Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Even when we re-fueled our little Cessna from jerrycans, the aircraft was earthed and this had to be physically checked by another before fuelling could commence.

In some climates it's a good idea to bring yourself and your car to the same potential before you touch the door handle. The best way to do that is to do it through a resistor to limit the current but you can also use a key so that the arc forms at the end of the key rather than at the tip if your finger. The trick with discharging is to limit the rate of charge/discharge and eliminate the potential difference over time.

I would think military organizations would try to limit the rate to try to prevent any arcing. An arc is a dead giveaway of position.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Just out of interest Aldi special buys this Thursday sees them selling a Dymo label printer for just less than £15. I have been looking for one for a while but couldn't find one for less than £40. I thought it could be useful for labelling electrics under baseboards and various other projects. Tapes are widely available on eBay and Amazon. They even do iron on tapes.

You can also order them online as I have done but you have to buy them with a couple of rolls of tape. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I used to use Dymo tapes for labelling lots of things as they were used for many applications in the RAF such as labelling changing room lockers, filing cabinets etc. (I've even seen them used in cockpits) and were readily available for the odd private use ^_^. I haven't seen one for years, though, and didn't realise they were still being produced, or at least still for sale. I may well look out for one as the labels are extremely hard wearing and the adhesive is still good on some I've had for at least forty years.

Dave

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

00 Gauge, 3rd Rail Linear Induction anyone?

Please see 

Nice, but I don't think it's a linear induction motor. Induction motors induce an alternating current in a conductive rotor or linear plate. That looks more like a magnetic impulse thingy :)

Is it powered by AC or DC?

Edited by AndyID
question
  • Informative/Useful 3

20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I used to use Dymo tapes for labelling lots of things as they were used for many applications in the RAF such as labelling changing room lockers, filing cabinets etc.

At my first police station, we were delivered of a Chief Inspector upon whom the Good Lord had vested no saving graces, or endearing qualities.

He was moved to us from the force driving school as he awaited trial on a serious charge relating to a POLAC (Police Accident)

He was obsessed with Dymo tape, and on one wall of his office had the names of every officer in the sub-division, their joining date, their skills, courses attended, and of course...driving grade.

On entering his office one Monday morning, to find Dymo tape strips advertising "window" - "floor" - "desk" - "chair" - "telephone" his reaction, was predictable.

His explosive reaction when returning to his beloved orange Austin Maxi at the end of one day can only be imagined when he saw the petrol flap open, the cap loose and a pile of sugar on the ground beneath the filler cap.

But, in fairness, he got the station a new cooker for the mess room................he came to the conclusion that the existing one was u/s, because every time he put his faggots in the oven, he would return to check on them and the cooker appeared to have tripped out, or switched itself off.

In South Wales at that time, our nick (the force 'punishment station') was known far and wide as "The Hill" - as our Chief Constable was of the opinion the t.v. servies "Hill Street Blues" had been filmed there, without his permission.

Edited by br2975
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I used to use Dymo tapes for labelling lots of things as they were used for many applications in the RAF such as labelling changing room lockers, filing cabinets etc. (I've even seen them used in cockpits) and were readily available for the odd private use ^_^. I haven't seen one for years, though, and didn't realise they were still being produced, or at least still for sale. I may well look out for one as the labels are extremely hard wearing and the adhesive is still good on some I've had for at least forty years.

Dave

My son has a label maker that works off a computer (best not say PC, after Brian's exploits).  The labels are very hard wearing, I put some on my rifles so that the serial numbers are big and bold.  been on for at least 7 years now without fading or attempting to peel off the breech housings  where they were affixed.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, br2975 said:

At my first police station, we were delivered of a Chief Inspector upon whom the Good Lord had vested no saving graces, or endearing qualities.

He was moved to us from the force driving school as he awaited trial on a serious charge relating to a POLAC (Police Accident)

He was obsessed with Dymo tape, and on one wall of his office had the names of every officer in the sub-division, their joining date, their skills, courses attended, and of course...driving grade.

On entering his office one Monday morning, to find Dymo tape strips advertising "window" - "floor" - "desk" - "chair" - "telephone" his reaction, was predictable.

His explosive reaction when returning to his beloved orange Austin Maxi at the end of one day can only be imagined when he saw the petrol flap open, the cap loose and a pile of sugar on the ground beneath the filler cap.

But, in fairness, he got the station a new cooker for the mess room................he came to the conclusion that the existing one was u/s, because every time he put his faggots in the oven, he would return to check on them and the cooker appeared to have tripped out, or switched itself off.

