Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When my son lived in Calgary it was considered to be a mild winter that year but there was one day when it was -40. He lived in the international student accommodation and some of the other students were keen to see what it was like. Earlier in the year some of the students had been really excited seeing snow. Being Canada the accommodation was suitable all year and there were underground routes to the university buildings. Anyway so of course some went outside from room temp to -40 to see what it felt like while wearing t-shirts. They didn’t stay out long and some were quickly convinced not to try it again. 

Some years ago my father bought a tin shed.

It was made in Canada and in the construction notes was a warning to not let more than 10ft of snow to rest on the roof.

We were unconcerned about such an occurrence. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

List sent by gmail. 

3-plank wagons were built 1879-1887 which sounds rather early for the Parkside by Peco range - do you mean Coopercraft by Slaters?

If so, it's an iron framed one so probably best to choose a number from one of the later lots. Also beware that the kit is 6" too long - it uses their standard 16'0" underframe whereas these wagons were 15'6" (so I am told).

1627887639_GW3-plankopenNo.39718.JPG.60cec0e6a2b8dacfa006825eb75305bb.JPG

Geen kit, 4 mm scale.

I need to ask now, by mid 1923, would it bevin dark grey or bauxite. It is the Coopercraft kit.

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

-7F is about -22 Celsius. Interestingly -40 is the same in Fahrenheit and. Celsius. 

Getting that answer correct helped us win a quiz once.

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A slight nip in the air

A vicar in Cheshire got censured for using that phrase and following it up by say "that's what we used to say when we hung a Japanese" he had served in the Far East.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I need to ask now, by mid 1923, would it bevin dark grey or bauxite. It is the Coopercraft kit.

That's not bauxite, which is a brown colour. It's red lead.

But anyway for 1923 you want grey as the Hippo says. I think the lettering style is G W on the top two planks (so not the full 25") with on the bottom plank number on the left and "To Carry ? Tons" on the right. They still had the number on the end too. Photo by gmail.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's not bauxite, which is a brown colour. It's red lead.

But anyway for 1923 you want grey as the Hippo says. I think the lettering style is G W on the top two planks (so not the full 25") with on the bottom plank number on the left and "To Carry ? Tons" on the right. They still had the number on the end too. Photo by gmail.

Thanks for all that Stephen.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A vicar in Cheshire got censured for using that phrase and following it up by say "that's what we used to say when we hung a Japanese" he had served in the Far East.

Jamie

When I was working in Tokyo one of my Japanese colleagues was sent to London for on a training course and I got my parents to invite him down to visit them for the weekend.

After spending the weekend with them when they left the house to take him back to the station to catch the train back to London it was a bit chilly and without thinking my mother said "oh, there's bit of a nip in the air".......

Keith

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The doughnut results are in

1000 were ordered by the shop.

At lunch time they sent out for 260 more

There are 29 left (it was 40 till Mrs SM42 made a last minute dash (The force is strong in these doughnuts))

Not bad for a medium sized market town.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The doughnut results are in

1000 were ordered by the shop.

At lunch time they sent out for 260 more

There are 29 left (it was 40 till Mrs SM42 made a last minute dash (The force is strong in these doughnuts))

Not bad for a medium sized market town.

Andy

40-29=11

Is 11 a Polish dozen?

• Funny 8

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

40-29=11

Is 11 a Polish dozen?

No. It's 4 each and three  delivered to the brother's front door  on the way home.

Spreading the love.

I don't think the Poles have dozens.  Eggs are metric, sold in 10s

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As I have said before on ER my Grandad hated the Japanese he had seen what they had done to Servicemen and the fact he had the biggest needle he had ever seen poked in his bum cheek due to the disease such as cholera and typhoid they had left behind in Hong Kong Kowloon and Wang chai, as well as Singapore

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The French sell eggs in half dozens, dozens and 18's. The word is dizaine but is used ascan indeterminate number round about 10.

Jamie

Eggs are sold that way here, too; plus a 36 count "Egg Pullman".

• Like 7

10 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

As I have said before on ER my Grandad hated the Japanese he had seen what they had done to Servicemen and the fact he had the biggest needle he had ever seen poked in his bum cheek due to the disease such as cholera and typhoid they had left behind in Hong Kong Kowloon and Wang chai, as well as Singapore

I had an uncle who had spent time as a “Redcap” (military police) in Hong Kong in the later 1930s, a period described in the first part of J G Ballard’s “Empire of the Sun” . He missed the invasion and occupation, being on “long leave” in India at the time, and subsequently returned during that interregnum when the delicate process of demobilising Japanese field forces, whilst maintaining some sort of order was in hand, as rising Chinese backed Communist insurgency came into conflict with the attempted return of US backed, French Imperialism. 

I always found his complex, nuanced views on the subject of the Japanese, most interesting. There was no doubt that he regarded them as extremely dangerous and quite alien to Western minds, but he respected them greatly for their personal fortitude and sense of social cohesion, and felt that they were capable of almost anything once they set their minds to it. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Surely “douzaine”, “douze” being “twelve”?

But when you look up thevword it is shown as a non specific number. However as far as eggs are concerned  it means 12 when we ask for some from our farmer friend.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would test Aditi by asking her if she knew what “dizaine” meant. She asked me to spell it as my attempted pronunciation must have been awful. She said it meant “about 10”. We have been sold drinks in pints in bars and fruit in pounds in markets in France. Slightly different spelling of pint and pound though. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

But when you look up thevword it is shown as a non specific number. However as far as eggs are concerned  it means 12 when we ask for some from our farmer friend.

Jamie

Zeez Engleesh, Zey ask for the eighteen, but it zounds like zer twelve, So I Pierre ,the brave fighter pilot and raconteur farmer, I give them twelve, and charge zem for the eighteen.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

They are French............

Logic has no meaning!

Logic has everything to do with it. They are very proud of that aspect of their culture. As in donnez moi vos coordonnées. So douzaine undoubtedly smacks of Bourbon sympathies. A proper Republican will use the thoroughly metricated dizaine.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4