Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Evening,

The karting season is imminent, so last night the engine oil was flushed and dad fitted a new clutch to the kart today. The rear crash bar was also straightened, as it had a brief encounter with a tire wall. 

Jambalaya (traditional Louisiana dish, other side of the family is from there) was had for dinner, and was very good along with some suitable bread.

Anyways here’s something we might find interesting, a very enjoyable way to spend an hour.

The engine was restored by two young guys in their 20s, P. Beard who presents the video, and an associate of mine named A. E. Karnes. Both are currently at the forefront of stationary steam preservation in the USA. There isn’t much available online about the engine, but I think it has a Facebook page. I presume it types with the disconnected pump rods :D.

Douglas

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It's looking better outside this morning, so a spot of gardening may be on the cards.

We have potatoes to plant out in one of the veg beds, and Nyda has plans to transplant some Blackthorn and Holly bushes we have 'spare' into a new hedge line we are developing in the front garden.

I also need to cut the last of our Cauliflower:  From dismal failure a few years back, we now seem to be able to grow them to a far higher standard.

I also need to think about getting my workshop repainted, as it's starting to look a little threadbare on the outside.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just spent an entertaining and informative hour watching the video of the water pumping engine that Douglas posted. Good to see that two young guys are involved in preserving machinery like that. Thanks Douglas.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Richard,

Thanks for asking about Dad. He's still in considerable pain when the physioterrorists get at him but can sit in a chair quite comfortably and I think he is still on some sort of morphine substance. We are hoping that he may be able to be transferred at some stage to Whitchurch hospital for rehabilitation but from the little we know that may still be some time off.

Cheers

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Richard,

Thanks for asking about Dad. He's still in considerable pain when the physioterrorists get at him but can sit in a chair quite comfortably and I think he is still on some sort of morphine substance. We are hoping that he may be able to be transferred at some stage to Whitchurch hospital for rehabilitation but from the little we know that may still be some time off.

Cheers

Dave

It's good that the terrorists are working on him. I hope that he progresses well. I think that it speaks volumes that the NHS is giving a man of his age such good care and attention.  In the 70's there were a couple of incidents on the estate that I worked where ladies in their 70's were knocked over by kids on bicycles. The usual progress was, broken femur, traction and pot then died  from pneumonia.  Thank goodness times have changed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's good that the terrorists are working on him. I hope that he progresses well. I think that it speaks volumes that the NHS is giving a man of his age such good care and attention.  In the 70's there were a couple of incidents on the estate that I worked where ladies in their 70's were knocked over by kids on bicycles. The usual progress was, broken femur, traction and pot then died  from pneumonia.  Thank goodness times have changed.

Jamie

Good point Jamie. I suspect it also tells us that the reduction in Covid infections in the UK means resources are now available for other vital NHS functions. Where you and I live I sense things are just dreadful, with resources hopelessly overwhelmed in many places. I wonder how many people will be indirect Covid victims because proper care of their everyday accident or condition was simply not available. 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

59 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Yes things have moved on a lot since the 70's hence the physics getting to work straight away rather than it being left. So positive thoughts.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

here ladies in their 70's

I think there may have been some “postcode lottery” about treatment back then too. When my mother was in her seventies she definitely felt she had been “written off” due to age for certain treatments. When she was about 80 she moved to Worcestershire and the difference was notable. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes things have moved on a lot since the 70's hence the physics getting to work straight away rather than it being left. So positive thoughts.

The morning after Matthew was born, the door to the hospital room Aditi was in burst open and a very small woman with a clipboard came in and said “ Hi, I  am Minnie, time to get you up and exercise”. Aditi said “have you actually looked at me”. She still had various drips and drains attached. The nurses had said they would get her up in the afternoon. The physio hadn’t noticed the tick in the box for caesarean. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

When I had a knee replacement I didn't get back to the ward from theatre until about 9.30 pm. At 7.30 next morning the physios had me out of bed and exercising. I was discharged two days later.

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

All the previous talk about panniers has made me realise that Dave Hunt needs some serious inoculation with all the negative propaganda flowing around hipposhire.   The Midland didn't quite have panniers but did have something rather nice that looked like one, and of course was painted a decent colour.

_DSC3331_resize.JPG.9d97deefe9b5a3113101eefc4cd97522.JPG

However if you must have a green engine here's one that is acceptable.

P4111009.JPG.4b1d940f34ddd4c4541e143464501215.JPG

Both built or modified by the late Tony Bond and they originally shared a chassis and the body would get exchanged during shows.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course those are both saddle tanks, which was how many panniers started out - and would have done well to remain. Quite charming machines. Here's evidence that not all Great Western engines had abnormalities:

793643952_GW3232ClassNo_3235.jpg.60f6946e141ac42624d7f5916edafb89.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
Typo corrected
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

All the previous talk about panniers has made me realise that Dave Hunt needs some serious inoculation with all the negative propaganda flowing around hipposhire.   The Midland didn't quite have panniers but did have something rather nice that looked like one, and of course was painted a decent colour.

_DSC3331_resize.JPG.2a25e979cb0d05ef2d7fc87bfe573f63.JPG

However if you must have a green engine here's one that is acceptable.

P4111009.JPG.649c2c96ef6234cefc4e75e90edcab24.JPG

Both built or modified by the late Tony Bond and they originally shared a chassis and the body would get exchanged during shows.

Jamie

The (in)famous Jamie Dodger.

Despite all the shiny bits on GWR nameplates, some chimney tops, safety valve covers, name and most numberplates, to the best of my knowledge, no GWR engine ever had a Copper Nob.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The (in)famous Jamie Dodger.

Despite all the shiny bits on GWR nameplates, some chimney tops, safety valve covers, name and most numberplates, to the best of my knowledge, no GWR engine ever had a Copper Nob.

As farcas I know that was another railway that also painted it's engines red, a rather nice Indian red namely The Furness Railway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We are hoping that he may be able to be transferred at some stage to Whitchurch hospital for rehabilitation

I hope that he is able to move soon as it is a lovely little hospital and much calmer than RSH.

All best wishes to you all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

As farcas I know that was another railway that also painted it's engines red, a rather nice Indian red namely The Furness Railway.

As exquisitely modelled by Ross Pochin.  I recall his Furness Railway locos being the subject of more than one article in the model railway press of the time.  (Probably the 1970s.)

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

I hope that he is able to move soon as it is a lovely little hospital and much calmer than RSH.

Yes, it is a lovely place. My Mum was in there for a couple of months four years ago following her second stroke and the care she got there was outstanding.

Dave 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I recall the article about the 2-2-2WT, and it is simply stunning by today's standards never mind back then. What a craftsman.

Was that the one where the leading and trailing axles were driven rather than the middle one?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1