Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

16 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Managed a pic of this gable wall at the local NT garden today, usually the courtyard is full of cafe patrons.

20201101_150517~2.jpg

Hmm somewhat worried by this statement. I think it might be worthwhile seeking professional advice and I do not mean in the form of a master builder.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think the last green finger Ian encountered was gloved!

Yes, and I'm due another one in January, although whether that happens is not clear. Much routine medicine is just not being practised, I fear. I will seek an appointment in a few weeks. Since cancer was never suspected, I am a low-risk patient, anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

With bears and hippos on the prowl, this forum is getting dangerous, especially if you mention cake. Oh, I just did.....

Dave

Fortunately I'm quite a way from the North Pole.

Hipposhire is a little too close for comfort.

I'll have to hide behind Mrs SM42. :triniti:

Andy

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

I am usually a benevolent soul, so you can sleep easy in your bed.  I performed evil only on people who truly deserved it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning,

I also managed to get a few shots on the way to the track of this empty BNSF freight train, heading north towards the hump and the BNSF Cherokee Yard, an ex Frisco concern.

F834D7F5-5C9C-493C-B8F1-2E651DD93E61.jpeg

Douglas

Too bad you did not get a better shot of the trailing unit, it looks like a 40-2, one of my favorite second-generation motors. Now if that had been an SP tunnel motor S(D40T-2), all bets would be off. For first-generation motors, it is a toss-up between a GP30 and an SD45. I should break that down to 4-axle (GP30) and 6-axle (SD45).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

This particular Bear travels south for the winter, in search of cake......

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Too bad you did not get a better shot of the trailing unit, it looks like a 40-2, one of my favorite second-generation motors.

According to a couple of websites, that loco (2523) is a 4-axle GP39-3 - a rebuilt GP35.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, pH said:

According to a couple of websites, that loco (2523) is a 4-axle GP39-3 - a rebuilt GP35.

The long hood has more than a whiff of GP30, rather than GP35, about it. I assume a GP39-3 uses a 12-645 turbocharged prime mover outputting 2300 hp?

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The long hood has more than a whiff of GP30, rather than GP35, about it. I assume a GP39-3 uses a 12-645 turbocharged prime mover outputting 2300 hp?

I believe you are correct!

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4764560

I was going by the shape of the cab roof, which isn't that of a GP30.

BNSF started that GP39-3 rebuild program using GP35s - I've read a discussion where someone asked why they were using GP35s while retiring GP30s, which weren't much older. It appears that they did use GP30s later. #2523 is rebuilt from GP30u #2419, which had already been rebuilt once before, and by then had been retired by BNSF. It was bought back from LTEX for rebuilding. (LTEX - Larry's Truck and Electric - I love that name for a locomotive owner!) 

According to this, the rebuilds have16-645s rated at 2300 hp:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4484644

New GP39-2s have 12-645s.

Edited by pH
Finger problems
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

This particular Bear travels south for the winter, in search of cake......

That's lucky.

North Pole is south of here :D:D

And we've run out of cake :O

Andy

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmm somewhat worried by this statement. I think it might be worthwhile seeking professional advice and I do not mean in the form of a master builder.

I am intrigued by your reply.

As a modeller who prefers making buildings to rolling stock, I am always looking for scenes which can be replicated in miniature. 

In this case, ignoring the bright green of the more exotic plants, the red colour of the ivy signifies an autumn scene, so placing the season of the year when added to a layout.

Thus I'm not sure what sort of professional advice I might need, please enlighten me.

• Agree 1

I am liable to rant!  By order of the person in charge, by whom I mean the one who poodles off to Bishop Auckland to check his eyesight, public religious worship has been stopped for the duration of the lockdown.  Basically a cheap score, as places of worship will obey the order.  The fact that we are scrupulous about cleanliness and distancing is an irrelevance.  Of cource, it does mean I don't have to spray and wipe down the pews, then sanitise the toilet, every Sunday morning.  End of rant.

Basically, other than church, my lifestyle will be barely affected.  My work is regarded as essential, so I'll be catching the train to Waterloo.  If the weather isn't too bad, Hazel and I can meet up in public spaces, although we will have to rebook the Artemesia exhibition.  Other than a fortnighly shop, life will be mostly on line.

Waterloo tomorrow.  Bill.

• Friendly/supportive 11

26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I am intrigued by your reply.

As a modeller who prefers making buildings to rolling stock, I am always looking for scenes which can be replicated in miniature. 

In this case, ignoring the bright green of the more exotic plants, the red colour of the ivy signifies an autumn scene, so placing the season of the year when added to a layout.

Thus I'm not sure what sort of professional advice I might need, please enlighten me.

I'm always intrigued how the passion for m...............g intrudes into one's life and vice a versa. As someone who was trained to  look at the impact of plants or in this case Parthenocissus tricuspidata on the built environment I suppose that would perhaps class me as the professional advice. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm always intrigued how the passion for m...............g intrudes into one's life and vice a versa. As someone who was trained to  look at the impact of plants or in this case Parthenocissus tricuspidata on the built environment I suppose that would perhaps class me as the professional advice. 

Ah, I understand now :) .

At the garden, there are several buildings, both stone & brick, with a covering of ivy over the eaves and roof edges, as well as on the walls as well.

1327138948_20201101_1400222.jpg.35588eb3afbd45992afa6a71a75a29b4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pH said:

I stand sit corrected; the window glass distortion did not help. Looking closer, I do now see that the trucks are 2-axle Blomberg and not 3-axle Flexicoil.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, the third (in less than that many hours) northbound NS freight just went by; the first two had distributed power. My back door is about 350 feet from the NS "R" line so I hear them quite well. The first decided to test his air-horn in my kitchen! Now, if only it had been the horn on a GG1. :yahoo_mini:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, the third (in less than that many hours) northbound NS freight just went by; the first two had distributed power. My back door is about 350 feet from the NS "R" line so I hear them quite well. The first decided to test his air-horn in my kitchen! Now, if only it had been the horn on a GG1. :yahoo_mini:

Sir, your taste in locos is great, how I would love an 0 Scale G motor.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, pH said:

Traffic on BNSF must be increasing - these units are being returned to traffic:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/752761/

Whose going to model that one, 3 powered and 24 dummies.  Hang on a minute that sounds like the description of the Remove or the Cabinet.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

Another rant.  In the present circumstances who in their right minds will take kids out on for trick-or-treat.  On Saturday evening one group banged on my door or rang the bell for about ten minutes.  The bell needs an adult. I knew they were there, they knew I was their (watching the rugby) but no way was I opening the door.   Bill

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Another rant.  In the present circumstances who in their right minds will take kids out on for trick-or-treat.  On Saturday evening one group banged on my door or rang the bell for about ten minutes.  The bell needs an adult. I knew they were there, they knew I was their (watching the rugby) but no way was I opening the door.   Bill

In Leeds the City Council suggested pumpkin walks instead of trick or treat and it certainly worked in my daughters street.

Jamie

• Like 2