Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes the shed is well ventilated.  Perhaps i should employ the black redstarts to be my alarms like the canaries down the mines. I will ask them next time I see them. Translating their answer could be a tad tricky.

Jamie

Oh, I don't know. "Non" is self-explanatory, "rosbif" is what it sounds like, "poisson" is fish, and that probably covers most likely outcomes. 

• Funny 9

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That is how our parliamentary system works - MPs are representatives not delegates. If they were not, we might as well have legislation by plebiscite. We've seen well enough where that gets us.

Those who quote Burke's great Letter to the Electors of Bristol" might usefully familiarise themselves when the whe text, rather than quoting out of context, which was representing a quite small group of electors with business interests which even then, were controversial. 

Parliament frequently acted against the interests of the wider population, which at that time did not vote.

If we are discussing political aphorisms, don't forget "the law locks up the man or woman/who steals the goose from off the common/but lets the greater villain loose/who steals the common from the goose"

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

Those who quote Burke's great Letter to the Electors of Bristol" might usefully familiarise themselves when the whe text, rather than quoting out of context, which was representing a quite small group of electors with business interests which even then, were controversial. 

Parliament frequently acted against the interests of the wider population, which at that time did not vote.

Point of order: you quote my post but I did not mention Burke. Therefore you are in danger of damning my statement by association rather than addressing the point I was making.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Point of order: you quote my post but I did not mention Burke. Therefore you are in danger of damning my statement by association rather than addressing the point I was making.

I acknowledge your point, but appeal against on the basis that Burke's point is so well known (and indeed, specifically quoted by others in this discussion) that its provenance might be taken as read. 

Since you raised the point in that form, I don't dispute the actual substance of the point - that it is much how our system works. The problem with that, is that it requires our MPs to demonstrate how our best interests are bring served as a basis for election.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I acknowledge your point, but appeal against on the basis that Burke's point is so well known (and indeed, specifically quoted by others in this discussion) that its provenance might be taken as read. 

I will counter that by asserting that I wasn't thinking of it when I posted, though I acknowledge the sentiment may have influenced views in general, whereas it was @pH who specifically quoted Burke. Apart from that, I find your points are well made. The attendees at the meeting @Dave Hunt described were no more representative of the opinions of members of the community in general than was their MP; the sort of people who go to public meetings generally have their own axe to grind rather than genuinely seeking the common good. It is the function of elected representatives to ensure that government is in the common good; when they cease to do so, it's time to elect new ones who are a marginally closer approximation to that ideal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And of course you didn't tell him that you knew or played golf with the chief constable..

As to repairing things. I must have i herited the genes from my father. He always repaired stuff.  I have actually earned brownie points in the past few years  with two jobs.

A) fixing a front tooth back on a denture with brass rods and araldite. It was still in use 2 years later.

Before the repair:

image.png.036dfbc61d2302d5a8e3a1d463720de4.png

And after:

image.png.d9fcbd81d680e5de19f8e4fff882a06b.png

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Di-Limonene is intended for particular needs and is supposed to take a long time to go off.

There's long.....and there's looooooooooooooooong.............

:laugh:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Before the repair:

And after:

That's what comes of habitually using MEK in ill-ventilated spaces.

Here's someone who has been using d-limonene appropriately:

Blog_Oct112021_ComeOnGetHappyHandLotion_

[Embedded link to https://www.aromahead.com/blog/how-d-limonene-in-citrus-oils-boosts-happiness-nl]

Don't take it internally though; that's what oranges and lemons are for.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes the shed is well ventilated.  Perhaps i should employ the black redstarts to be my alarms like the canaries down the mines. I will ask them next time I see them. Translating their answer could be a tad tricky.

Jamie

I was going to suggest the birds use Twitter but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have a translate option like Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

6 hours ago, polybear said:

And the UK is dangerously close - if not already there - to be unable to teach the young 'uns anymore cos' the old uns' capable of doing so are past it/have zero interest in doing so/can earn far more in industry.

Bear's M.E. Evening Class College is seeking a Coded Welder to teach, er, welding.  Good luck with that one....

Well said, from a youngster.

I won’t go into much detail on my experiences as a youngster with those in such trades as I would bore you all, unless you wish to be bored.:D

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Don't take it internally though; that's what oranges and lemons are fo

One of the other chlorocarbons mentioned earlier can produce a product used in WW1 chemical warfare. I recall being told how to produce this in A level chemistry. At university lecturers seemed quite happy to describe reactions that released quite a lot of energy. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well said, from a youngster.

