Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

If only that guy would keep his ugly face out of the picture and show more of the trains! Anyway, I had the opportunity to operate this (called Atlas*) at the Branford Trolley Museum a few years ago:

IMG_20170429_110533.jpg.7cd6b7cf9daff01ea8902d4a8660cd58.jpg

IMG_20170429_110556.jpg.0b60e01bb46f1067e0d90b0db9cb0116.jpg

* Atlas because it was gotten from some industry named Atlas Something-or-other.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 14

Evening all,

Some work worthy of posting got done in the engine this evening.

It received a name.

The engine has been dubbed “Brunel” after the I.K. Brunel of great renown.

The nameplate is not the greatest example of symmetry but I think it suits the engine well. The letters are made with a punch set I bought that holds letter blocks on a system identical to those screwdrivers that have interchangeable tips.

It still needs a bit more paint and the excess flux and cleaning off.

0D15774E-289B-4D24-8EDF-288300838830.jpeg.30948ed9bd61a5eebc132dcc2b368408.jpeg

E56B63F4-3E44-45B6-BF0B-D758B64DDAAB.jpeg.931b635e550f40adb90455e7a4144973.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I just glanced at one of those interminable, pretentious cooking programmes that come on this time of the evening, and they were cooking LIVER! 

I don't know what it is about liver, but I've always found its wobbly, glossy appearance extremely off-putting. 

As for its dry texture and foul taste once cooked...

First Boss used to do Trials work on subs; he once spent several hours out at sea, rockin' n' rollin' (not of the music variety) on a fishing smack whilst waiting for a sub to surface so he could transfer (that must've been "fun"...).  Anyway, after being at sea for several weeks a sub apparently has a certain "odour" about it; he was directed below to the galley, where the cook had some food for him.  He was presented with "Sh1t on a Raft" - devilled kidneys on toast - and it was sliding backwards and forwards on the plate as the sub had yet to dive and was rolling around a bit.

That was the final straw....

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Getting the Avpin (isopropylnitrate) for the starter motor might be a tad tricky though.

Dave

These people may be able to help - an expensive way to buy it though:

ingredients
http://www.modeltechnics.com/materials.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, airworthy (they flew in) Lightnings were apparently taken in as "part exchange" when Saudi purchased Tornado from BAe (late 1980's IIRC); I recall seeing lots of them lined up at Warton, looking for a new buyer.  Eventually they went to scrap - you could buy one for fifteen hundred quid if you signed an undertaking not to scrap it, as the scrap value was higher than that.  Now if I knew then what I know now....

And I'd still have no-where to park it :sad_mini:

Unlike Jeremy Clarkson, who had one parked on his front lawn.  At least until the Council told him to remove it, that is.  It seems they did accept Clarkson's explanation that it was a "leaf blower" :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

If only that guy would keep his ugly face out of the picture and show more of the trains! Anyway, I had the opportunity to operate this (called Atlas*) at the Branford Trolley Museum a few years ago:

IMG_20170429_110533.jpg.7cd6b7cf9daff01ea8902d4a8660cd58.jpg

IMG_20170429_110556.jpg.0b60e01bb46f1067e0d90b0db9cb0116.jpg

* Atlas because it was gotten from some industry named Atlas Something-or-other.

I will be visiting Branford in my American Railways thread in due course, along with Seashore at Kennebunk. Good places.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Dave just out of interest do you still have a pilots license? If not when was the last time you flew?

I haven't touched a control column for a few years now, Douglas, so I'd need a couple of check rides before being turned loose again. A trip to Thunder City would be necessary before being cleared to fly a Lightning again.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I just glanced at one of those interminable, pretentious cooking programmes that come on this time of the evening, and they were cooking LIVER! 

You mean one of those “more than opening a packet and nuking it in the microwave” cooking programmes? :jester:

I presume that you were watching “Masterchef Professional” I’ve actually learnt a few useful techniques from MCP but it is a world away from “meat and two veg”. And having eaten (very well) in a number of Michelin starred restaurants, I can attest that there is a “method to their madness:D

I would agree, though, some of the cooking programmes are a bit hard to swallow (pun intended): for example you have two professional “northeners”, a pseudo-cheeky cockney and a faux domestic goddess and those are just the better ones.

Like most offal, liver is inedible if not properly cooked (and leaving it in the pan until is dried and leathery doesn’t much help). Properly cooked, liver, kidneys and sweetbreads are most delicious (and when in a haggis, lungs and heart are delicious as well). The only things I don’t really like are brains and tripe - although I’ve only tasted either once (may try again)

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Liver - yuk

Kidneys - yuk (semi OK in steak and kidney pie but even that is better without the kidney)

Black pudding - yuk

Tripe - blecchhhh

Lungs and heart - barf 

Haggis - yuk, yuk and more yuk

There is no known way of cooking liver that will make it pleasant and haggis is simply inedible. I have been a guest at a number of Burns Night dinners and have indulged in all sorts of subterfuges to avoid eating the haggis without causing offence. To my own detriment I can actually recite the address to the haggis (why I don't know as I can't recall ever trying to memorise it) so on more than one occasion have been asked to do so as an honoured guest at Burns suppers. Talk about making a rod for my own back!

