Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Today there is a requirement for Welsh Cakes to be made in advance of the Wales v Ireland Rugby Match in Dublin this evening.

How many will survive before the kick off is open to question, as a number of samples will be required for quality assurance purposes.

The Penderyn bottle has been dusted down and told that it will be emptied this evening.

Cans of cider will be to hand on the replacements bench in case the Penderyn doesn't last the full 80 minutes.

More worrying is the admiring glances I'm making at a rather pretty 4F kit from the David Andrews stable in the latest G0G Gazette.

Jamie and Dave will no doubt see this as a sign that the treatment I've been receiving for my pannier tank addiction is finally having an effect.

Edited by Happy Hippo
Edited as some words went missing!
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Chronic Pannieritis is best treated with exposure to red engines but a nice 4F is a good start and I can recommend a very good book on the Class written by ......

For instruction on making inside valve gear for 4Fs painlessly there is an excellent thread by lePlod of western France elsewhere in this site. Look for gritted teeth as an aid to modelling Lancaster Green Ayre.

I too have the Penderyn palliative medicine standing by for tonight but am sadly lacking in Welsh cakes as a logistics c*ckup means that supplies will not arrive until tomorrow. Should there be an excess of said delicacy at the Muddy Hollow, an emergency shipment a few miles north would come in handy - oh, I've just seen something porcine pass the window at altitude.

Have a good POETS everyone.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Pore speling agane
  • Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

For instruction on making inside valve gear for 4Fs painlessly 

The last set of valve gear I made for inside steam chests was for some slip eccentric valve gear, and I got them laser cut. (In steel.)

I think I'd do the same with inside Stephenson gear, although I'd cheat with the knuckles and silver solder solid blocks to the rod ends and then drill, slot and gently clean up with a file.  I'd temper the rods by plunging into something cool as soon as they came out from under the torch after being soldered.  Nothing worse than getting the rod bent because you forgot it's annealed after the initial heat treatment.

Whether this is the correct method is open to debate, but it works for me.

As far as pannieritus is concerned, I once gave away a rolling chassis for a 5 inch gauge 'Pansy'. (LBSC design 57xx pannier).

In the garage roof is a 5" gauge chassis and boiler for a 'Rob Roy' which I was given.  I really ought to get rid of them, as the sale, especially the boiler, would create quite a healthy set of modelling tokens.

The replacement part for the pressure washer has arrived, so my next task is to dismantle it and carry out the same reinforcing operation I did with the broken one.  although I suspect the first one was defective, better safe than sorry.  And of course, it's much easier to do when you don't have to rebuild the broken parts first!

The fair weather is continuing over the muddy hollow so I must get back outside and continue processing timber.

Yesterday's destruction of two old doors provided  both firewood and some nice long baulks of well seasoned and straight lengths of timber.

I also made up some bull nosed skirting boards from a couple of lengths of old architrave I found in the garage roof.

I think our neighbours think I'm related to Steptoe!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My Garden line randomly falls in and out of the physical dimension.:jester:

Douglas

You haven’t been reading the Flat Earth thread on Wheeltappers I hope!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

We went for a walk this afternoon and on our return, the bakestone was deployed and Cinnamon and Cranberry Welsh cakes were made.

Extensive testing followed by a late afternoon tea has seen their ranks depleted to less than 50% of what I made! (20)

Having washed up and cleared away the debris, I am immediately contemplating what to have for my evening meal prior to 'the match'.

This will be followed by what I should have for half time snacks!

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The earth has only been flat since Poly Bear climbed on my shoulders and we jumped up and down.

Everythings flat now!

I didn’t hear the thump when Aditi fell over in her study this afternoon. I did hear the plaintive request to attend though. She wasn’t hurt but had had winded herself. First aid in the form of a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit seemed to suffice. The previous two falls ended with arms in plaster but not this time. After she was fine I did point out she had probably tripped over the most expensive lead in the house, a Mac Air charger lead. She said she isn’t the sort of person to trip over something cheap!

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

I did more quality control that Wales did this evening.

All joking aside, I wonder whether the choice of Wayne Pivac as a coach to replace Warren Gatland was a good idea.

If the WRFU take the same attitude as football clubs do with their managers, he could be packing his bags quite soon.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

I did more quality control that Wales did this evening.

All joking aside, I wonder whether the choice of Wayne Pivac as a coach to replace Warren Gatland was a good idea.

If the WRFU take the same attitude as football clubs do with their managers, he could be packing his bags quite soon.

They were fairly dreadful. I would imagine that the Penderyn will have taken a hit in some RMWeb households. Pivac does not seem to know what to do to change things.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Joseph_Pestell said:

They were fairly dreadful. I would imagine that the Penderyn will have taken a hit in some RMWeb households. Pivac does not seem to know what to do to change things.

Abysmal would be a better description.

Funnily enough the Penderyn wasn't touched!

We tried some Gingerbread  mulled wine instead.....

Don't bother it was crappalicious.

I'm just about to sneak a drop of Penderyn in a form of  libatious compensation.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! It's a shame that Wales fielded their schoolboy team; at least I assume from the number of schoolboy errors that it was  a team of schoolboys. I wonder if they were told that conceding a penalty when your opponents are inside your 22 about equidistant from each sideline is a bad idea? Didn't appear as if they were.

The best thing to have come out of Wales tonight (apart from the 1750 ex-Cardiff) is the Penderyn I am now drinking in memory of Welsh rugby. And not a Welsh cake in sight!

In memoriam. Bring back the days of Charlie Faulkner and the Pontypool front row.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Missed out a bit
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this works for hippos, but the Japanese have come up with a means of scaring off bears.  Might be useful for keeping cake supplies safe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japan-robot-wolves-bears-takikawa-b1721857.html

(other news outlets available)

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no cake here, but the manor's HR department would welcome expressions of interest from any cake makers looking for a new role.

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, figworthy said:

Not sure if this works for hippos, but the Japanese have come up with a means of scaring off bears.  Might be useful for keeping cake supplies safe.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japan-robot-wolves-bears-takikawa-b1721857.html

(other news outlets available)

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no cake here, but the manor's HR department would welcome expressions of interest from any cake makers looking for a new role.

Adrian

I make bread rolls if that's any help.

I'm considering making some Bara Brith for tomorrow.

The good thing about practicing  baking is that once you've finished you have to get rid of the evidence.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched the video on YouTube about the launch of the new 4 mm scale L&NWR  2-4-0 Precedent.

Now I'm very fortunate in not modelling the L&NWR in 4mm scale because I'd just have to get one.

However, I mention it here purely to highlight a continuing trend in the comments (on YouTube, I've not looked at the relevant section of RMWEb) about the rrp of £220.

There are a lot of people complaining it's too high, and that they won't buy it.

I wish these moaners would pull their heads out of their Woolworths orientated posteriors and smell some fresh air!

I'm not going to visit the cost of European models because if one thinks that £220 is expensive, don't look at some of the German stuff that is on offer.

I think that this is the sort of pricing that new models are going to start coming out at, which is a far cry from the 30 shillings I paid for a Triang Brush type 2

A-1-A back in the 1960s!

Especially if there is a move to bring manufacturing back to the UK from China.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If Douglas is so protective about the audio, what's he going to be like about his trains?

I would be perfectly fine with someone touching my audio set, the shop owner has different ideas...

He had some very unorthodox opinions on Native Americans, a most unpleasant man.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6