Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I spend a lot of time on tip toe when I'm above ground level:

image.png.0cd57a724f8832721cdc0b2ff602025b.png

To be honest Big H I don't think it makes much difference. 

I think you're just going to have to accept it that you are f...........g BIG. Sorry if that comes as a shock and everything and we will accept it if you want to go and wallow on your own for a bit, but the sooner you get over it the better for everyone. :P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

To be honest Big H I don't think it makes much difference. 

I think you're just going to have to accept it that you are f...........g BIG. Sorry if that comes as a shock and everything and we will accept it if you want to go and wallow on your own for a bit, but the sooner you get over it the better for everyone. :P

I have a dark side!

image.png.a85d3b6cedf4424e1c36bc91582fd3bd.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I thought that I felt some earth tremors over here. :biggrin_mini:

You want to try living within 15 miles!! When we first moved here I thought it was in a subduction zone.

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have a dark side!

image.png.a85d3b6cedf4424e1c36bc91582fd3bd.png

Look I just thought someone had to tell you. It's no good you being in the dark about it. No matter want anyone else says they'll always be a place for you, Big H.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Since my weight is an issue, I have been trying to reduce the weight of things around me.

Apart from cake tins which always end up much lighter, the next project will be light weight portable baseboards.

This is nothing new or original,  but I want to make a portable  7 mm scale model railway that will run sensible length trains and when packed for transportation will fit in the back of the car.  Ply and foam boards with very shallow scenics will be the order of the day.  The abutments of any bridges being the maximum height allowed.  Illumination will be a couple of lighting poles.

I revisited my Torri Gwynt plan and moved down the  track plan to Rhech Capel Junction.  Here I have potential for a freight only line based around the concept of a railhead on a line which once continued serving an industry at the end of a branch.  Aficionados of the Forest of Dean will see shades of Coleford Junction, but the reversals of traffic at places such as Brymbo or Nantmawr are similar.

Since this will be set reasonably firmly in the diesel period, I am taking a leaf out of the Rolley bible of S Wales rail operations, and applying C2 working which effectively does away with any visible signalling!

Track will be, un-prototypically, in flat bottomed rail which will gobble up a lot of the track left over from the South Greenfield recycling operation.  

The electrics will simply be a bus bar which utilises the over centre baseboard catches on either side of the board to carry positive and negative current.

Less than half a dozen turnouts will  suffice and will all be operated by push rods and driving microswitches for crossing nose polarity.

A socket at each end for the NCE Powercab will be sufficient.

I need to wrangle the design of the boards, although initial sketches show that 4 boards with integral legs will fit  face to face, in the car and still leave space for stock, toolboxes, ancilliaries and luggage.

I suspect all it will cost me is time and effort as I already have all the materiel required to build it.

Dimensions...  wait for it:

Overall 18' x 2'!

That's four boards of 4' x 2'. (Yes I know that's only 16') two of which will each be cut as a trapezium to create a curve in the visible trackwork.

The fiddle yard (cassettes) will be plain topped 4' x 2' board with a 2' x 2' fold out extension.  This will lie face to face for transit purposes but when opened out will create a table of 6' x 2' on which to wrangle the cassettes.  Such a table will give me a class 2/3 diesel pulling 8 mineral wagons and a brake van.

The rub is that such a train will be longer than the available head shunt, so will cause problems for the unwary.

Providing I can create a suitable footprint for the storage and transport of the boards, I am planning on starting this little scheme in July/August.

This will keep me outside and prevent me from going upstairs and causing much anquish to the floorboards.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

From reports that I have heard, visitors to a certain establishment near Ashford would agree.

Jamie

I am now a much gentler and less ruthless soul: Although I still have my moments.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am now a much gentler and less ruthless soul: Although I still have my moments.

So Dave and I can take you Penderryn without fear then. We wouldvof course raise a glass in your direction to say thanks.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

The Weeden has been taken to school today, as my social studies teacher was open to a demonstration as we are currently going over the industrial revolution. I’ve taken engines to school twice before, but never this one so hopefully all will go well. It has been highly anticipated by the class though. 

Douglas 

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

So Dave and I can take you Penderryn without fear then. We wouldvof course raise a glass in your direction to say thanks.

Jamie

A pointless exercise as I have none at present.

Although this was sent to me the other day:

image.png.54cf8a7046fd161b324aa5fa74d7b046.png

I'd suggest that only Dave and I seem remotely qualified for this arduous work!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Well the steaming has been done, I held captive audience and nothing caught fire. So I would venture to call it a success. The engine is now being taken temporarily out of service for the fitting of the aforementioned boiler feedwater system. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well the steaming has been done, I held captive audience and noting caught fire. So I would venture to call it a success. The engine is now being taken temporarily out of service for the fitting of the aforementioned boiler feedwater system. 

Douglas

Well done with not burning the school down.

Next time they ask for something, you could take your kart in and make a racetrack around the corridors!

Once you've fitted the feed water apparatus, remember to use it little and often to keep water and steam pressures in balance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I note that the ability to spill correctly doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Adrian

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I note that the ability to spill correctly doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Adrian

Being from the west side of the pond, he is disadvantaged in the spelling department.

I suspect quite a bit of Appleton's rum had been consumed by the time he was able to string that lot together:laugh_mini:.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

And just to make sure that I'm keeping up to date on their products in preparation for the job interview I acquired another bottle yesterday. So far my taste buds seem still to be in good order.

Took some stuff in to the hospital for Dad yesterday including his mobile phone and spoke to him last night. The physioterrorists are working on him already but their initial efforts caused too much pain so they have backed off a bit.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9