Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Sad to report, no easter bunnies of an description or even an easter egg were present when the palace was checked this morning.

Jamie

SM42 Towers is awash with eggs  both chocolate and real. Mrs SM42 spent yesterday baking cakes and colouring eggs amongst other things. Easter breakfast awaits. 

Yesterday was a little awkward as the ride to work was cut short after the first mile by a bewildering number of seemingly unrelated warnings on the dashboard. 

A quick u turn and Mrs SM42's car was commandeered

This really put a spanner in the works of her plans as she was now reduced to walking everywhere, and there was a lot of stuff she had  to do. 

Can't get the ride looked at till Wednesday at the earliest. 12 hour shifts dont help. 

Looks like she is going to do a lot more walking.

On the bright side my abstinence from chocolate for Lent is at an end.:dance_mini:

I may feel a little sick later :bo_mini:

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The roof hinge wouldn't work?

Roof? Hinge?

Happy Easter everyone from a sunny but very cool (as in frosty) North Hipposhire. Adjoining the bottom end of our garden is a smallholding where live some chickens. On our side of the dividing fence is a blackberry bush and the chickens just love blackberries. Hence, in the autumn we often get escapees in our garden that somehow circumvent six feet of fence but seemingly can't manage the return journey so a 'phone call to the owner has to be made. The antics of four of us trying to capture one chicken haveto be seen. Once, when the owners were on holiday, we had a resident chicken in our garden for nearly three weeks and she actually learned that by tapping on my workshop door  she could attract a human whom she could then persuade to follow her to the blackberry bush and pick some juicy ones for her that were otherwise out of her reach. Bird brained?  I think not.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Once, when the owners were on holiday, we had a resident chicken in our garden for nearly three weeks and she actually learned that by tapping on my workshop door  she could attract a human whom she could then persuade to follow her to the blackberry bush and pick some juicy ones for her that were otherwise out of her reach. Bird brained?  I think not.

Dave

Hope she returned the favour by leaving some fresh eggs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I have just been invited to a Railway exhibition in September 2022!

I'd better build a suitable model railway to exhibit.

I did have a cunning plan regarding a 'Roundy' using Peco set track for the hidden returns between the fiddle yard and the scenic section.

But it got very big, very quickly!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have just been invited to a Railway exhibition in September 2022!

I'd better build a suitable model railway to exhibit.

I did have a cunning plan regarding a 'Roundy' using Peco set track for the hidden returns between the fiddle yard and the scenic section.

But it got very big, very quickly!

They always do

You start off with a shunting plank and end up with the entire West Coast.

Andy

PS  Yay! Cake

20210404_134110.jpg.77d46b310121b6160c63e83832c67432.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hope she returned the favour by leaving some fresh eggs.

While she was inhabiting our garden we didn't find any eggs, which was a bit of a disappointment, but some months later when doing the spring garden tidy we discovered that she had laid some behind a tangled bit of undergrowth that up until then had been unreachable by humans. We decided that even though there was no use by date printed on them we would not try eating any!

Dave

PS, although some of the eggs had been broken into, there were a surprising number still intact considering that there are foxes and at that time a hedgehog in the neighbourhood.

Edited by Dave Hunt
Adding PS
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I woke up this morning and could not remember which day it was!

I knew it was day, because it was light outside, but that was about it.

However I do know that it is going to be colder today.

Somebody else has already stated she is going to be working on a jigsaw in our conservatory, so I've pre-empted the cry of 'it's cold in here' by putting on the heater in anticipation.

Perhaps I will finally get around to getting the 14xx fitted with it's sound decoder, speakers and stay alive capacitor.

On the subject of the stay alive, I fitted a small one to the Fowler, and it is quite surreal to take the loco off the rolling road, put it on the table top and watch it continue across the table for another 5 seconds or so.

However, I am minded that having a dead section on either side of a lift out section of a baseboard might have the ability to generate some rather vulgar language, when using locos so equipped.

Breakfast now and then roasted lamb for lunch.  Add to that a bottle of red as a special treat and technical matters involving concentration and a hot soldering iron had better be carried out before noon!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The 14xx is now sound fitted and I'll renumber the decoder to the correct loco number when I find the Powercab instruction book:  I have done the number thing before, but it is so long ago that I've forgotten.

The lamb was eaten and the wine was drunkened.

After the snow flurries this morning, I may go outside now the sun it shining and do some more clearing up.  however, as it is Easter Monday, I'll refrain from using power tools that make a noise (I did the same yesterday).  Some of our neighbours are not quite as considerate.

• Like 6