Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A former boss here in Idaho was hunting deer, or maybe it was elk, when a black bear charged at him. Unfortunately he was obliged to shoot it dead and he was also obliged to change his underwear.

We need an "I don't like" rating.....:cry:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

*she-bears with cubs are a very different story. Upset momma bear and you’re dead. Full Stop.

*polybears with cake are even worse.  Upset poly and you'll wish you were dead.  Don't worry, you soon will be.....

• Funny 11

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ely. A place best avoided. The only residents who don't cause to much grief and aggravation reside in the cemetery.

Hmm unless you are speaking from personal experience there Big H I would ask you to revise that last statement. 

Having had the misfortune to be the responsible officer -target/idiot take your pick (and there are plenty more to choose from) for cemeteries I can confirm that both the inhabitants and there 'hangers on' are perfectly capable of causing a considerable amount of trouble and that's the polite phrase.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ely. A place best avoided. 

We had a very enjoyable visit - especially the Cathedral.

Click Here for the 10 best places in Ely from Trip Advisor

I was a bit surprised to see Heddlu on the sign outside the station - the Fens are a long way from Offa's Dyke . . . . . . . . . . 

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

*polybears with cake are even worse.  Upset poly and you'll wish you were dead.  Don't worry, you soon will be.....

Polar Bears (the real ones) are the only carnivores who actively hunt humans as prey.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

We had a very enjoyable visit - especially the Cathedral.

Click Here for the 10 best places in Ely from Trip Advisor

I was a bit surprised to see Heddlu on the sign outside the station - the Fens are a long way from Offa's Dyke . . . . . . . . . . 

Your trip to Ely was enjoyable, because you visited Ely in Cambridgeshire.

The Ely to which we refer, is a western suburb of Cardiff.

Trip Advisor would be hard pressed to find one reason to visit Ely (Cardiff) let alone ten reasons - albeit, Trip Advisor could find dozens of reasons NOT to visit Ely (Cardiff).

Be thankful for the 200 or so mile gap twixt the two Elys.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Your trip to Ely was enjoyable, because you visited Ely in Cambridgeshire.

The Ely to which we refer, is a western suburb of Cardiff.

Trip Advisor would be hard pressed to find one reason to visit Ely (Cardiff) let alone ten reasons - albeit, Trip Advisor could find dozens of reasons NOT to visit Ely (Cardiff).

Be thankful for the 200 or so mile gap twixt the two Elys.

Best not tell them about Plymouth Woods or Bomb Alley.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As for LMS crimson, may I refer you to the DSM-IV?

*she-bears with cubs are a very different story. Upset momma bear and you’re dead. Full Stop.

What does crimson lake have to do with the award of a fourth Distinguished Service Medal?

We once saw a black bear with two cubs about fifty yards away in Sequioa national park. Moving very slowly and cautiously we made our way back to the car, which fortunately was only about ten yards away in the opposite direction, making sure not to appear at all interested in the cubs, which were playing tag up and down trees. Momma bear, though, kept an eye on us and I suspect that it wouldn't have taken much for her to get anti. Once inside the car we watched for about five minutes until momma bear wandered off with a call for the cubs to follow. They passed about ten feet in front of the car and I swear that one of the cubs looked at us with a smug expression as if to say, "That showed you huh?" Later we met some rangers who were very interested in what we had seen so we showed them a photograph we had taken when the bears passed by the car. They recognised the bear and said that they had wondered whether she was having cubs and now they knew. They also said that we had acted wisely and that although momma bear had been keeping a beady eye on us, providing we didn't get between her and the cubs or make any move towards the cubs we were probably OK. I noted the word 'probably'.......

Dave

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

HH

I could start a new career, as an 'after dinner speaker' with numerous anecdotes recalling how we tried to keep the locals in check.

First up........the practical way to deal with 'travellers' .......................

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, br2975 said:

HH

I could start a new career, as an 'after dinner speaker' with numerous anecdotes recalling how we tried to keep the locals in check.

First up........the practical way to deal with 'travellers' .......................

I once enjoyed an after-dinner speech by a copper who played RU at senior club level. There had been pics of him in the rugby press. On one occasion he and colleagues were turning over a house occupied by a nasty man in custody. Suddenly he heard shrieks of laughter from upstairs. On investigating, they had opened the bedroom door to find, stuck to the ceiling, a full-length portrait of him!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Or Brafferton Arbour in Bradford

1 hour ago, br2975 said:

HH

Yes we had on ex marine boxer who 'liked' dealing with travellers. They didn't like him.  He also discovered that you can move a large caravan, with it's jacks down, along a cobbled street by towing it with a mk 2 transit van using a bit of chain round the back step.  This experiment was done at 03.30.  The caravan dwellers did move on though.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

What does crimson lake have to do with the award of a fourth Distinguished Service Medal?

DSM-IV = Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; IV = Fourth Edition.

A guide to clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndromes or patterns that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress or disability or with a significant increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom...

LMS-itis is in there, somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

00 Gauge, 3rd Rail Linear Induction anyone?

Please see 

Expand  

Nice, but I don't think it's a linear induction motor. Induction motors induce an alternating current in a conductive rotor or linear plate. That looks more like a magnetic impulse thingy 

Is it powered by AC or DC?

According to the instructions '12v DC or 20v AC....if using a transformer  it should have a output of not less than 2A owing to the starting loads'.

Re Linear or Impulse: Yes it's called Impulse Drive on the box and in the instructions. To me the same thing, please explain the difference.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

DSM-IV = Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; IV = Fourth Edition.

A guide to clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndromes or patterns that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress or disability or with a significant increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom...

LMS-itis is in there, somewhere.

GWR-itis is like influenza, always there and impossible to eradicate.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1