In South Wales at that time, our nick (the force 'punishment station') was known far and wide as "The Hill" - as our Chief Constable was of the opinion the t.v. servies "Hill Street Blues" had been filmed there, without his permission.

How did the trial go.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Batman had a label printer. 

He also had a terrible memory which is why he needed the label printer to label everything in the bat cave.

Alfred included I shouldn't wonder

Holy embossed plastic Batman!

Andy

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, br2975 said:

It wasn't Kenfig Hill by any chance was it.

Jamie

• Like 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear heard a story (from the horses mouth, so to speak) of an incident in Malaysia involving a broken gearbox cooling fan drive shaft that was awaiting return to the manufacturer for non-destructive testing and examination to find the reason for the breakage; the shaft was sitting on a bench awaiting packing.  The Navy guys were running around like headless chickens getting ready for a visit by the Chief of Navy, who had expressed an interest in seeing this shaft.  The In-country Rep. from the manufacturer walked into the Flight Hangar to discover....one of the guys polishing the broken end of the shaft with wet n' dry....:banghead:

Midland Red's Swadlincote garage was burglared, the miscreants left finger prints all over. On being told that management were going to inspect someone hastily went round cleaning every surface, before the police had the chance to examine the dabs.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

It wasn't Kenfig Hill by any chance was it.

Nope, not Kenfig Hill

Here's the South Walian equivalent of 'Hill Street' aka "The Hill" in all its glory......

When I arrived at the No.8 Police Training Centre, I was asked "where are you posted /"

Every time I told anyone, the quick reply was "what have you done wrong ?"

Messroom window, first floor, far left - then moving to the right, the Chief Inspector's office, then the Superintendent's office.

The things I've seen from that messroom window, from USAF armaments convoys passing through in the dead of night, to an Argentinian 'Pucara' trophy of war......as for the Bloodhound missile, that was a story in itself !!!! 

None of which would have suppressed the locals; one of whom even stole the lead flashing off the flat roof on the right, we even had the messroom Kit Kat machine 'screwed' - not by a cop, I hasten to add..

My cousin worked here before me, another cousin served alongside me on the same group, my brother served here after me, and  it was my daughter's first posting.

I could write a book on the place, and its characters - but, there is a thing called the  'statute of limitations'

However, I'll leave it to Happy Hippo to tell you the name of the station.

Ely Police Station.jpeg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9

Evening all,

Today was a fairly rubbish day.

In short I had to rip out the drivetrain on the engine.

In an exceptionally good example of my own foolishness I decided this afternoon to move the wheels on the engine inward by 4mm as they were out of gauge. 

This meant the removal of all wheels.

4 hours later they had been returned to their axles 6 times and incorrectly quarter four times, I had managed to slice my finger open and the front bogie axle had developed a problem. After another hour the engine for reasons best left unsaid made a very quick flight across the workshop landing in some Meccano cranes which broke its fall. To my surprise and somewhat my frustration no serious harm was done to the engine other than some bent parts, as was looking for an excuse to stop work.

However with an aching back courtesy of the designer at IKEA who doesn’t know how to make a desk chair, I persevered and finally managed to get the quartering on point, but unfortunately the drive system has developed some untraceable fault in the gearing.

So I uninstalled it. Which means, I can now fit a backhead and cab detail. The intention is to have the motor in the tender now. The the tender frames were also erected this AM.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 12

43 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The intention is to have the motor in the tender now.

Scratch that.

The new plan at the moment is to install a large open frame O scale motor between the frames of the engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acme-1000-X1350-O-Scale-Open-Frame-Motor-/393735557345?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I’m currently looking at a motor like this which I think will fit best. However I’m not entirely sure how to attach it to the frames, more specifically the center stretcher/cross brace. There’s also the possibility that it’s to big. In this case do we think an ho scale large Pittman would have enough power for this engine?

I’m choosing open frames as a can motor would be very difficult to attach to the frames, I think. 

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Scratch that.

The new plan at the moment is to install a large open frame O scale motor between the frames of the engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acme-1000-X1350-O-Scale-Open-Frame-Motor-/393735557345?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I’m currently looking at a motor like this which I think will fit best. However I’m not entirely sure how to attach it to the frames, more specifically the center stretcher/cross brace. There’s also the possibility that it’s to big. In this case do we think an ho scale large Pittman would have enough power for this engine?

I’m choosing open frames as a can motor would be very difficult to attach to the frames, I think. 

Douglas

2 hours ago, br2975 said:

Nope, not Kenfig Hill

Here's the South Walian equivalent of 'Hill Street' aka "The Hill" in all its glory......

When I arrived at the No.8 Police Training Centre, I was asked "where are you posted /"

Every time I told anyone, the quick reply was "what have you done wrong ?"

