Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Neil,

How on earth did he get it to you?

Pallet?  

Or was it a flat pack from Cornwall's answer to Ikea?

There is a chap on Facebook who does similar model buildings and I have purchased a few from him. When I ordered my first one from him he contacted me and asked if I would like to collect it as he only lives about three miles from me. This I was happy to do as it saved a lot of postage.

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I though the previous administration was the Monster Raving loony party..:D

Strangely the MRLP and its predecessor have been very successful at getting their policies onto the statute books

Andy

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

anyone remember the screeching brakes on the Morris Marina.  An uncle worked for Ford's at Hailwood and sent down a set of their brakeblocks.  Dad fitted them in the drive with me acting as bleeder.  Cured the screech.

Dad's comment "Last time I did this, there were Germans firing at me".

Bill

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Put a sign out for The Monster Raving Looney Party (or whatever the US equivalent is).  

That would definitely cause some confusion, since I live in Canada!

The Canadian equivalent of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party is the Rhinoceros Party:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Party

which has a long and honourable history.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Strangely the MRLP and its predecessor have been very successful at getting their policies onto the statute books

Andy

It shouldn't seem strange, because genuine solutions to problems have often been found by randomly throwing out ideas (the term "brainstorming" is now considered inappropriate apparently).

Stuart Drummond was once H'angus the Monkey, the Hartlepool United FC mascot.  He ran for mayor, to the obvious disgust of the local Labour party, who thought they had a divine right to decide who did what in the town, without challenge.  One of his not-very-serious-sounding policies was Free Bananas for Schoolchildren (applying his experience as a monkey here); this was about six months before the whole issue of the standards of school dinners was brought to the fore by Jamie Oliver.  One of the outcomes of that was that all infant schools nationally - many already had such schemes in place - were provided with free fruit for children.

Drummond, despite being the joke candidate, was elected mayor in 2002 and was re-elected in 2005 and 2009, becoming the first elected mayor in Britain to win a third term but stood down when his term ended in May 2013.  I guess the local councillors didn't like the ridicule as they had a referendum to abolish the mayoral system in 2012 and it was replaced by a council leader cabinet of councillors.  Funny that a political party  who brought in a system of elected representatives then voted to abolish it when it gave the power to someone else.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

It shouldn't seem strange, because genuine solutions to problems have often been found by randomly throwing out ideas (the term "brainstorming" is now considered inappropriate apparently).

Now if we could only harness the power of joggers to heat homes for the elderly 

Andy

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Stuart Drummond was once H'angus the Monkey, the Hartlepool United FC mascot.  He ran for mayor, to the obvious disgust of the local Labour party, who thought they had a divine right to decide who did what in the town, without challenge.  One of his not-very-serious-sounding policies was Free Bananas for Schoolchildren (applying his experience as a monkey here); this was about six months before the whole issue of the standards of school dinners was brought to the fore by Jamie Oliver.  One of the outcomes of that was that all infant schools nationally - many already had such schemes in place - were provided with free fruit for children.

Drummond, despite being the joke candidate, was elected mayor in 2002 and was re-elected in 2005 and 2009, becoming the first elected mayor in Britain to win a third term but stood down when his term ended in May 2013.  I guess the local councillors didn't like the ridicule as they had a referendum to abolish the mayoral system in 2012 and it was replaced by a council leader cabinet of councillors.  Funny that a political party  who brought in a system of elected representatives then voted to abolish it when it gave the power to someone else.

A most interesting story, dear chap. And a very salutary one as well: it is clear those who have managed to grab hold of the reins of power are more than unwilling to give it up. 

As the graffiti (written in English) seen on a wall in Zürich went: “if voting made a difference, they wouldn’t let us vote“.

If I may be very slightly political here, I would recommend to all autocrats and political strongmen around the world to let their populations vote, demonstrate, protest and otherwise make a nuisance of themselves, because all that makes not one blind bit of difference (or not so that it would affect the course of history) to the how the government gets its way. PLUS there is the added benefit of being perceived as “a democratic, freedom loving, liberal and caring politician“ which in turn means that there are no impediments to you being invited to the top tables around the world.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

So you've moved all the way to France to get away from oop North, but you're suggesting I move there ??

Can't fault him all those years policing my home town.

I have been to Arran twice and the schlep to Adrossan is terrible just as bad as Heysham

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The etches for my signalling upgrade arrived from Jon Fitness this morning, and they certainly look the business.

After a trip to the hairdresser this afternoon and the collection of a repeat prescription for eye drops from the chemist, I might treat myself to a railway modelling session.

However, despite this delight, today I am deeply traumatised, but not as deeply as my credit cardis , having finally carried out a restock of my BA machined screws and bolts.

I think the cost is amplified by the low purchase order. I used to buy in by the thousand which showed a significant saving  over buying small amounts.....Which is what I'm doing now.

The plus side is they will all arrive bright and shiny:laugh_mini:.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I used to get my BA screws, washers and nuts from Clerkenwell Screws in units of a hundred at a cost of about ten percent of that charged by the modelling emporia. I don't know whether they are still in business as it's a few years now since I bought any but if they are, it's well worth going to them.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I used to get my BA screws, washers and nuts from Clerkenwell Screws in units of a hundred at a cost of about ten percent of that charged by the modelling emporia. I don't know whether they are still in business as it's a few years now since I bought any but if they are, it's well worth going to them.

