251.JPG.6e420287c0bdb222621ce5231e850a81.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has his Chrimbo prezzie all sorted:

Airworthy English Electric Lightning T5 for sale

https://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/lightning-t5-zu-bbd

Oh look, it's a two seater too.  You too could have a ride (on production of oodles and oodles of cake), safe in the knowledge that Bear is driving....

Or perhaps an airworthy Vampire?  £100K, to you, sir....

Airworthy de Havilland Vampire T11 for sale

https://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/vampire-t11

I would opt for the Vampire as it is an airframe I could fly myself once I'd got the requisite conversion course.

The Lightning would be an expensive ornament as I believe there is/was a move to restrict their flying to those pilots who have significant swept wing experience.

I think this came about after the Hunter and Gnat crashes that occurred a few years back.  In both instances the pilot were ex military fast jet pilots, but lacked true swept wing (both leading and trailing edges being swept) experience apart from their air display work.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sorry to hear your news GDB, condolences to all.

On the washing machine front you are all missing one very vital point re location.......................................it has to be close to the back door so the housewife/husband can go out and hang the washing on the line.............................even if it is raining/hailing or snowing...............................at least they seem to in our village.

Though you could be terribly posh and have one of those Tumble Drier thingies....:jester:

And if you live in a flat then a "back door" just doesn't exist...

8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

As the maker of the country's finest LDC****, I will shortly be instructing my legal team to initiate proceedings to counter this calumny.

You have been warned.

Dave

**** Uncertified.

Bear is available for such certification procedures - imagine the prestige of having a "By Beary Appointment" Coat of Arms above the door of DH Towers....

Of course such certification isn't just dished out willy-nilly, you understand - it requires extensive testing over a prolonged period of time, by a team of testers to ensure absolute impartiality naturally.  So you'll need to get baking....a lot....:biggrin_mini2:

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's not your workbench, there's no LDC crumbs!

A Bear never leaves crumbs....:nono:

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Somethi g good has emerged in tbe shed. A couple of days ago. I had to dig out something for Beth to lend to a friend.  In the process I found a box of slides that I had lost. My first colour slides from the early 70''s.  I'll just have to start scanning them.  I know that there are some of a Crew Works open day in IIRC 1970.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's contribution to "Workbench P0rn".....

647059061_IMG_21251.JPG.6e420287c0bdb222621ce5231e850a81.JPG

That's not a real workbench, it's a fantasy!

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Lightning would be an expensive ornament as I believe there is/was a move to restrict their flying to those pilots who have significant swept wing experience.

You buy it, I'll fly it! And all for just regular inputs of cake and Penderyn (not while flying, mind).

Dave

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would opt for the Vampire as it is an airframe I could fly myself once I'd got the requisite conversion course.

I think this came about after the Hunter and Gnat crashes that occurred a few years back.  In both instances the pilot were ex military fast jet pilots, but lacked true swept wing (both leading and trailing edges being swept) experience apart from their air display work.

IIRC flying the Lightning is now banned in all countries except South Africa. The Vampire nose is based on that of the Mosquito even being built of wood.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

I just glanced at one of those interminable, pretentious cooking programmes that come on this time of the evening, and they were cooking LIVER! 

I don't know what it is about liver, but I've always found its wobbly, glossy appearance extremely off-putting. 

As for its dry texture and foul taste once cooked...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I just glanced at one of those interminable, pretentious cooking programmes that come on this time of the evening, and they were cooking LIVER! 

I don't know what it is about liver, but I've always found its wobbly, glossy appearance extremely off-putting. 

I couldn't agree more, but I do cook it regularly as Sheila loves it, when she does, I eat sausages instead. 

Edited by BSW01
As you correctly guessed, a typo
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC flying the Lightning is now banned in all countries except South Africa. The Vampire nose is based on that of the Mosquito even being built of wood.

Unless something has changed recently, it was my understanding that Lightnings were being restored to flying condition both in Britain and the US and that clearance to fly could be obtained in both countries. It would be bl**dy expensive, mind: the last time I recall seening an estimate of how much it cost to put a Lightning or Phantom in the air it was something like £10,000 per hour. You need at least 1,000 gallons of jet fuel ( basically kerosene with additives) for a start.

Dave

PS, salary for the pilot wouldn't be a problem, though, I come quite cheap. LDC and Penderyn don't cost a lot.

PPS, I don't like liver.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Unless something has changed recently, it was my understanding that Lightnings were being restored to flying condition both in Britain and the US and that clearance to fly could be obtained in both countries. It would be bl**dy expensive, mind: the last time I recall seening an estimate of how much it cost to put a Lightning or Phantom in the air it was something like £10,000 per hour. You need at least 1,000 gallons of jet fuel ( basically kerosene with additives) for a start.

Dave

PS, salary for the pilot wouldn't be a problem, though, I come quite cheap. LDC and Penderyn don't cost a lot.

PPS, I don't like liver.

At least Avtur is cheaper than Avgas.

I can't eat liver, or kidneys.  They both make me quite ill.

I can even taste the bloody  stuff  in certain cuts of meat, and that can make me nauseous.

Direct contact with turkey feathers brings my fingers up like sausages. 

Goodness only knows how I worked in a butchers shop in my youth.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Properly cooked and with bacon and onions its quite good. To stop it drying out when being cooked it should be coated with flour.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

At least Avtur is cheaper than Avgas.

Getting the Avpin (isopropylnitrate) for the starter motor might be a tad tricky though.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can't eat liver, or kidneys.  They both make me quite ill.

I can even taste the bloody  stuff  in certain cuts of meat, and that can make me nauseous.

Direct contact with turkey feathers brings my fingers up like sausages. 

I thought hippos were vegetarian? 

And that some sub-species live on cake and whisky?

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

PPS, I don't like liver.

Dave just out of interest do you still have a pilots license? If not when was the last time you flew?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, polybear said:

Airworthy English Electric Lightning T5 for sale

https://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/lightning-t5-zu-bbd

Many moons ago I found the details of a management training course which tested students in "A high pressure, high intensity environment where problems have to be evaluated, the correct solution identified and implemented in very short time periods".  The course was conducted in the 2 seat Lightnings at Thunder City.     

I said to my then boss that I thought he should send me on this course (I had no interest in management but a lot of interest in flying in a Lightning :lol:).

He said "In your dreams ...."

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

You buy it, I'll fly it! And all for just regular inputs of cake and Penderyn (not while flying, mind).

And it's a 2 seater so there's space for me - Yippee!

I always thought that ever since the last ferry flights (back in the late 80s on their way to Thunder City was it?) the chance of getting a Lightning airworthy in the UK was several orders of magnitude below absolutely no chance at all and not only for cost reasons :unknw_mini:

Whilst Hawker Hunter Aviation Ltd maintain several airworthy Hunters for trials work, they also have a Buccaneer which is (or at least was when I went to a lecture by one of their men some years ago) technically possible to get airworthy, most likely for trials work, the chance of this actually happening is only a few chances above absolutely no chance at all due to the expense involved.

Getting the Avpin (isopropylnitrate) for the starter motor might be a tad tricky though.

Or IPN as we used to know it.  I did quite a few trials with a device that was powered by IPN many, many years ago.    Most entertaining it was too but sadly the days of doing such interesting experiments and trials fell by the wayside many years ago.    Such work was so "Last Century" ....

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I couldn't agree more, but I do cook it regularly as Sheila lives it, when she does, I eat sausages instead. 

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I can only hope there's a typo in there somewhere? 

Still is! See above↑↑ :jester:

• Like 5