Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Water injection is widely used in competition engines for localised internal cooling and anti-detonation, often mixed with trace quantities of glycol or whatever the modern equivalent is. Benzole (a coal tar derivative including toluene), was once sold commercially as motor fuel, often mixed with low-quality petrol - Pre-War petrol could be as low as 50 Octane, and 70 Octane was common. This was the once-Common “50/50” National Benzole, sold in forecourts at one time. 

The methanol used in some competition engines, and also in some industrial engine units is hygroscopic - I’ve seen it precipitate ice crystals in cold weather - but this doesn’t seem to do any real harm, other than make it a bit hard to start.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil. I think his point was the Tesla was in its first winter.  The current available from their 120v supply limits charging, he went to an out-of-town 240v high current EV specific charge point to get a better charge (still 5 hours!) but the batteries would not accept more than 60%.   His love affair with his Tesla ended at that point, he was complimentary up to that weather event but considered it unsuitable for winter use in his environment.  

Ethanol in fuel kills old vehicles, carburettor parts and fuel lines in particular.  As it is added at the point of distribution when pumped in to the road tankers, we don't get any in our fuel here, thankfully for my old bikes, it isn't economical for them to do so.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Ethanol content is supposed to increase from 5% to 10% in the UK  for standard petrol this year. The E10 grade has been available for years in the rest of Europe. If the year old petrol in my car affected performance I haven’t been anywhere to be able to notice. It had the old fuel in when it had its MoT test and service and all was well fortunately. It should be ok for a few more months with the new fuel. Both our car engines are rated/designed for use with higher proportions of bio fuel. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It could self charge as it's going along!

A sort of diesel electric.

Wonder why no-one has ever thought of that before.

I must contact the Patent Office

Got to dash

Andy

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Electric cars are OK for urban areas in developed countries but they still need a lot of development before they can be used away from any support structure or in conditions that affect reliability such as extreme cold.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It does make you wonder at how this weather is affecting those who run a BEV.  I suspect that the range is somewhat reduced over those advertised.

Must admit that my hybrid has not been out of the garage since before Christmas. Fully charged its supposed to do about 37 miles on electric so it will be interesting to see what it registers when I next start it up.

Up until then in view of lockdown and only venturing out for essential journeys the car was only used to do the weekly shop at the out of town Sainsburys. Since then I've worked out that I can split the weekly shop into two (or sometimes three) trips by foot taking just under 25 minutes walking each way. So armed with a backpack off I trot getting some necessary exercise as well.

This day last year it was the Tonbridge MRC show. Last show I attended before lockdown and last time I was on a train to get me there and back.

Keith

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The two volumes of Midland Wagons were almost the first "proper" railway books I bought as a teenager, very soon after they were published in 1980, and are the most-thumbed in my library after Midland Style, of which I have two copies both in a state of collapse.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Whilst many in this country are running around panicking about Covid 19, other diseases such as Cancer and Alzheimer's continue to wreak their hell on a significant number of the population.

From personal experience, Bob Essery is now in the best possible place, where he will be able to receive around the clock professional care.

My sister runs such an establishment, (Still a 100% Covid Free location for both residents and staff,) and then has to go home to deal with her partner who is in the early stages of dementia.  As you can imagine. she's rather frazzled, but is unable to get much in the way of family support because the lockdown rules prevent anyone travelling to visit.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

The weather appears a little warmer today.

The bitter dry cold has been replaced with a damper cold.  Not at all suitable for a wallow in the hollow.

I required a hot bath this morning to get my joints in working order.

All that exertion yesterday during the Wales match...

My jaw is quite stiff after eating all that Pomegranate Turkish Delight.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

As Andy says above, there is multiple grieving with Alzheimer's . We watched several friends go through it. I used to say that they grieved 3 times.

Firstly when their spouse/partner becomes a different person from the one they fell in love with.

Secondly when that person has to go into a home.

Thirdly, when they finally die.

I'm just very pleased that this didn't happen to either mi e or Beth's parents.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Very very cold here today, -14 in USA temp.

On Friday the water main up the ‘ill from us burst, and sent hundreds of thousands of gallons on water spilling down the hill into our yard for 48 hours, this collected into a pond in places 2 1/2 feet deep, and promptly froze. It froze so much that it was possible to walk on it without danger of falling in! The first time I’ve ever walked on a frozen pond. Pictures below.

8259873C-27F2-4112-AD8A-A9E525DFCE72.jpeg.acb2ca0d45f5faaaa002144ba63eeb64.jpeg

Heres me standing on the pond bit, looking suitably thrilled. Really I was looking at a very bright wall behind the camera. You can see the muddy stream from the water main brake in the foreground. 

A1C9C6C6-722F-4B5A-B4D5-C790EB11733B.jpeg.35d9ff0d58e83af6ab8858234d574ba0.jpeg

The pond goes back another 70 feet.

9597322E-07EE-4CFF-9DCA-622707B24A3F.jpeg.d7e6d116fa1df338561b98ae32ec8001.jpeg

An overall view, showing the 2 inch thick ice slicks going up the hill. 

Currently it’s snowing, and 5-8 inches should be on the ground come dusk. Frostbite is on discount today, exposed skin for longer than 30 minutes and there you go.

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12