Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Today has been declared by the management as leaf day. There are only about twenty tons or so of them lying about in drifts so apart from sweeping and raking them up there may well be a bonfire to be made. Deep joy.

After a "successful" round one of leaf day yesterday I am informed round two starts today.....

Apparently we need lots more leaf mulch as I am reliably informed it will be beneficial for the next growing season.

Where it comes to gardens I am absolutely useless and just do what I am told.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Machine gun posts this time, or is that a bit OTT.

Chris, We've always had those.  along with off route mines along the driveway and , my beloved Claymores dotted around on the wooded bund behind the premises

The best installation was having Rapier fitted, which stopped my late mother in law arriving by broomstick.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Another task I have been allocated is the creation of a mud kitchen

Many years ago one of MiL’s friends in Nottingham acquired a Tandoor like the ones used in Indian Restaurants. This became the “must have” thing for her social group. Aditi’s Dad decided he would make a traditional clay based one. I suspect it was a cunning ploy to delay the whole idea. I mentioned his soil wasn't in the least bit clay like. He said he knew. MiL’s friends soon moved onto some new idea.

My nieces have lots of garden toys but they also “help”.

AE1811F5-CA10-4AF4-ABAC-0B3902CE4F4F.jpeg.3334182b5221ce507b2fa7d8112bc68d.jpegDA1781C0-9F9E-4D0C-B1D3-CCCE57652C1C.jpeg.7f0e98a5859688991a5b77f2ebb3f236.jpeg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

We have been proactive about leaves.  The big sycamore outside the living room, and much too near to the house was felled 3 years ago and is now providing heat for the aforesaid living room.  At the rear there were 3 Ash trees far too close to both the kitchen and each other.  Two came down 2 years ago and their wood will be burned next year.  Those three were responsible for much of the leaf fall.  

Dave, you obviously need to gargle and mouthwash with Scottish antiseptic. I believe thatvitvalso has analgesic properties. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't bother collecting the leaves in our garden, even though we must have 30 + trees, most of our leaves head for Norway in the wind..

I will once the majority have left town have to get up on the roof of the railway shed and the Mobile home to go clear the gutters...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The last four hours or so have been taken up using the power washer to clean the conservatory roof and the downstairs windows of the house.

Despite the copious amounts of water used, I'm covered in slimy grit and the like and need to stand under more running water to remove it from places I couldn't have imagined it would get to.

I have decided to take the rest of the day off apart from some well earned cogitation about 7mm matters.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The latter pair will probably involve the disposal of stuff that had been stored just in case will be disposed of.

You do realise that you'll need that stuff a week after you've chucked it, don't you?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

TNM leaf challenge:

The Hippodrome leaf cage is starting to fill up.1509966903_Leafcage.jpg.0df83e16fcd21c9a7662e05d327f5733.jpg

The cage is about 7 feet deep and 4foot  6 inches high.

Isn't that out of gauge ?  Ought to be 7' 0.5" by 4' 8.5" 

Adrian

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

It's been suggested that our Christmas decorations go up on the first weekend in December in order to brighten both the place and the mood up.

What mood?

I'm fine, and putting the decorations up on Christmas Eve and taking them down on 27th Dec suits me down to the ground.

in fact, for such a short period of time why bother at all.

I just love being a grumpy old git. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's been suggested that our Christmas decorations go up on the first weekend in December in order to brighten both the place and the mood up.

What mood?

I'm fine, and putting the decorations up on Christmas Eve and taking them down on 27th Dec suits me down to the ground.

in fact, for such a short period of time why bother at all.

I just love being a grumpy old git. 

Bear has a bit of string between two drawing pins to hang cards on.  But there's a fair chance that won't happen this year cos' the kitchen refurb will still be happening and much of the sh1t is dumped all over the shop as a result - the lounge looks like a storage warehouse as a result, with dust sheets over most of the furniture.

is Bear disappointed?  Nope :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bear has a bit of string between two drawing pins to hang cards on.  But there's a fair chance that won't happen this year cos' the kitchen refurb will still be happening and much of the sh1t is dumped all over the shop as a result - the lounge looks like a storage warehouse as a result, with dust sheets over most of the furniture.

is Bear disappointed?  Nope :)

I presume the cake safe is still ready use.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I presume the cake safe is still ready use.

You're just trying to get me to drop my guard and give a clue to where such a safe *may* or *may not* be.  Nice try, but no cigar.....

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

You're just trying to get me to drop my guard and give a clue to where such a safe *may* or *may not* be.  Nice try, but no cigar.....

Sounds like you've developed the Messerschmitt twitch. 

Have this one on me......

image.png.ea87755f33271a37d535e7ff3913138f.png

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, figworthy said:

Isn't that out of gauge ?  Ought to be 7' 0.5" by 4' 8.5" 

Adrian

4' 6" is still broad gauge in 00 scale (16.5mm @ 1:76 = 4' 1.4")

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

I use any seasonal greetings cards I receive as decorations.  No holly, paper chains or tree for me.

Chris

All cards, seasonal or birthday, are just put in a pile out of the way! The C........ day and my birthday are nothing special so treated as ordinary days chez moi!

• Like 2

Right well, the parts arrived. And they were slightly to big. Long story short after a massive argument with my dad I was told to never touch the engine again, and that it was to be condemned to its box. Nothing was done on it since the parts arrived. Very saddening. I have however been allowed to use “The George (if anybody remembers that) when it returns form the works in December.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Profile photo was changed, may change it back to my old one, which was the engine erecting shop at John Brown & Co Clydebank.

With a hat like that you've got Northern on us!

Sorry about the loco saga:  I did suggest a between frames solution:sorry_mini:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1