Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

We have the same problem with a local dog owner allowing his pooch to unload on our property then walking away without clearing it up. I have asked him to remove the mess but just get a withering look so am considering saving the stuff up for a while then taking it round ti his front garden and leaving it there to see if he gets the message. 

Newsflash for HH and the Bear - a Victoria sponge cake is baking at Hunt Towers as I type this. It is for consumption tomorrow as part of the celebrations for my Dad's 98th birthday so the outer defensive ring is being strengthened and combat air patrols mounted to repel invaders. The urgency for these actions is probably not as great as it would be were the contents of the oven a lemon drizzle cake but you can't be too careful.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I was thinking more of the irresponsible owner i love dogs 

I was trying to carefully word it as I wrote on another forum on the same subject. "Its not the dogs but the owners." I would expect a similar response to that statement here.:jester:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

We have the same problem with a local dog owner allowing his pooch to unload on our property then walking away without clearing it up. I have asked him to remove the mess but just get a withering look so am considering saving the stuff up for a while then taking it round ti his front garden and leaving it there to see if he gets the message. 

Newsflash for HH and the Bear - a Victoria sponge cake is baking at Hunt Towers as I type this. It is for consumption tomorrow as part of the celebrations for my Dad's 98th birthday so the outer defensive ring is being strengthened and combat air patrols mounted to repel invaders. The urgency for these actions is probably not as great as it would be were the contents of the oven a lemon drizzle cake but you can't be too careful.

Dave

Not wishing to dent you upstanding in the community but you could always grass him up to the feds.

I photo of the act along with some words ie he lives at so and so would probably elicit a visitation to said property along with some words - book him Jono. Whilst not as satisfying as your proposal it may elicit a more desirable result.

Having said that it could also result in you being labelled a snitch and a visit from offender along with g his 'brothers' to have a 'word' . We would of course all chip in and get you a nice wreath and HH would offer to pull the hearse. Once he's been released that is on police bail pending enquires into the 'disappearance' of the miscreant.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I was trying to carefully word it as I wrote on another forum on the same subject. "Its not the dogs but the owners." I would expect a similar response to that statement here.:jester:

If it is the owner, I shall be sniping from cover with far more than a camera

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Dad used to work nights and frequently noticed a couple of piles of canine waste on the front lawn. His hours changed slightly and he was home a bit earlier. He noticed a chap walk to the front garden, let a couple of poodles off their leads and wait for them to hop over the very low wall and relieve themselves. Dad didn’t say anything, he just followed the chap to find out where he lived. Next morning Dad quietly explained the dog owners error and what would happen if it ever occurred again. Never saw the chap again. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought rocket launchers were illegal in private hands.:jester:

I would have thought that he would arrange an artillery strike by the drop shorts, aka the 9 mile snipers, unless of course he is worried that they might hit the Hippodrome instead.  The one thing you mustn't do is call in the USAF for an air strike, everybody has to duck when they fly over you.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A "friend of a friend" had a similar problem - he too got fed up with it, so picked it up with his bare hands and stuffed it in the bloke's pocket.  Never had a problem again....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

A "friend of a friend" had a similar problem - he too got fed up with it, so picked it up with his bare hands and stuffed it in the bloke's pocket.  Never had a problem again....

I had a similar issue with a speeding driver who actually aimed at me as I was picking up a deposit.

It made a lovely smear down the side of his white VW Golf.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

More news from Llangollen courtesy of Rail Advent 3 locks are up for sale Austin 1, a Hudswell Clarke and a pannier tank. The Trust are hoping that they are still kept there

From Heritage rail

Srps are trying to sort out Morayshire, they had an agreement with Llangollen but insolvency has thrown spanners in the works although later in article they say it has been removed

Appeals have been launched to buy back rolling stock to allow services to restart subject to legal and licensing issues

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

More news from Llangollen courtesy of Rail Advent 3 locks are up for sale Austin 1, a Hudswell Clarke and a pannier tank. The Trust are hoping that they are still kept there

From Heritage rail

Srps are trying to sort out Morayshire, they had an agreement with Llangollen but insolvency has thrown spanners in the works although later in article they say it has been removed

Appeals have been launched to buy back rolling stock to allow services to restart subject to legal and licensing issues

Sadly I don't really need another pannier tank.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sadly I don't really need another pannier tank.