Dave (who from now on is unavoidably otherwise engaged in late January)

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Liver - yuk

Kidneys - yuk (semi OK in steak and kidney pie but even that is better without the kidney)

Black pudding - yuk

Tripe - blecchhhh

Lungs and heart - barf 

Haggis - yuk, yuk and more yuk...

So I guess you won't be coming to the launch party for my newly acquired flying car?????

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You mean one of those “more than opening a packet and nuking it in the microwave” cooking programmes? :jester:

I presume that you were watching “Masterchef Professional” I’ve actually learnt a few useful techniques from MCP but it is a world away from “meat and two veg”. And having eaten (very well) in a number of Michelin starred restaurants, I can attest that there is a “method to their madness:D

I would agree, though, some of the cooking programmes are a bit hard to swallow (pun intended): for example you have two professional “northeners”, a pseudo-cheeky cockney and a faux domestic goddess and those are just the better ones.

Like most offal, liver is inedible if not properly cooked (and leaving it in the pan until is dried and leathery doesn’t much help). Properly cooked, liver, kidneys and sweetbreads are most delicious (and when in a haggis, lungs and heart are delicious as well). The only things I don’t really like are brains and tripe - although I’ve only tasted either once (may try again)

To crib from Dave's

Liver, yuk

Kidneys Yuk

Black pudding, good with breakfast if only to annoy a particular militant Vegetarian.

Tripe,  this used to be the signature dish at the Box Tree in Ikley and was good. Otherwise Yuk.

Lungs and heart, useful to feed the cat.

Haggis.  Yes.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Outside Castle Motors/Castle Air, Liskeard.

1601077671_Screenshot_20211116-083908_Maps2.jpg.7b051d0848e628fa64497a27d947f6c0.jpg

Didn't know Airfix did life size versions of the real thing. Wonder how much glue it took?

Edited by Winslow Boy
Not enough muchs
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

Has it got the giant smudged glue fingerprints on the canopy? 

Ah-a I know what it is. Its trick photographity. Its the minibus in the background that's real and the plane is actual 1:72 size.

Can't get one pass me.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

To crib from Dave's

Liver, yuk

Kidneys Yuk

Black pudding, good with breakfast if only to annoy a particular militant Vegetarian.

Tripe,  this used to be the signature dish at the Box Tree in Ikley and was good. Otherwise Yuk.

Lungs and heart, useful to feed the cat.

Haggis.  Yes.

Jamie

No 2 Son refers to that school of cooking as "so posh, you are still hungry when you leave". 

I've never been able to stomach liver, in any shape or form. Same goes for kidneys. 

Black pudding, I'll eat it for politesness' sake if served but wouldn't ask for it. Like rugby league and flat beer with a frothy top, it's one of those Northern things...

I don't mind haggis, which I've eaten when politeness required but certainly wouldn't seek it out. 

Tripe is perfectly vile. My Nanna Patsy wouldn't use it, which was fairly saying something considering some of the things she used to cook. I'm afraid I can't think of it without envisaging some gloomy sub-Orwellian lodging house, the sort of "duff digs" which used to be common in the construction industry.

Lungs and brains can be quite tasty, properly served, while stuffed lambs heart or ox heart is a dish fit for a king. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I can actually recite the address to the haggis

So can I:

'Get off my effing plate you bag of unmentionable and inedible sh*te.  You are the food of Orcs and no more!

Although I may ingest you partially, my stomach, who is a good judge of character, will reject you violently back to the atmosphere and thus to terra firma.'

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, mention of Sh!t on a Raft reminds me of another rather grotesque name for a meal, of which there are many offensive ones at sea - Babies Heads, being steak and kidney pudding.....not going any further on that one.

Ox Tail had another.....nope just going to leave it now.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hmm, mention of Sh!t on a Raft reminds me of another rather grotesque name for a meal, of which there are many offensive ones at sea - Babies Heads, being steak and kidney pudding.....not going any further on that one.

Ox Tail had another.....nope just going to leave it now.

We used to get tined apple pudding (Apples wrapped up in some sort of suet pastry )in which you pierced the tin, then heated it up by boiling in your mess tin.

When opened and the top skimmed off, they were referred to as 'Babies Brains'.

So a very similar dark sense of humour pervaded (and still does) both the military and the merchant service.

Here is a set of Army Mess tins:

image.png.f7b35f604536e306bd756682414eedd1.png

And an RAF set:

image.png.7e7f6a6c7514ce5b486c46b8e6d3b0f4.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

No 2 Son refers to that school of cooking as "so posh, you are still hungry when you leave"....

No 2 Son will have to let me know which restaurants they were so I can avoid them. When I ate at Heston Blumenthal's Dinner, Tom Kerridge's Kerridge's Bar and Grill and Lyle's in Shoreditch I practically rolled out of the restaurant afterwards.

One of the worst "celebrity chef" meals I ever had (and probably one of the worst restaurant meals I've ever had) was at Jamie's Italian. If that was authentic Italian then I'm Isambard Kingdom Brunel (and I, a mere amatuer, can cook better and more authentic Italian food than that). I ate there - not out of choice - but it because it was chosen for the team's evening meal by a client....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1