Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

You will have a Hippo after you!

The only surprise is that we have reached 100 pages so quickly (which is pleasing).

As far as the red engine is concerned, I'm afraid the wheels seem to have come off the whole train since Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards left.

When you consider that Wales were semi finalists in the RWC last year, what has happened to them?

Without wanting to make too many railway analogies, they've completely run out of steam.

What may come as a shock to some is my Penderyn bottle is only half empty! 

And on that subject, a little bit of light relief that is going to benefit me and only me!

Whilst my daughter was here, she put in a click and collect Sainsbury order for when she returned to Reading:  To reserve this slot, she had to put in an order of at least £40, and was able to adjust the  the order up until 2200 the day before.

She asked how to quickly book a slot, so I suggested ordering a bottle of Penderyn, as that would very quickly take her up to the minimum order threshhold.

This she did, and yesterday was moaning over the phone to Nyda, that she'd completed the order but had forgotten to take the Penderyn off the list:mocking_mini:.

Since I am the only whisky drinker in the family, I call that an excellent result!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

She asked how to quickly book a slot, so I suggested ordering a bottle of Penderyn, as that would very quickly take her up to the minimum order threshhold.

Aditi used to reserve slots with bottles of whisky (Waitrose minimum order used to be £60 ) but swapped to bottles of champagne just in case she forgot to remove them when replacing with potatoes or sprouts. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Day 3 of French Lockdown has dawned overcast and very breezy but mild. November has often started worse. 

Every Spring, Alison and I visit a plant-centre and come back with a boot full of good things which she then makes up into 5 hanging baskets for the front of the terrasse. Every Autumn these get taken down, and Alison takes them back to chez elle to save seeds or anything else she can. So la terrasse lacks colour all Winter. On Friday, probably marginally legally, we nipped over to the plant-centre  (using backroads, as it's a long-ish drive really) and bought a lot of pansies. These will be embedded in the sort of sacks that get used for sandbags, and hung on the terrasse. 

Driving home from Alison's place on Friday, I almost ran over a heron, although he did the sort of VTO of which they seem to be capable, unlike many other species of bird. It reminded me that in 2008, while Deb was in hospital in Rouen, so I was often absent, some pesky heron fished our small round pond and that was that. I removed the liner some years ago, and when Alison started working for me I suggested a rockery in there instead. She sneered at that, but her beau has now provided two front-bucketfuls of nice topsoil, so we may just get the thing started in the coming months. Here he is just after dumping the first load back in April.

IMG_3461.jpeg.8696f26ffaaebd9e1a454d1b0985dbce.jpeg

I'm no gardener, but my father was an RHS member, and once won first prize for his blackcurrants at their annual show in Vincent Square. I think he'd be pleased to see me doing something!

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Day 3 of French Lockdown has dawned overcast and very breezy but mild. November has often started worse. 

Every Spring, Alison and I visit a plant-centre and come back with a boot full of good things which she then makes up into 5 hanging baskets for the front of the terrasse. Every Autumn these get taken down, and Alison takes them back to chez elle to save seeds or anything else she can. So la terrasse lacks colour all Winter. On Friday, probably marginally legally, we nipped over to the plant-centre  (using backroads, as it's a long-ish drive really) and bought a lot of pansies. These will be embedded in the sort of sacks that get used for sandbags, and hung on the terrasse. 

Driving home from Alison's place on Friday, I almost ran over a heron, although he did the sort of VTO of which they seem to be capable, unlike many other species of bird. It reminded me that in 2008, while Deb was in hospital in Rouen, so I was often absent, some pesky heron fished our small round pond and that was that. I removed the liner some years ago, and when Alison started working for me I suggested a rockery in there instead. She sneered at that, but her beau has now provided two front-bucketfuls of nice topsoil, so we may just get the thing started in the coming months. Here he is just after dumping the first load back in April.

IMG_3461.jpeg.8696f26ffaaebd9e1a454d1b0985dbce.jpeg

I'm no gardener, but my father was an RHS member, and once won first prize for his blackcurrants at their annual show in Vincent Square. I think he'd be pleased to see me doing something!

