Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

If you calculate how much it would have cost to make the Flying Scotsman from one of those partwork thingies, I think you'll find it would be cheaper to buy a Finney kit.

Dave  

Yes, a late friend was building a model of HMS Victory from one when he died. The total cost would have been about double the cost of a top of the range kit

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just learned today that the second procedure on my schnozzle appears to have been successful and no further action is contemplated pending a check up in six months time. Hoorah!

Dave

Great news Dave.

Jamie

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Greetings from a damp and grey North Hipposhire although I see from my window that it looks brighter down towards the Hippodrome. First job this morning is market shopping then I'll have to spend some time ensuring that the ursine and pachyderm defence systems are in good order as we have friends coming for afternoon tea on Friday and I've been detailed to make LDC. With luck I will be able to install the latest upgrade from CC Defensive Systems Inc. 

Have a good Hump Day folks.

TTFN

Dave

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

If you calculate how much it would have cost to make the Flying Scotsman from one of those partwork thingies, I think you'll find it would be cheaper to buy a Finney kit.

Dave  

I think the Bismarck was similar you could have bought a large scale Trumpeter kit for less. I have seen unbocing videoed of those and the hull is a one piece moulding it looks like a canoe its that big

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Greetings from a damp and grey North Hipposhire although I see from my window that it looks brighter down towards the Hippodrome. First job this morning is market shopping then I'll have to spend some time ensuring that the ursine and pachyderm defence systems are in good order as we have friends coming for afternoon tea on Friday and I've been detailed to make LDC. With luck I will be able to install the latest upgrade from CC Defensive Systems Inc. 

Have a good Hump Day folks.

TTFN

Dave

Your cake will be safe as I have just arrived in Llandudno, I passed the MD turn as quickly as possible earlier on as the car was desperate to turn and say hello. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I think the Bismarck was similar you could have bought a large scale Trumpeter kit for less. I have seen unbocing videoed of those and the hull is a one piece moulding it looks like a canoe its that big

There is a 1/72 kit of the USS Enterprise available. The finished model is over fifteen feet long.

image.png.2364c8b1b3f51557ff3074a3a034aaf0.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to my last, I will be in Margam on Friday, so you can stand the anti hippo defence force down for the weekend. Of course, this might be a cunning ruse to make you drop your guard, so should you as an alternative, beef up the defences just in case? 

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

@iL Dottoresearch the Signalling record Society for a box diagram. That should at least tell you the number of levers and usually whether they were next to the track or against the back wall. That will give you a starter for ten. And don'tforget the comfy old armchair near the stove.

Jamie

As the beneficiary of an iL Dottore signalbox build, I was happy to have a full-ish interior. We sussed the number of levers, and I identified probable lever-colours. No less than the Stationmaster seemed to concur with my suggestions. The cosy armchair was provided by yer actual Captain Kernow. 

iD does like to make his buildings as realistic as possible - hard to fault as an aim. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a 1/72 kit of the USS Enterprise available. The finished model is over fifteen feet long.

image.png.2364c8b1b3f51557ff3074a3a034aaf0.png

People often use 1/72 models on our 1/76 hobby,, anyone modelled a harbour big enough for it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

First day back in France. The 05.05 Penzance to Padlington yesterday ran perfectly, but was woefully short of customers. As I now struggle to obtain my reduced-rate Eurostar tickets - the E* ticket office at St Pancreas having succumbed when the virus first nuked their income stream - I travelled steerage class at only twice the price, but was lucky not to have anyone next to me, which made life more bearable. And at neither St P nor Gare du Nord did anybody ask for my mandatory 'attestation' that I had not been in contact with a positive virus person in the last 14 days. Nor were French customs inspecting bags at G Du N, as has apparently been the case since 1st January. 

But Montparnasse was a different tale. In the course of 17 years, I have been accustomed to simply using a ticket machine for my 30 euro journey to La Ferte Bernard. Not this time, buster! SNCF have revamped  their 'products' since Covid ate their market, and so neither the TER nor the Grandes Lignes machines want to issue a ticket to that station. Sigh. So I boarded and immediately consulted a conductor, who promised to come and see me shortly. Sadly the coach he and I were in was unlit, and he and colleagues were much occupied in righting that wrong. No dice, and after we'd left Epernon, 47 mins out from Paris, they asked us all to move to the next coach. Suffice to say the chap spoke to me a couple more times, but showed no interest in selling me a ticket! Free travel in France!

After pizzas with Alison and family, including the idiot partner, I drove home, and opened the pile of letters accumulated over 6 weeks. A speeding fine! Incurred while I was in the UK, and on a day when Alison had used my car to go to Chartres for lunch - w my permission, as her Megane was finally being serviced, after only two years..... She normally drives very sedately, but their journey took hours longer than it should have done, because the idiot partner has no navi skills, and she was very stressed about being late. She will sort it out when she's here tomorrow, hopefully also taking the point on my licence France wants me to have......

Today the usual irritating little man turned up offering to trim my hedges, which are mightily high, and so we agreed a price. The sound of hedge-trimmers is constant. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Every so often, a good idea has a rather surprising outcome.

Having watched a number of Youtube videos on diorama building, and knowing that to do full justice to the future Aberflyarff, quite a few buildings will be needed to realise the Welsh Valleys flavour.

The tool I had in mind was a hot wire cutter, mainly because I wanted some thing that would cut foam sponge, polystyrene and styrofoam without the following statically charged snow storm.

These machines varied in price, and after some research I opted for one from a company whom had delivered some very nice tools to me in the past.  In fact the price quoted was lower than the likes of Amazon was offering, and far less than something from the likes of rip off Proxxonn.

It has arrived, but I was just slightly taken aback at the size:  The bed is about 36" long!

However, after putting it together, I have to say it works very well and the circle cutting fixture is a useful addition.

I'm going to have to make a special set of brackets to hang it vertically off the workshop wall when it is not in use, because after my latest purge of old cupboards, I no longer have one long enough to take the cutter unit.

There are two versions of this machine, and I suspect that what has happened is that I thought I'd ordered the smaller one, but got sent the bigger one by mistake.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

......and after some research I opted for one from a company whom had delivered some very nice tools to me in the past. 

Does Hippo have a link to the company please?  A Bear can never have too many tools.....:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

May I suggest an alternative to binning it? I had (have) a extremely aged desktop tower that was struggling to do anything with Windows. So, upon advice of a chum, I stripped the PC back to the DOS and installed Linux with Libre Office on top. It now has been working flawlessly for a good 5 years now (and it was quite elderly when I installed Linux on it). It’s my workshop machine.

Perhaps Linux would give the laptop a new lease of life?

Thanks for that. Should not be necessary in the near term. The SSD upgrade worked and the laptop now boots Windoze 10 from power-up in a few seconds. It's pretty much instantaneous from sleep mode.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I am surprised an alcohol distiller does nt make it on to a few wish lists

If you can't find one on Amazon, Douglas might know someone who can give some hints about a DIY version.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10