Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

(he was Welsh, and his first name was iestyn [spelling?] ). 

Correct spelling PB, just needed a Capital I !

Bear did type that originally, but capital "I" (i) looks far to similar to capital "l" (L) - I+l - just a minute difference in height.  So Iestyn could've been mistaken for Lestyn.  So iestyn it was.

Confused?

• Like 5

My ex bosses son was really into sailing i think he won World championships in whatever class he competed in not bad really for a lad from Rotherham 

Addition

It was the international 14 class he sails in

He also builds boats i believe 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

I heard earlier that with luck Dad will be transferred to Whitchurch tomorrow, which I hope will get his recovery going a bit quicker. To celebrate I spent some time in the workshop, having built up some brownie points by joining in this morning's housework frenzy.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Wind-up, not wind-up! Though the thought does get the wind up me. 

I used to think Shropshire was the sweetest-smelling of counties.

I don't wish to worry you but...

My daughter lives in Reading, and once lockdown is completely over and we return to being able to visit, I shall be venturing south.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

The A30 in Cornwall passes the village of Fraddon. At the junction a small retail park has developed, including a McDs. The area is known as Hamburger Hill. Luckily, there is a pig farm at the top which hides the smell of the burgers.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't wish to worry you but...

My daughter lives in Reading, and once lockdown is completely over and we return to being able to visit, I shall be venturing south.

I've never been to the ALSRM May show as it always clashes with our local club show. 

Whereabouts in Reading?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've never been to the ALSRM May show as it always clashes with our local club show. 

Whereabouts in Reading?

It’s the Rivermead centre, near Caversham bridge. But not on this year, is yours still on?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sailing it in the River Conwy when the tide was rising or falling could be entertaining as it was possible for the boat to end up unable to manoeuvre if the boat speed matched the water speed. It was interesting, to say the least, as to how quickly you could be moved up or down stream without any assistance from the wind.  The iron sail was often your best friend!

Entering Poole Harbour on a flood tide with a light southerly can be rather, err,  interesting, especially when the chain ferry is running.

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s the Rivermead centre, near Caversham bridge. But not on this year, is yours still on?

I meant, your daughter - in order to know whether we'd be upwind or down! No, our show - Swallowfield - is off again. The Club won't be meeting until later in May anyway. Not yet sure about our autumn exhibition, Earley St Peters.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Great news indeed, Phill.

We have winter tyres on Mrs NHN's C3 Picasso, we found their grip in wet conditions (she commutes over the mountain road) remarkable so left them on all year. It's not often over 10c up there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Great news indeed, Phill.

We have winter tyres on Mrs NHN's C3 Picasso, we found their grip in wet conditions (she commutes over the mountain road) remarkable so left them on all year. It's not often over 10c up there.

When we first had them they were actually fitted when our road was covered in snow and ice. So I had driven the Clio to the tyre retailer and then back home with the new tyres. The difference was very obvious.

Tony. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It was reported that some Americans are getting upset about an (old) environmental emissions report that the Daily Mail found that recommended a reduction in meat consumption. They are compaining that they'll be restricted to 4 lbs of beef a year and vegetarian beer.

Not mentioned by the agitators that the report is several administrations old and never adopted.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I opened up my email from rmweb just now and saw this.

I really did think he’d gotten iD’s stash!

Only the dross that Bear left behind - you know the stuff - anything with coffee, cream, loads of nuts etc. etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Is that why it was once called “Salop”?

Good thing it's not in France a Salope, same pronunciation, has a totaly different meaning.

Good news about Mr H senior.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm told that Salop is derived from an old French term 'salopberia' but don't know what that meant. Can Jamie shed light on that? Or is it not acceptable in a family show like this?

Dave

• Like 3