Messroom window, first floor, far left - then moving to the right, the Chief Inspector's office, then the Superintendent's office.

The things I've seen from that messroom window, from USAF armaments convoys passing through in the dead of night, to an Argentinian 'Pucara' trophy of war......as for the Bloodhound missile, that was a story in itself !!!! 

None of which would have suppressed the locals; one of whom even stole the lead flashing off the flat roof on the right, we even had the messroom Kit Kat machine 'screwed' - not by a cop, I hasten to add..

My cousin worked here before me, another cousin served alongside me on the same group, my brother served here after me, and  it was my daughter's first posting.

I could write a book on the place, and its characters - but, there is a thing called the  'statute of limitations'

However, I'll leave it to Happy Hippo to tell you the name of the station.

Ely Police Station.jpeg

Ely. A place best avoided. The only residents who don't cause to much grief and aggravation reside in the cemetery.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Just out of interest Aldi special buys this Thursday sees them selling a Dymo label printer for just less than £15. I have been looking for one for a while but couldn't find one for less than £40. I thought it could be useful for labelling electrics under baseboards and various other projects. Tapes are widely available on eBay and Amazon. They even do iron on tapes.

You can also order them online as I have done but you have to buy them with a couple of rolls of tape. 

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker | Handheld Label Maker Machine | Ideal for Office or Home https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030E5WYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_KXAPEEG0JMFZZCTPFQX3

It's one of these Aldi price for the printer £14.99

I bought one of those at the Christ Central Thrift Store for three dollars, still in its original (but opened and used a little) package along with two or three rolls of tape.  A six-pack of rolls found floating in that South American river cost me more than the machine! :biggrin_mini:

Note that the label maker runs on batteries or the supplied wall wart.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit, again.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Scratch that. The new plan at the moment is to install a large open frame O scale motor between the frames of the engine.

Douglas

Stay away from that motor, it appears to be worn out and will definitely need new brushes. And it is hard to see, but that commutator is badly cacked:

1782801301_Screenshot2022-01-17at17-48-40Acme1000-X1350OScaleOpenFrameMotoreBay.jpg.6b084b070600c2187d5e51cffd10b658.jpg

As far as mounting a can motor to the chassis, that is probably more easy easier than mounting an open frame motor. Experientia docet. TyWraps to the rescue.

Remind me later, I will look around and se if I have anything suitable.

As a thought; unless you plan on having BRUNEL hauling iron ore out of the Mesabi, a decent HO motor will work just fine. After all, he is just a 4-4-0.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To insert the correct photo.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I have a slightly older Dymo label maker (the battery type).  I thought it was going wonky as the printing was getting faint, but replacing the batteries put back to new.

I also have a couple of the old embossing type, but very little of the tape left.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

….The company sold communication equipment and you needed two units, one at each end of the wire to encode and decode the data and voice. A certain government agency bought a single unit.

This suggests a certain amount of illicit(?) “reverse engineering” was planned for the device.

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

You forgot the weirdest behaviour - a liking for pannier tanks.…

Sorry, Mr Hunt, but are you a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist who can make such a statement?

I think not.

That is definitely “Fake News”

Anyone reputable in the profession can attest that a liking for pannier tanks is a sign of a normal and healthy mind.

As for LMS crimson, may I refer you to the DSM-IV?

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

…Potentially extremely dangerous. I wouldn't mess with him. They kill around 500 people every year in Africa.

Damn straight. More people are killed each year by p1ssed-off herbivores than by carnivorous predators.

Hippos, water buffalo, bison, elk, holsteins, etc. - they’re all death on four legs. 
Extremely tetchy bear? - you’ve got a chance* Extremely tetchy bison? KYA goodbye…

*she-bears with cubs are a very different story. Upset momma bear and you’re dead. Full Stop.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

This suggests a certain amount of illicit(?) “reverse engineering” was planned for the device.

Nothing illicit about reverse engineering although things can get a bit sticky if you use the knowledge gained to copy a product. In this case I think there was a desire to be able to intercept communications if the need ever arose which is quite understandable and can also be entirely legal.

It was probably all moot anyway as these were exciting times in the field of communications. At that time everything was TDM (time division multiplexing) and there was a big debate about what was going to replace it.

ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) was a strong contender because it was better for voice/video comms than IP (internet protocol) which was better for data , but IP won and that's where we are today.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

she-bears with cubs are a very different story. Upset momma bear and you’re dead. Full Stop.

A former boss here in Idaho was hunting deer, or maybe it was elk, when a black bear charged at him. Unfortunately he was obliged to shoot it dead and he was also obliged to change his underwear.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7