Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

You might thinks so, but given the right set of circumstances it it can actually make things worse :D

Can I wear the tinfoil as a hat to avoid panneritis.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Edit: BTW, that's a small scale version of the EMP produced by nuclear weapons.

ISTR that Ruskie Aircraft (not sure if that's just the Bombers) use Valves rather than I.C's cos' they're a lot more tolerant of bl00dy great EMP Pulses.

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

It seems that my choice to eschew DCC was the correct one for reasons I didn't even know about!

Dave

Bear's reason (so far) is that decent sound chips cost an arm and a leg; hopefully that might change by the time a certain Bear finally gets off his furry ar5e and builds something....

The other reason is that sound chips tend to sound a lot better in 7mm, and not so great in 4mm :sad_mini:

57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's very interesting as my interpretation of Woke from a UK perspective seems to be a term describing those who are permanently offended by matters that they want other people to be offended by, when those other people have not the slightest bit of interest in being offended in the first place.

In Bear's book it's another of those terms that those who wish to baffle with bullsh1t rather than dazzle with brilliance tend to use.  It joins the ranks of:

HR (was Personnel)

Procurement (was Purchasing)

etc. etc....

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

You need a pipe!

In other news, we went round to a friends house at 1700 for some nibbles.

The event was supposed to end at 1900 so we could get home for a late snack before retiring for the evening.

We've just got back having had an argument with sparkling wine, beer, a bottle of whisky, gin and Baileys.

Needless to say the alcohol lost the fight, and I've just got in and am still able to communicate in a reasonably lucid manner.

I had a venrngiuovjlsdfnl l;ji  lkjl ijopij cs, fkln lxknl;jvg nrth. bc;lkp\]ojudf097ur 08su hc;xlnvxlkm

Bed I think.....

Switched to Welsh there at the end, I see!:yahoo:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Please understand the term "woke" has serious racial implications and it has been commandeered by certain political factions in the US as a code word. It's basically an insult with racist undertones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

One  has to be very careful when dealing with different interpretations and meanings across borders (and I would guess even in different areas of the same country).   I once took part in an online bridge session with players from various countries.  Everyone was playing under a nom-de-plume and I chose a nickname that I had had for years as a youngster - Wasp.   It didn’t go down well with some players on the other side of the Atlantic.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

But surely this is reinforcing ,  not treating, PS

Andy 

Possibly-I guess it's a bit like rewarding an alcoholic for drinking non-alcoholic beverages with a sweet.

Now where's that pannier video I was looking at.....

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmmm.

Back in pre-PC/Woke days, when language was somewhat more - for want of a better word - “robust”, psychiatrists and psychologists referred to degrees of mental impairment by a variety of terms (now no longer used in the professions but still used by the general public).

This, together with Dear Winnie’s observation, got me thinking: what if degrees of MRE were to be described in similar terms…

oh, don’t mind *******, he’s a bit slow - he was born with LMS-philia” 

I’m sorry, Mr and Mrs *******, but young ******* has severe BR-pathy and is would be best cared for in an institution

I would like to bring M’Lud’s attention to the medical evaluation of Mr *****, which shows that far from being a vandal, Mr ***** is afflicted by GWR-ettes Syndrome which causes him to have outbursts of painting things green…

”….as doctors-in-training you have learnt that an individual with LNER-itis will frequently dress in black with his or her name picked out in gold letters and will express the delusion that they have to get to Scotland as quickly as possible…

(Dons tin hat and retires behind parapet…)

Blue with yellow ends?

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

For a moment there I thought that you were advocating the wearing of a tinfoil hat but then realised that the recent references to woke and panniers had pushed my thoughts down that road.

Dave

A tin foil hat only increases the likelihood of panneritis.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

ISTR that Ruskie Aircraft (not sure if that's just the Bombers) use Valves rather than I.C's cos' they're a lot more tolerant of bl00dy great EMP Pulses.

Bear's reason (so far) is that decent sound chips cost an arm and a leg; hopefully that might change by the time a certain Bear finally gets off his furry ar5e and builds something....

The other reason is that sound chips tend to sound a lot better in 7mm, and not so great in 4mm :sad_mini:

In Bear's book it's another of those terms that those who wish to baffle with bullsh1t rather than dazzle with brilliance tend to use.  It joins the ranks of:

HR (was Personnel)

Procurement (was Purchasing)

etc. etc....

Our local version of that is the Defence Fulfilment Centre:

It used to be called a Stores Depot!

