Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

8 minutes ago, DenysW said:

As Canal Digger got no response to that Great Bear post, I give you ( warning) a foreign green pannier tank: the Saxon D XV, modelled by Trix. An 0-6-6-0, with slinky low-line tanks by the look of it. And yes, failed to be maintainable.

image.png.872aeaf7c2cbdaa0cecb22326fc9ab7c.png

I'm puzzled by that model. How is it articulated? It seems to have two sets of motion bearing in a fixed cylinder block? 

• Like 2

Saxon D XV. I believe that the original is a compound duplex design, made to work with Klein-Lindner axles, and two of the wheelsets having reduced flanges. So an 0-12-0 made into an 0-6-6-0 by compounding.

Edited by DenysW
Reduce the typos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Saxon D XV. I believe that the original is a compound duplex design, made to work with Klein-Lindner axles, and two of the wheelsets having reduced flanges. So an 0-12-0 made into an 0-6-6-0 by compounding.

How well does the Trix model cope with curves?

• Like 2

Thank you all for your thoughts on lathes. 

At the moment, I do not have any direct need for a lathe. However, “in my line of work” the need often arises, and I was more going to be buying it as a preventative measure if that makes any sense. 

I am also not a complete novice on lathes. I use one almost everyday at work.

Re the Bear and his supposed Armageddon: I think the young people still know how to make LDC so I expect that you will now have some faith.

Re Andy’s lathes and Sherlines/Taigs: Dad is somewhat opposed to the idea of a lathe (not sure why he has more uses for it than me almost) and any purchase by me over $700 is strictly banned by higher powers, unless it’s a piece of tech. I will discuss the matter with him. 

Douglas

ps; Jamie, sorry to hear about the situation although I don’t have any advice.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

At the moment, I do not have any direct need for a lathe. However, “in my line of work” the need often arises, and I was more going to be buying it as a preventative measure if that makes any sense. 

I am also not a complete novice on lathes. I use one almost everyday at work.

Re the Bear and his supposed Armageddon: I think the young people still know how to make LDC so I expect that you will now have some faith.

Re Andy’s lathes and Sherlines/Taigs: Dad is somewhat opposed to the idea of a lathe (not sure why he has more uses for it than me almost) and any purchase by me over $700 is strictly banned by higher powers, unless it’s a piece of tech. I will discuss the matter with him. 

Douglas

ps; Jamie, sorry to hear about the situation although I don’t have any advice.

You might have said that you are familiar with lathes... I'll just say, in that case, that buying an incomplete vintage lathe would be something only to be done for its own sake. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

From my experience, being able to use any tool well is about 10% knowledge and 90% practice.

This is particularly important with parachutes.

Bear would much prefer 100% knowledge and 0% practice.  The last bit comes only when you really, really have to...

:scared:

31 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

In that case wait until the right one comes along at the right price - no need to rush in.  And let a few people know you're looking - including those at work.  Sooner or later you'll get lucky.

31 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Ah, but have they passed the Beary taste test?  Send samples for evaluation....

:laugh:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

How many signals will you be making HH? Depending on quantity it may be worthwhile producing a master then getting lost wax brass castings made. I believe that there are still several casters in the Birmingham jewellery quarter that will uindertake small volume work and then there are model concerns such as Slaters who do LWCs.

Dave

There are also people on TNM who can produce etching artwork and there are small batch etchers around.  In fact one particular TNM did an etch for Jon Fitness that started him down the road of doing his own.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Agreed; but I refer you to a common problem in music sessions, the self-taught player with thoroughly rehearsed, basic mistakes (usually wobbly timing or the inability to identify the correct key).

I agree that this probably doesn't tend to be a problem with parachutist.

Just remember 

Practice makes permanent. 

Warts and all

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, DenysW said:

As Canal Digger got no response to that Great Bear post, I give you ( warning) a foreign green pannier tank: the Saxon D XV, modelled by Trix. An 0-6-6-0, with slinky low-line tanks by the look of it. And yes, failed to be maintainable.

Can't possibly work. Both engines would fight each other as they'd be going in opposite directions.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Can't possibly work. Both engines would fight each other as they'd be going in opposite directions.

One man's push is the other man's pull. 

But it's not obvious to me why two sets of valve gear are needed.

• Like 6

That's the way I read it, too. The most powerful tank engine on the Saxon system, efficient, but limited to two units due to maintenance issues. Used for banking. Scrapped by DRG within 5 years of inheriting them.

I think it helped that the cunning Klein-Lindner axles were invented by Herr Lindner, the Saxon CME. Insert Gresley conjugated valve gear remark if desired.

Edited by DenysW
Extra text.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DenysW said:

Sorry don't quite understand your first sentence; Canal Digger receive about fourteen responses and I for one replied to his post but never mind. 

Asa far as your photograph is concerned, what a cracking looking locomotive but a compound tank engine with four sets of Walschaert gear and that arrangement of steam chests and cylinders? I'm not surprised that they had maintenance issues.

Dave

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, DenysW said:

I think it helped that the cunning Klein-Lindner axles were invented by Herr Lindner, the Saxon CME. Insert Gresley conjugated valve gear remark if desired.

The same type of articulation using the KL system enabled the Germans to develop the very useful 'Brigadelok' for their Feldbahn system.

image.png.06fd217727308ab19dcd4033bd91cf9e.png

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

From my experience, being able to use any tool well is about 10% knowledge and 90% practice.

This is particularly important with parachutes.

I assume there Big H that the 10 % is required when the 90 % practice goes well 'pear shaped' other expletives are available and you are required to remember what the instructor said to do on such occasions.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I assume there Big H that the 10 % is required when the 90 % practice goes well 'pear shaped' other expletives are available and you are required to remember what the instructor said to do on such occasions.

I seem to recall he said: You need to practice your reserve deployment sequence so you can do it pdq with no mistakes"

Funnily enough, it does work!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I seem to recall he said: You need to practice your reserve deployment sequence so you can do it pdq with no mistakes"

As a flying instructor of mine once told me after I'd made a big mistake but got away with it, " You've been lucky, you cocked up but lived to learn from it. If you don't learn from it you are a pillock and quite probably a dead pillock. Best you learn."

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I thought he was meant to be under a sports field allegedly I can't remember if it was baseball or American football

The place they're looking at is now a baseball pitch. They searched it several years ago but now they're looking in a different part of the site.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

The place they're looking at is now a baseball pitch. They searched it several years ago but now they're looking in a different part of the site.

Reading the report I wonder what would be left after underground  fires and exposure to chemicals.

I do hope for his families sake they do find him to bring closure 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Life changing incidents do tend to have that effect particularly when they are time limited as well.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2