Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

As my grandfather used to say: 'Another day, another dollar.'

A still start to the day, with no wind and a typical Telfland sky of grey.

I spent quite a bit of time outdoors yesterday:  Maximising the storage cube of the garage.  For those not familiar with the term it means pulling junk out and restacking it. so it looks less like junk.

Anyhow, all these heave-ho resulted in me feeling very tired and retiring  for a reasonably early night and having a very good sleep, although waking up at 0445 and finding it was already light  outside was pleasantly surprising.

I think a bit more maximising is required in the various external storage sites around the Hippodrome:  This really means showing off to the neighbours how much junk I actually have, and how they should be grateful that I keep it hidden most of the time.

What I really ought to be doing is making a pair of long skirting boards.  This involves making some scarf joints.  Because of the thickness, or lack of it in the materiel, once the joint is made and  the two bits of timber are cramped and glued in place, I route a long slot in the back face of the board and then add a reinforcing bar to spread the load.  Once it's in position there is no load, but there is quite a bit when you are having to carry it upstairs, so any additional strength is welcome.

The other method would be to get a much longer length of skirting, but I have no means of getting such home.

However, I have decided that this latest crop of diy is the last major works I shall be doing, any future works will be sub contracted out to others allowing me to concentrate on procrastination about my various hobbies.

I really must maximise the modelling room. Might keep Mrs SM42 quiet for a bit. 

However it would need to be an almost weekly activity or I would never get any modelling done.

I am also now a firm believer in DFY ( done for you) rather than DIY

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

However, I have decided that this latest crop of diy is the last major works I shall be doing, any future works will be sub contracted out to others allowing me to concentrate on procrastination about my various hobbies.

This has been a model that I have followed for a number of years now and I can thoroughly recommend it. I really don't think you can have to much procrastination. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Uh-oh!

It has just been decreed by the Glorious and Most Majestic Leader  that Easter is coming.

Now I quite like Easter, lots of food. I am off chocolate for lent and am saving enough mini eggs so I can have a bath in  them. :dancer:

No, what concerns me about this majestic proclamation is that the house needs to be tidied  in readiness.

This ironically could get messy :unsure:

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If only subbie (or GALMI) did an ace job at a sensible price then life would be so much easier though.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Maximizing the storage cube knows no bounds.

I ended up shifting a pile of soil from one side of the garden to the other!

Knowing my luck it will have to be moved again before the end of Spring.

Perhaps it is a sign of spring. Aditi has dug a number of holes around the garden over the last few days. 

Edited by Tony_S
Missing letter
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Aditi’s worldwide family having been sharing their springtime gardening via WhatsApp photos. I wasn’t totally sure what her uncle in California was doing but “laying sods” seemed to be about creating a new lawn. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi’s worldwide family having been sharing their springtime gardening via WhatsApp photos. I wasn’t totally sure what her uncle in California was doing but “laying sods” seemed to be about creating a new lawn. 

We'd call it doing a bit of turfing:laugh_mini:.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We'd call it doing a bit of turfing:laugh_mini:.

Same here but it took  a moment to work out what Uncle was going to do with  all the sods he had delivered. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Don't seed it.

Sod it.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Don't seed it.

Sod it.

Back in early 1992 I decided (actually I think Aditi suggested) it would be quite nice to have  a back lawn. We had moved into this house in December 1990. As this was one of the last houses to be built in the road our “topsoil” was mainly compacted clay and rubble. We borrowed Aditi’s father’s rotovator. This was a large device more suited to the one acre paddock where he grew stuff or clearing undergrowth elsewhere. Anyway I got it in the back of our Astra by taking various bits off. We certainly struggled removing it. Nowadays we have really useful neighbours but back then there was no one capable of helping. It was just about possible to get it down the side of the house. Unfortunately Essex sun dried clay resulted in a one of the blades breaking. I welded it back on but it didn’t last long and had to have it welded properly. The nice man at the garden centre said if their weld didn’t work, they would credit me with the cost towards a new part. Anyway it was fine. I did all the grass sowing as per the instructions in various gardening books. After all this we decided to have a day out and went to Hever Castle.  There was a torrential downpour that day. Most of the seed ended up in a flowerbed as there is a slight slope on our garden. Seems ok now though. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps it is a sign of spring. Aditi has dug a number of holes around the garden over the last few days. 

Man traps?

Be careful out there 

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Since today is Jill's **th birthday (it is a significant one) I'm doing all the household stuff so visits to TNM are restricted to pretty much nil. However, hello everyone and having said that, cheerio.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

GALMI comes on Saturday to give a couple of quotes.

It's more a case of seeing what he has to do,  and when he can do it.  He has done work for us before and can be trusted to do an excellent job at a sensible price.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have come to the conclusion, that I'm just going to have to start throwing things away.

The storage cube has been optimally packed and there is just too much stuff for too little space.

In all honesty, I've known this for years, but have valiantly ignored common sense  and  grasped at the futility of fantasy.

I shall gladly rid myself of the accursed heaps of junk, knowing that much space will created as a result.

The added bonus (sting in the tail) will come because I know I will need it about 14 days after I get rid of it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Please give our best wishes to Jill.

PS Is there cake?  (Asking for a bear)

Indeed there was. Not only that but it was Lemon Drizzle Cake, hence my reluctance to advertise the fact before it was all consumed as I'm unsure about the afficacy of the UDS*. Best wishes passed on with thanks in return.

Today is one of those catching up ones involving 3M - not sticky tape but meetings, maintenance and mail. Not my favourite kind of day but the alternative would have been involvement in housework so at least I've escaped that. The other string to that particular bow was that my sciatica is slowly getting better so anything involving bending, wielding vacuum cleaners etc. would have been medically a bad idea. How long that excuse reasoning will continue to be seen as valid is another matter.

Have a good week folks.

Dave

*Ursine Defence System 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

The other string to that particular bow was that my sciatica is slowly getting better so anything involving bending, wielding vacuum cleaners etc. would have been medically a bad idea. How long that excuse reasoning will continue to be seen as valid is another matter.

I managed to string the anti vibration excuse out for a good 4 months after my retinal repair

All I did was sit around in a comfy chair in a dust free environment whilst being fed fruit and cake.

I especially appreciated the spirit in which the fruit was given.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5