At least you knew what it was back then.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Interestingly, the use of a 'probe' was not required when working with Fleet Air Arm helicopters, as as they had built in static discharge.  The question that had to be asked was if they could fit them to Navy assets, then why not RAF and AAC helicopters?

Have you never noticed the amount of 'static' generated when fishheads are involved in a conversation?

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Pore speling
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Have you never noticed the amount of 'static' generated when fishheads are involved in a conversation?

Dave

Come to mention it, yes!

It comes as a bit of a shock to realise that they didn't actually dissipate the static, but stored it instead.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's very interesting as my interpretation of Woke from a UK perspective seems to be a term describing those who are permanently offended by matters that they want other people to be offended by, when those other people have not the slightest bit of interest in being offended in the first place.

However, far more toxic is the 'Cancel Culture' where you can be ridiculed, castigated and even forced out of your job because you hold a valid opinion which is seen as contrary to what you 'should believe'.  You are only entitled to an opinion if it conforms to what the mob want.

I'd recommend Orwell's quite brilliant essay "Politics and the English Language" in which the subject is fully covered. It is essentially the basis for the middle section of "1984". 

Koestler's "Darkness at Noon" is heavy going for modern readers but was extremely influential in its time. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, polybear said:

ISTR that Ruskie Aircraft (not sure if that's just the Bombers) use Valves rather than I.C's cos' they're a lot more tolerant of bl00dy great EMP Pulses

It would certainly have that effect but I suspect it's more likely due to economic reasons and "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

It's also possible to "harden" electronic stuff to make it much less susceptible to EMP and miniaturizing devices automatically tends to do that. The pulse coupling effect depends on the length of the antenna. In modern chips the wires are so short they don't pick up or radiate a lot of energy.

Hardening is the opposite of preventing the equipment from radiating and interfering with wireless transmissions and the techniques used are the same for both. It also makes it more difficult to do electronic "snooping".

At one time I was in charge of a department that was responsible for EMC compliance which was interesting because some of the engineers were working on meeting certain US standards that I'm not allowed to discuss. What was more interesting was that as a foreigner I was not supposed to even know what they were doing :D

The company sold communication equipment and you needed two units, one at each end of the wire to encode and decode the data and voice. A certain government agency bought a single unit.

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

You are supposed to earth an aircraft before defueling it... 

Some Saudi ground crew  put the barrel under the wing of an aircraft to collect the last dregs. And then opened the valves ... then connected the earth strap....

Bang!!!

Saudi firecrew turned up, as usual in silver fireproof suits and flipflops....

Aircraft burnt out, 

When the king was due for a visit, they wrapped the concrete building it was in, in green netting in an  attempt to hide it..

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

00 Gauge, 3rd Rail Linear Induction anyone?

Please see 

There is one commercial premises on Beech Road. It looks like a small factory or warehouse. There are no signs outside and its surrounded by security fencing. It looks quite new so I doubt if it has anything to do with the  model.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

You are supposed to earth an aircraft before defueling it... 

Some Saudi ground crew  put the barrel under the wing of an aircraft to collect the last dregs. And then opened the valves ... then connected the earth strap....

Bang!!!

Saudi firecrew turned up, as usual in silver fireproof suits and flipflops....

Aircraft burnt out, 

When the king was due for a visit, they wrapped the concrete building it was in, in green netting in an  attempt to hide it..

Even when we re-fueled our little Cessna from jerrycans, the aircraft was earthed and this had to be physically checked by another before fuelling could commence.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Well some strange developments on TNM 

No wonder railway modellers are sometimes referred to as weirdos :jester:

You forgot the weirdest behaviour - a liking for pannier tanks.

(Well, it really was too good an opportunity to miss)  

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

17 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Someone else noticed our tame(?) Hippos obsession with panniers :D

Potentially extremely dangerous. I wouldn't mess with him. They kill around 500 people every year in Africa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Bear heard a story (from the horses mouth, so to speak) of an incident in Malaysia involving a broken gearbox cooling fan drive shaft that was awaiting return to the manufacturer for non-destructive testing and examination to find the reason for the breakage; the shaft was sitting on a bench awaiting packing.  The Navy guys were running around like headless chickens getting ready for a visit by the Chief of Navy, who had expressed an interest in seeing this shaft.  The In-country Rep. from the manufacturer walked into the Flight Hangar to discover....one of the guys polishing the broken end of the shaft with wet n' dry....:banghead:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10