I am reliably informed that the RHS does accept membership applications from ex-pats just so long as it is supported by a domiciled sponsor. As I am such a person I would, for a reasonable fee of course, be prepared to continence such an application on the understanding of course of free board and lodging and use of the Hi-Ab for a few jollies once the borders have reopened.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I am reliably informed that the RHS does accept membership applications from ex-pats just so long as it is supported by a domiciled sponsor. As I am such a person I would, for a reasonable fee of course, be prepared to continence such an application on the understanding of course of free board and lodging and use of the Hi-Ab for a few jollies once the borders have reopened.

Your generosity truly knows no bounds!

EDIT Oh, and please leave my continence out of this!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think you just need lots of gravel. 

I thought RHS was a  private loco builder: Alas I've checked and it's RSH.

The weather is being uncharacteristically pleasant this morning, I suspect some work on the exterior components of the Hippodrome will be called for this afternoon if this remains the case.

Making things today has so far been confined to the manufacture of a multi-seeded loaf, which is likely to come out of the oven just prior to the duty herald making the call for luncheon.

Could it be accompanied by bacon and mushrooms?

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Your generosity truly knows no bounds!

EDIT Oh, and please leave my continence out of this!

That's incontinence not continence and I take it you are not prepared to follow in your fathers footsteps so obviously the green fingerness has skipped a generation much as occurred in my family.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

That's incontinence not continence and I take it you are not prepared to follow in your fathers footsteps so obviously the green fingerness has skipped a generation much as occurred in my family.

I think the last green finger Ian encountered was gloved!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Tis Sunday

A day of rest here at SM42 Towers. 

No work for this boy today, although I did slip out earlier to pick up some hardware supplies for next week.  New shed needs guttering.

Now the rest of the day can be taken up with modelling, watching TV, eating lunch, drinking beer and other such relaxing activities ( althiough not all at once)

I can thoroughly recommend doing nothing much on a Sunday

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

After the builder called to give us a quote for the bathroom refurbishment, which wasn't at all bad, the G word was utterred in forceful tones. As I am a coward I went out and a lot of pruning got done.  I then got to play with the little tractor plus trailer, taking all the debris to the fire pile. 

I like Ian's new access to farm machinery.  Those front loaders are very handy bits of kit.  I now need to find out whether purchasing supplies for a bathroom refurbishment is classed as essential journey.  Pror to that I will have to find out if the tip is closed again as the trailer will have to be emptied before I can go and get the bathroom stuff.

After all this exercise some eyelid inspection is called for and possibly some shed time.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning, 

I was only at home for about 4 hours yesterday. Breakfast was had socially distanced downtown, then the banking at the track was stormed by the kart, most enjoyable. Quick lunch was then had before a long drive to pick up a wrick of firewood. This all had to be hand loaded and unloaded, from said truck, then carried in the trusty “Radio Flyer” (not sure if they have those in Europe) 150 feet to some stairs. The wood was then unloaded and carried up said stairs, before finally reaching the wood rack. 

Our current wood rack is to small, so a trip with the trusty Ford to the Home Depot is in order or today. I may be able to get some boards for the Mosston over Moss as well. 

0CB01644-7AFE-4A4F-9BED-23BA8B8BFB8A.jpeg
I also managed to get a few shots on the way to the track of this empty BNSF freight train, heading north towards the hump and the BNSF Cherokee Yard, an ex Frisco concern. 

F834D7F5-5C9C-493C-B8F1-2E651DD93E61.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Multitudes of grammatical errors.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well that's a strenuous two hours of drinking coffee and eating cake done.

Nothing to do but wait for tea time now

I suppose we all have a cross to bear.

Andy

Talking of eating cake and all you'll have is a very cross bear.

I did the front garden with the leaf vacuum but then the weather started to turn quite nasty, so I put everything away and made a fighting withdrawal to the warmth of the house.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Well that's a strenuous two hours of drinking coffee and eating cake done.

Nothing to do but wait for tea time now

I suppose we all have a cross to bear.

Andy

:mad:

Just so long as you don't cross a Bear.....

Edited by polybear
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

With bears and hippos on the prowl, this forum is getting dangerous, especially if you mention cake. Oh, I just did.....

Dave

You quite safe as long as you continue to supply the northern CAP for Fortress Hippodrome.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1