I won’t go into much detail on my experiences as a youngster with those in such trades as I would bore you all, unless you wish to be bored.:D

So, bore us.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I won’t go into much detail on my experiences as a youngster with those in such trades as I would bore you all, unless you wish to be bored.

Did you apply to be a sagger makers bottom knocker? Not many of those about nowadays. 

• Funny 11

31 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

I am currently getting a rapid Covid test. The strep test was negative. That mostly explains the morning.

On a lighter note the trees have begun changing color in full.

B8FAE99C-1590-416B-96E5-753B7D1084E6.jpeg.a144a706d9e56605483cb546f008cb0f.jpeg

Douglas

Thanks for reminding me to take a test.  Bill

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

So, bore us.

As yee wish.

Well, the general attitude towards anybody wishing to do anything with their hands in my part of the world is either;

A: “attaboy”

B: *expletive* off

The positive reactions are much more rare than the other. I’ve for example had some very bad experiences when restoring the mogul. Several angry BL curmudgeons gave me no end of grief over how I was “destroying there heritage” or summatother, and then made various jokes about my age and how (in direct correlation) that I must be a drug addict and party constantly. I rarely frequent that forum now.

But yes, I would say there is a culture in America that actively discourages the advancement of young people in doing anything with their hands. This is kept in place by those who formerly held these jobs. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Maybe when they turn into black redstops is the clue for you to evacuate the premises?

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

As yee wish.

Well, the general attitude towards anybody wishing to do anything with their hands in my part of the world is either;

A: “attaboy”

B: *expletive* off

The positive reactions are much more rare than the other. I’ve for example had some very bad experiences when restoring the mogul. Several angry BL curmudgeons gave me no end of grief over how I was “destroying there heritage” or summatother, and then made various jokes about my age and how (in direct correlation) that I must be a drug addict and party constantly. I rarely frequent that forum now.

But yes, I would say there is a culture in America that actively discourages the advancement of young people in doing anything with their hands. This is kept in place by those who formerly held these jobs. 

I am not sure what "BL" is  Bassett-Lowke (It just dawned on me) but I am sorry that there are folks like that. I read the same about Lionel and American Flyer trains being modified. I have a few Walthers 6-axle and All Nation 4-axle cast aluminum depressed-center flatcars that I would like to get milled to accept a KD coupler box. "Oh, you will RUIN the car's value and collectability if you do that!"  Uh, nosir, I will get a lot of use out of those cars; and, they are mine anyway.

First Edit:  Whoops, I hit send before I finished typing :huh:!

Second Edit: I just remembered what "BL" means.

Second Edit: To correct a spelling error.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and change some text.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Why not teach them to speak English?:jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, someone turned off the lights here, I better put some shillings in the meter.  The pool shed has been erected.  It still needs it's doors because some fool had assembled one of the back to front but it went together very well with help from a friend. Fortunately it was windless and sunny this afternoon.  I did curse this morning when an M8 bolt sheared when I started to tighten it up. I had to drive to Aulnay to buy another.  Cheap Chinese Carp.   Anyway everything else went together.

PB201545.JPG.45f313dd5dc5fc606ce825a15e9f7c15.JPG

On another tack can I seek some advice from the assembled brains of TNM.  I went to a model railway group meeting yesterday.  Our host is going down with dementia and has a fairly large O gauge layout in his attic. There are several locos, a dozen or more coaches and probably about 50 wagons plus the track.  Mainly of the GWR persuasion.  A lot of the wagons have been weathered and have coal loads.  Obviously in de course it will sadly have to e disposed of.  I have offered my help to Kate, Grant's wife.  He is a member of the Gauge O Guild but the E % T has closed down.  Kate says that she is worried about customs duties if she takes the stock back to the UK to sell.  The track can probably be sold via the Cercle du Zero in France.  The major sticking point is valuation.  In the UK I would put a price of £18 on each coal wagon and they would walk off the Bring and Buy stand. However their value in France would probably be less that £10 each as there is no real market for British outline.  Similarly with the locos, coaches and unbuilt kits.   Can anyone suggest the best value to place on things.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Thank you. I was correcting my post as you posted; they "crossed in the mail" so to speak. BTW, I kind of like that little gondola.

Gondola? You'd have an interesting time punting along the Grand Union Canal in that. 

image.png.6e9508ecf4fa0b47420965a467fc598e.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Kate says that she is worried about customs duties if she takes the stock back to the UK to sell.  

I know I should not be suggesting that a former officer of the law should consider breaking the law that he had sworn to uphold but how many times have you travelled back to UK with a car load of 'stuff' and been stopped by Customs - I realise thing have changed following 'B' but are you still able to just drive though - and what would the chances be for a stop and search ?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3