Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The wood burner controls are to do with particulate pollution. 

To some extent it's a case of picking your poison. Burning wood doesn't add more CO2 to the Earth's atmosphere which is better from a global perspective but it does produce particulates which is a relatively short-term and usually quite localized problem. It's also possible to significantly reduce the particulate emissions.

Burning any sort of fossil carbon fuel is a global problem and so far there are no large scale efforts to recapture the carbon from the atmosphere.

A cynical person might suggest that certain interests with major investments in oil and gas had a lot to do with the decision. Stuff like that goes on all the time here and they don't even try to hide it.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

We have now accumulated fifteen inches of snow, and it's still snowing :o

This is not the snow of my yoot. Ho no! Want to make a snowman or start a snowball fight? Not on your nellie. This stuff is like talcum powder. The good news is snowblowers can move it easily without clogging up.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

This is not the snow of my yoot. Ho no! Want to make a snowman or start a snowball fight? Not on your nellie. This stuff is like talcum powder. The good news is snowblowers can move it easily without clogging up.

Sounds like 's no fun.....

(see what I did there? Clever, eh?)

• Funny 11

6 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Sounds like 's no fun.....

(see what I did there? Clever, eh?)

Clever indeed :D

We are fortunate to live out in the sticks and it's really incredibly beautiful. As I type this the view from my window looks like a highly improbable Christmas Card. Meanwhile it's a slushy mess in town :(

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Snowblowers are pretty rare around here. The snow we get quickly turns to something more like mud than talc. As you say, that kind of snow can easily clog a snowblower. It also encourages you to shovel snow as soon as you can after it’s fallen, while it’s still reasonably non-compacted.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those that are not absolutely crazy about partying tomorrow night:  Or who are quite happy with the restrictions the past two years have placed upon us:

https://fb.watch/adNfS8b_w8/

We don't generally make much of New Year. I've no idea what is happening this year, but over the past couple of weeks we've carol singing on the green, had a really successful reunion with some old friends, plus various visits to, from and with our children and grandchildren so I'm not hugely concerned. 

I've got one box of LFT tests in my desk, they are mandatory twice weekly at work. That will get me into the New Year. Past that, I neither know nor much care; I will get paid either way. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, pH said:

Snowblowers are pretty rare around here. The snow we get quickly turns to something more like mud than talc. As you say, that kind of snow can easily clog a snowblower. It also encourages you to shovel snow as soon as you can after it’s fallen, while it’s still reasonably non-compacted.

That's like the stuff we typically get here. I rigged up a blower that attaches to the power takeoff at the back of my little tractor but I was only able to use it successfully on one occasion. It's much simpler just to push the snow around with a blade.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Our local GP practice has run out of LFT kits, as have both pharmacies hereabouts but.on a tip off from a friend I picked up a couple of boxes from the swimming pool today. Makes you wonder.....

Dave

Did they make you jump into the pool wearing your pajamas, tread water for 5 minutes and then retrieve the test kit off the bottom of the pool where it had been tied to a rubber brick?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Did they make you jump into the pool wearing your pajamas, tread water for 5 minutes and then retrieve the test kit off the bottom of the pool where it had been tied to a rubber brick?

Like Minibrix? I don't seem to be able to find mine.

• Funny 8

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's the only way I can swim. 

Like the brick. 

I've mastered the art of floating gently.

Much less effort

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

30 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Who mentioned Minibrix, I've got a boxful of them in the shed.

Jamie

Cool! Are they still usable? The ones I had were starting to perish fifty years ago. (I'm not sure what happened to them. Probably went the same way as the Hornby clockwork stuff that mysteriously disappeared from the attic.)  I seem to remember the trick was to lubricate Minibrix with a damp sponge prior to assembly.

Come to think of it they could be useful as a means of creating a quick 3D approximation for the general outline of a building on a layout to see if the proportions are about right.

Edited by AndyID
typo, yet again!
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Cool! Are they still usable? The ones I had were starting to perish fifty years ago. (I'm not sure what happened to them. Probably went the same way as the Hornby clockwork stuff that mysteriously disappeared from the attic.)  I seem to remember the trick was to lubricate Minibrix with a damp sponge prior to assembly.

Come to think of it they could be useful as a means of creating a quick 3D approximation for the general outline of a building on a layout to see if the proportions are about right.

Yes they are still usable and must be mostly atbleast 65 years old. Some bits perished.  Yes lubrication was the key.  I licked mine. Actually the idea of using them to mock up buildings has sparked the old brain cells. I might look them out.

If I do I will post some pictures. I've still got the Meccano, some of it dates from the very early days and belonged originally to my father..  My brother bought my half of the Dinky Toy collection a few years ago.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

My granddaughter has apparently been introduced to the notion of sending Lego figures etc on journeys using the train set. Going to be a busy year, I think.. 

Good for her! The importance of toys should never be underestimated.

I parleyed extensive knowledge of a Tri-ang (Standard Track) trainset into this:

scan0008.jpg.08ea3e3949382fa286e25487f7bbab37.jpg

which allowed me to join the brain drain :(

(I was a director in a UK tech company but a US company payed me more to be a staff engineer.)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 29/12/2021 at 23:48, jamie92208 said:

I think that I'm heading for the dark side, 

….panniers and green thingys with oddly placed copper…

[cue Zen like Japanese inspired music…]
To defeat the GWR you must become the GWR:

Think like Swindon, move like Paddington, breathe like Bristol.

Only by embracing Middle Chrome Green, understanding the terrible beauty of polished brass and copper, mastering the arcana of the Mink, the Mica and the Toad can you find within you the strength to win…

There is no other way: the mighty oak is snapped by the storm, the reed bends and survives…

[end Zen like Japanese inspired music…]

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is a beer in the fridge (it is called Über and is from the Old Dairy brewery at Tenterden station, described as a hoppy pale ale and is best at slightly below room temperature), I've already started on the Stilton and there is port on the sideboard.  I'm also collating the South Western Circle photographic collection until I become "tired and emotional.  Further postings may be incoherent so may I wish you all a Happy New Year.    Bill

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, AndyID said:

Meanwhile it's a slushy mess in town :(

I should imagine that's what Telford, Wellington, Oakengates and Newport will be at chucking out time in the early hours of tomorrow.

There will be comatose Rhinopiggasuarus in the gutter with  what's left of the LBD and heels having seen better days. True Telfs will be playing reverse Jenga where they see how high they can build the pile before it collapses (using their vomit), and then there will be the traditional flood the footbridge stairwells at Wellington station where copious amounts of urine will be sprayed down the stairs trying to create a new year's waterfall.

One shall not be partaking of any such vile revelries and am content with the glass of Bucks Fizz currently alongside myself, and looking forward to savoury nibbles and a corned beef sandwich made from some fresh home made bread.  I certainly know how to live the high life!

The Penderyn may, or may not make an appearance later on.

There will be no point in going to bed at a sensible time, as the well to do folk in the next village over will have a Fireworks display, that if previous years are anything to go by, will rival the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Testing, testing, testing 

A couple of friends expected tonight.

Testing in progress.

Looking good so far 

Beer cooling, vodka freezing

I may be some time

Happy New Year everyone

May it be a lot better for us all.

Opening salvos of the barrage have already started here