Two questions:

1. What is the minimum number of pannier tanks to possess to qualify as a Great Western enthusiast?
  2. What is the maximum number ditto to really not need any more?

I suspect that if answer (2) < answer (1), one would be happier with a LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T. I know that's how I started out: 47606.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

Afternoon all from Santa Fe.

We arrived safely, 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The past few days have been spent wandering around this most interesting city, but tomorrow is to be spent skiing. (Oh dear) I’ve only skied once before, so it should be amusing for passers-by. 

Anyways here are some nice photos, the first one showing the very nice view from above where I’m staying. 

7F36528B-FF1E-4DFA-BD97-04058E7A914D.jpeg.33489518ae86ebaa5451ebf997de4304.jpeg

Below is one of the many art museums, the picture taken from the Cathedral park.

1260BC39-5132-441A-A30A-C7335EF0DD06.jpeg.4ea42dbaac332f643fa6cb1b21a3549f.jpeg

Now the important stuff. Today we made a unexpected visit to an antique mall, (we were hunting for antique prints, long story) and by chance happened upon this very very fine 1894 Waltham Watch Company pocket watch, at a very good price. I had been looking at these for several months now (my other hobby besides model railways is staring at unobtainable watches on eBay) and long story short it was acquired as a very early birthday present for me. Everything appears to work, and after some careful winding and setting of the time, it is now ticking away happily.

AA04BB22-84D0-40B1-9F73-3D9FF7775949.jpeg.16ecc499d01cec830673f823b75e419d.jpeg

D188D651-280B-4AB6-9D48-AC4DDEEABA4F.jpeg.0fafcd135015fc81fc83ec6f617d96c9.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

We arrived safely, 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The past few days have been sown wandering around this most interesting city, 

It is, isn't it? It has the oldest cathedral in the United States - gives one pause for thought. It is also the oldest state capital, in the sense of having been continuously the administrative centre of New Mexico since 1610.

I visited in 1992 and 1998 - while staying with friends at Los Alamos. I was much taken with the plaza - a very pleasant spot.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Compound2632 said:

It is, isn't it? Oldest cathedral in the United States - gives one pause for thought. 

I visited in 1992 and 1998 - while staying with friends at Los Alamos. I was much taken with the plaza - a very pleasant spot.

Agreed, we may be going to Los Alamos at some point this week, but snow is predicted so it’s still undecided. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

We arrived safely, 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The past few days have been spent wandering around this most interesting city, but tomorrow is to be spent skiing. (Oh dear) I’ve only skied once before, so it should be amusing for passers-by. 

Anyways here are some nice photos, the first one showing the very nice view from above where I’m staying. 

Below is one of the many art museums, the picture taken from the Cathedral park.

Now the important stuff. Today we made a unexpected visit to an antique mall, (we were hunting for antique prints, long story) and by chance happened upon this very very fine 1894 Waltham Watch Company pocket watch, at a very good price. I had been looking at these for several months now (my other hobby besides model railways is staring at unobtainable watches on eBay) and long story short it was acquired as a very early birthday present for me. Everything appears to work, and after some careful winding and setting of the time, it is now ticking away happily.

Douglas

I am envious of your visit to Santa Fe, Julie likes Calvin Begay jewellery and Santa Fe has quite a few stores selling Native American jewellery. Its on our list to visit as we have only been into NM at Four Corners.

Good luck with the skiing 

Chris.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine had the same problem with dog poo and he told the gentleman to remove it and received a blank stare. He the followed him home and depositt it on his door step. He then covered the poo with a piece of paper which he then set on fire and rung the door bell. I will leave you to guess the rest !

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Douglas

That is an extremely fine double hunter.

All you need now is a suitable waistcoat and chain to really show it off.  Although they do go quite well if you have a pair of decent trousers with a proper watch pocket and a chain that attaches to your belt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1