Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Did you have to suggest that - now I have the Banana Boat Song going through my head

Dai Ough, Dai Ough
Daylight come and we want go home
Day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a Dai Ough

Thanks Mike!:beee:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:
14 hours ago, AndyID said:

Surely there must be a Dai?

Did you have to suggest that - now I have the Banana Boat Song going through my head

Dai Ough, Dai Ough
Day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a Dai Ough

Thank you!! Now we all have the Banana Boat Song Earworm!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, that explains the well known RAF term, "Deep in the cacky" - one that I became quite familiar with :wacko: I had thought it was some derivation of khaki and referred to something of a brownish hue but it now seems that it was more likely due to a Welsh influence.

Dave

The Irish Gaelige  and the Scots Gaidhilg for Sxxt    is CAC

Also the old english term  for left handed (or awkward handed)  is .... "Cac handed" like Arabs the left hand was used for that purpose in the dim and distant past

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The French use the word caca.  Hence one lady who overstayed her welcome at a friends house was known as sack of caca.  Officially 5he word is merde, which also means mud. 

Jamie

I suggested to Aditi she could include the above in the next French Conversation meeting. Though she said it would be difficult as the topic will be about Debussy.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I suggested to Aditi she could include the above in the next French Conversation meeting. Though she said it would be difficult as the topic will be about Debussy.

She could always start by asking whether anyone else though Debussy's music was.....

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It must pervade most of the armed forces.  I remember that the song sung by the crew of a submarine, it was 02.00 at a Ceilidh near Stornaway, was "Nobody washes in a submarine".

Jamie

I think that's a bit of an urban myth, what is absent in a submarine is deodorant/aftershave, as the active (smelly) elements can impair the air filtration/recycling system.

• Informative/Useful 6

12 hours ago, polybear said:

And there's some very useful looking wood in that rather nice packing case too..... :wink_mini:

Nothing too fancy though. It's shipping by United Parcel Service and the crate just makes it under the maximum volume for a standard rate. The maximum weight is 50 pounds but it's well under that.

It might be a bit difficult to dismantle without splitting the wood. It's held together with a lot of staples fired from a nailer that receives air from Edward my compressor.

Edited by AndyID
moinfo
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm back from hospital, having had an MRI scan on my knee.  I chose The Kinks as my music but the scan finished before they reached "Waterloo Sunset".  One problem, I got an itch on the ball of my foot after about five minutes .....  Waiting time was used to draft an article on Adams' Radials.

One moan about drivers.  If one is second in a queue at crossroads, is it necessary to be on full beam?  It just means the first car (me) is dazzled.  And if there is any risk of a collision, I ain't moving.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Bill said "... I'm back from hospital, having had an MRI scan on my knee.  I chose The Kinks as my music ..."

How modern and decadent to have a choice. You Southerners. In Leicester, last year, SWHBO assures me there was no choice, just rap music. Which she detests, and I completely agree with her.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm back from hospital, having had an MRI scan on my knee.  I chose The Kinks as my music but the scan finished before they reached "Waterloo Sunset".  One problem, I got an itch on the ball of my foot after about five minutes .....  Waiting time was used to draft an article on Adams' Radials.

One moan about drivers.  If one is second in a queue at crossroads, is it necessary to be on full beam?  It just means the first car (me) is dazzled.  And if there is any risk of a collision, I ain't moving.

Bill

I had "A golden hour with the Kinks" as my aurally administered anaesthetic as I did the ironing yesterday. It was done by the end of side 1. Waterloo Sunset was playing in the bar at the market where we had coffe on Sunday as I paid the bill. The owner was astounded that I could sing along, and knew and could pronounce the words, unlike most of his customers.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Funny 9

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I had "A golden hour with the Kinks" as my aurally admi istered anaesthetic as I did the ironing yesterday. It was done by the end of side 1. Waterloo Su set was playi g in the bar at the market where we had coffe on Su day as I paid the bill. The owner was adtounded that I could sing along, and knew and could pronounce the words, unlike most of his customers.

Jamie

Let us know when it's Karaoke Night. I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10