Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Pfizer gave me an itchy arm.  Just read though 53 pages of on line training with an assessment tomorrow.  Previously I completed modules in Cardiac Arrest, Heart Attack, Choking and Major Bleeding.  100% in three of them but only 80% in the fourth.  Guess which one?  The one you wouldn't expect given I've bounced up and down on real chests often enough and when the London Ambulance Service checked my competence I achieved 100% on a rigged annie.  Yup, I got less than 80% on CA, only because compressions are done by a mouse click.  

And the module expected me to do rescue breaths.  Present instructions are chest only unless in full PPE3.

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Pfizer gave me an itchy arm.  Just read though 53 pages of on line training with an assessment tomorrow.  Previously I completed modules in Cardiac Arrest, Heart Attack, Choking and Major Bleeding.  100% in three of them but only 80% in the fourth.  Guess which one?  The one you wouldn't expect given I've bounced up and down on real chests often enough and when the London Ambulance Service checked my competence I achieved 100% on a rigged annie.  Yup, I got less than 80% on CA, only because compressions are done by a mouse click.  

And the module expected me to do rescue breaths.  Present instructions are chest only unless in full PPE3.

Bill

In days of yore part of a first aid kit was a resuscitator.

This was a mask that fitted over the mouth and nose that was attached to  a handle which was connected to the facemask via a bellow and a one way valve.

It was a bit like using a bicycle pump, and allowed you to breath for the casualty without having to contact their face.  It could also be fitted with an NBC filter!

They got discontinued because resus training was not as thorough, and quite a few people were killed by being blown up: Literally! The rescuer pumping frantically and not to a timed rhythm resulted in the lungs being continually inflated with no exhale function inbetween.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Exactly. Real railways, wherever they can, invest in multiple copies of locos, thus making spares- holdings and maintenance procedures simpler. Far too many of us have a half-Noah principle, of wanting and justifying one of every loco our chosen company used. 

Sherry has forwarded a most odd and unsavoury story of a boy who filmed himself abusing Prof Chris Whitty in the street - and then posted it on YouTube. Prof Whitty, in shirtsleeves, is waiting to buy a lunchtime sandwich - so a most humble thing to be doing - and m'laddo, who does not seem to have a London accent, calls him a liar about Covid. I understand his mother is mortified and has taken away his playstation. Cutting his nuts off, without benefit of anaesthetic, of course, would seem a minimum to me. Pass me the rusty scissors....

And then treat the "wound" with iodine, lots of it!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Again, I've been told that this system was used as it allowed the frames to flex a little more when running over track whose foundations were not quite as well laid as they should be.

Especially 4-4-0s, the last ones were (here) were built in the late 1920s.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My covid jab is due Tuesday afternoon. Not looking forward to it but its got to be done.

Mines due around May I think

In the meantime I am taking advantage  of not working till saturday and enjoying an alcoholic  beverage or three. 

I've spent most of the evening applying  decals to 4mm vans and  really need  something to uncross my eyes. 

Gauge 1 is looking attractive 

Andy

Edited by SM42
What day is it again?
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

So I have to remember two protocols.  The LAS one is simple, get on the chest, stay on the chest.  A second person can get all gucci with an OP and OXG, but the human body stores at least five minutes of oxygen.   Bill

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A brighter start today (except for the weather, which is grey and murky) as all after effects of the jab have receded. My SiL tells me that playing music to plants helps them grow and flower so to encourage the little thingies that the vaccine has introduced into my system I'm playing them an Eagles album. Off to the study to do some work for a magazine now. Fish and chips tonight - the local chippie takes orders over the phone for a specific collection time then someone meets you in the car park to effect the handover. A bit like a spy novel really. Isn't life exciting at times? And to think some folk consider lockdowns to be dull....

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Predictive text again - I'll throw this bl**dy thing in the bin one of these days
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm playing them an Eagles album

The Astra Zeneca vaccine used a genetically modified virus that affected chimpanzees so perhaps something by The Monkees would be appropriate?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Friend of mine was jabed on Saturday and rejoined the human race on Tuesday, it realy knocked him about

This might sound harsh, but if the innoculation did that to him, he's needs to consider what might have been as the virus would would have given him an even worse trampling.

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Douglas, it's an iPad but it actually belongs to Jill so I'm not allowed to "mess with it". I'll still throw it in the bin one of these days though.

This afternoon I'm doing what I hope is the final bout of work for a magazine so with luck I may get some workshop time in over the weekend. We shall see....

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

In cross eye mode again.

More van lettering. Got a few to do, see previous photo.

Only problem is that as most numbers are made up of bits, I'm waiting for the first part to harden off before tackling the next part.

It's slow going do a bit of each side at a time and I fear I may lose track of where I had got to on any particular wagon.

After that it's a vast weathering campaign

Andy

Edited by SM42
typing with the screen out of range of my glasses
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think the editor has deleted Dave’s comment about not being allowed to change Jill’s iPad.

Similar here but the other way round. Aditi has all predictive text or autocomplete options off for all her devices. If I borrow any I have to leave them alone. This is fair enough as I used to really not appreciate people fiddling with settings on my work computers. This ceased when we were network based as the settings belonged with the logged on user rather than the device. 
When Aditi first started her doctoral dissertation I would often hear her telling off her computer “I know it is a long sentence...” or “no, I can assure you hermeneutics is a word”. So she turned all support off. Her dissertation had no spelling or grammatical errors but the external examiners did find a surplus full stop in a reference. She was shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When Aditi first started her doctoral dissertation I would often hear her telling off her computer “I know it is a long sentence...” or “no, I can assure you hermeneutics is a word”. So she turned all support off. Her dissertation had no spelling or grammatical errors but the external examiners did find a surplus full stop in a reference. She was shocked. 

If that's what they were reduced to commenting upon, then they must have been really desperate!

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2