Dave

I use EKP Supplies in Barnstaple.

I've used them for many years and they are very good.

They once ran a batch of 12 BA bolts for me at an odd length (to their usual set lengths) at no extra cost, and I still got the bulk buy discount.

I've just come in from my workshop where I have been tidying up.

I know it's getting tidy because the bench is not totally covered in junk as is the majority of the floor.

I originally went out to get my digital soldering station: A useful tool I've had for about 10 years..... But never yet used it.

Since it's Friday and is now getting dark, I will wait until tomorrow to fire it up as it's rapidly approaching half past wine.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My nephew was once surprised when looking to book from Liverpool to Birmingham during the evening to find that the suggested route started by travelling to London and staying there overnight before continuing via Heathrow. He hadn't noticed that there was more than one Birmingham on offer and the one he had opted for was in Alabama.

Dave

In the early days of Google Maps giving directions from A to B, their recommendation for New York to London was to dive in from The Battery and swim! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SM42 said:

Now if we could only harness the power of joggers to heat homes for the elderly 

Andy

Lots of running machines all connected by belts to an overhead line gear, which in turn is connected to a mains generator.  Sorted.

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

If I may be very slightly political here, I would recommend to all autocrats and political strongmen around the world to let their populations vote, demonstrate, protest and otherwise make a nuisance of themselves, because all that makes not one blind bit of difference (or not so that it would affect the course of history) to the how the government gets its way. PLUS there is the added benefit of being perceived as “a democratic, freedom loving, liberal and caring politician“ which in turn means that there are no impediments to you being invited to the top tables around the world.

A very young Milk Bear once asked Norman the Milkie who was the best party.  His response:

"They're all out to feather their own nests..."

Very wise, was Norman.

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

According to Google they still exist, though no website makes ordering slightly more complicated.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

A very young Milk Bear once asked Norman the Milkie who was the best party.  His response:

"They're all out to feather their own nests..."

Very wise, was Norman.

Very easy to think all politicians are in it for the money.  Even after the expenses scandal of a decade ago, it was noted that well under 10% of MPs had even been accused of anything untoward, the number found to have broken the rules even smaller.  Most politicians are actually salesmen, with a very clear idea of the way they want the world to be, and are out to persuade you that it's actually the way you want it to be as well, even if you don't realise it yet.

There is a very small proportion with a true sense of duty to their electorate, regardless of allegiance (and most of whom will not have voted for them in the vast majority of cases), but it is an attractive profession for a certain type of person who wants to control other people's lives.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago there was a plan to extend the M11 to the Humber Bridge. We were living in Lincolnshire near Horncastle where the new motorway was to run and I attended a public meeting on the issue where I reckon there were about 4-500 people. On the platform were politicians ranging from local councillors to the constituency MP, all of whom were in favour of the scheme whereas everyone on the floor was against it. After about an hour of hard sell from the platform and devious (non) answers to questions, someone from the floor said to the MP, "Since you were elected to represent our views, doesn't it strike you that you need to change your standpoint?" The MP shook his head. "Oh, no," he said, "I wasn't elected to represent your views, I was elected to represent your best interests." He and the other politicos looked quite surprised that people began walking out shaking their heads.

As it happens, the motorway extension didn't get built after all due to cutbacks but it wouldn't have benefited the people of Lincolnshire one jot anyway, whereas the benefits to the politico's business mates...........

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

We live in a village with a bypass. Entry to the village is possible from a slip off the bypass, or via a roundabout at the other end.

So buses heading into Truro had to enter, do a U turn in the village centre, and exit the same end.

So the local counciller in charge of roads ( who didn't drive) decided a 'bus gate' would be the answer - basically a bus-only traffic light exit across the bypass.

We all said no, including at the evening meetings that said councillor could not attend ( no suitable buses).

But the gate was built.

So now heading into Truro there is an extra set of lights to wait at.

And traffic leaving Truro spots the red-light at the gate so diverts through the village instead, usually way over the 30mph limit.

The councillor has since lost his position on the council.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

As it happens, the motorway extension didn't get built after all due to cutbacks but it wouldn't have benefited the people of Lincolnshire one jot anyway, whereas the benefits to the politico's business mates...........

Dave

Cynical Bear suspects that suitable digging may also have revealed hidden business interests, or perhaps share in certain construction firms etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cynical Bear suspects that suitable digging may also have revealed hidden business interests, or perhaps share in certain construction firms etc etc.

I may be wrong, but  I believe Ernest Marples, who was the transport minister who oversaw the Beeching investigation into the railways had lots of shares in his own road building company. 

Of course, so there was not a conflict of interests, he was required to sell all his shares in the company.

He, being an honourable man, sold them on.....

To his wife!

Such was his impeccable character, that he later retired, rather hurriedly to Monaco and the South of France to avoid paying a rather large amount of income tax

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In 2012 it was estimated that 30% of men in the U.K. had criminal records. At the same time 43% of MPs had criminal records. I'm not aware of any published figures more recent than that.

Just sayin'

Dave

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5