Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If you have a dog, any dropped foodstuffs will often not even reach the floor.

Our dog, who passed away three years ago, could detect the preparations for cake making even before any mixing of ingredients took place. He recognised the removal of the necessary utensils from various cupboards and knew that eventually there would be a mixing bowl to lick out and after cooking there would very possibly be crumbs as the cake was removed from the baking tin(s). Getting him out of the kitchen throughout the proceedings was impossible.

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

If you have a dog, any dropped foodstuffs will often not even reach the floor.

Bears beat the dogs....

Incidentally, Bears NEVER leave crumbs, EVER.  Just think how much cake a lifetime of crumbs adds up to....

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Something that springs to mind (sorry about that) - Is there such a thing as a Bassett Lowke society or similar that Douglas could use to try to acquire a new spring for the George V?

Dave

There is indeed a Bassett Lowke Society, which does supposedly have a spares list, but I intend to use the original spring after annealing both ends as it is in good condition, (for its not inconsiderable age) having been well greased. The photo makes its condition look quite bad.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have now joined the ranks of the indestructible immortals. Well, at least for the time being.

First came Captain America, then Iron Man, and now............................

The Mighty Pachyderm.

Be afraid, Telfs, be very afraid.

'Night all.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have now joined the ranks of the indestructible immortals. Well, at least for the time being. The doctor who gave me Jab2 was from Chicago. 

A hell of a daily commute if you ask me:lol:

Chicago,  the Windy City....

I'll just leave it there.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I was not feeling brilliant last night, so I went to bed and got a good night's sleep.

This morning I'm feeling fine apart from a sore arm at the vaccination point.

A quick peep out of the window reveals a grey damp start to the morning, so I will probably contain my efforts to some work indoors.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

First came Captain America, then Iron Man, and now............................

The Mighty Pachyderm.

Be afraid, Telfs, be very afraid.

'Night all.

Dave

I'll drop a rank!

image.png.e73838c31ad80076c080e782eab8649d.png

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Terrifying or what??

I await the headlines on the new scourge of the Telfs.

Off to see Dad again this afternoon and maybe get some idea of what is being planned for him.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Morgan has just called around making deliveries.  A repaired lawn mower here, an overhauled chainsaw there...

Our was a repaired garden trowel.

It had been bought as a Christmas present and was very shiney and posh with stainless blade with engraved depth markings.

Unfortunately the fancy blade di not have a very good weld onto it's handle, so it had cracked and was close to breaking off.

I don't do welding, so Morgan got a friend of his to sort it out:  The friend doing a lot of welding on AFVs!

I don't think the new repair is going to give up the ghost anytime soon!

Personally, I'd have made the trowel as a one piece blade and tang, but I suppose that wouldn't have looked as pretty.

As it was the original weld was probably carried out using lead as a filler and a candle as the heat source.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

Good Morning All,

A few(?) days ago someone here was talking about Router Tables. Please are they easier to use than a hand held router? Is there a comparison between a Router Table and a Router and Table Saw and a Circular Saw?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

image.png.0bb257391512d89d3806492a1bfe3874.png

Saw table.  The saw is attached to the underside of the table and can be lifted/lowered and angled to suit.  The illustration is a very small table saw.  In a woodshop you might have one with an 8 x 4 bed that is very permanently fixed to the floor.  Long precision cuts are the order of the day.

image.png.134116e579502d29ac65a1784fb99a14.png

Circular saw.  The saw is totally portable.  It can be used freehand, guided with an on board fence or using extra fixtures to make long straight cuts

image.png.0e8b6755413afc5fa0c71f48580e6858.png

Router.  The rotating cutter can be moved up and down to whatever depth you require.  with attachments you can cut circles out of sheet materiel.

image.png.67fd1588364ce91968e5ba87440c4865.png

Router table.  A router can be bolted underneath and the cutter protrudes through the bed.

The hand held versions can be taken to the job which is handy on a building site.

The table tend to be used for long cuts where more precision is required.

Routers have different shaped cutters to allow various shapes to be made, such as ornamental shapes on the edges of cabinets, or cutting dove tails or T slots.  They have almost completely taken over from the old style rebate plane.  They trim edges with a cutter fitted with a ballraced guide.  This will allow the router to follow a template without overcutting into the finished workpiece.

That is a very brief overview

Are they easier to use?

A cheap router table can be quite difficult to set up, compared to a hand held plunge router, but once set up is much better for repetitive work.  They are probably  slightly safer if you carry out sensible safety precautions and use push sticks, but as with a table saw the blade remains exposed after the cut has been made.  Dust extraction is far easier with  a table saw or router.  A hand held plunge router and a hand held circular saw will automatically retract or the blade guard will operate.  However, such a feature is not a gold ticket for complacency.  Trim routers are single handed operation due to their size and the cutter does not retract after you switch the machine off.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

I have a plunge saw which is like a cross between a table saw and circular saw it has 2 long tracks that bolt together and you clamp them on the wood to be cut and the saw runs aling the track. I also have a small table saw which is ok but not good for large sheet work.

As Richard states you do need a push stick with a table saw its too easy to lose fingers.

I have a hand held router its an argos nasty but very versatile i bought black and decker piranha cutters cheap.

You can buy jigs to help with various projects like hinge recessess or make them youself.

I have only used a router table once it wasnt mine but very useful setting it up looked a nightmare 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have a plunge saw which is like a cross between a table saw and circular saw it has 2 long tracks that bolt together and you clamp them on the wood to be cut and the saw runs aling the track. I also have a small table saw which is ok but not good for large sheet work.

You can make various tracks for routers and jigsaws if you want.

I find the Americans have very good tutorial and assembly you tube channels.  There are also some really dangerous ones such as converting an angle grinder into a chain saw.  Definitely digit/limb/life losing capability with that one.

This chap from Japan produces some outstanding work.

One of his many construction projects:

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

posted by Sidecar Racer in 'Things That Make You Think'

image.png.84ca6ecb2cb3af192b7296c93733aa32.png

That is not the sort of imagine I want to see last thing before I go to bed. I will now have to find something to neutralize it before I retire for the evening.

Some people have a lot to be sorry for.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

Evening all,

As was guessed, yesterday I annealed the spring and reinstalled it. This is not a process that is in any way enjoyable. However the engine is working now, and can now run in both forward and reverse. This weekend the mechanism is due to be put in a bag of WD40 which will then be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner, to remove all the old oil I couldn't get to with a brush. Currently the coupling rods have been removed while a broken spoke is repaired.

IMG_2752.jpg.4ae3bbcb52030479d6f6bcde0920fd46.jpg

Below you can see most of the gear train, and almost all of the reversing unit. This works pretty much like the change wheels or tumblers on a lathe, ie adding another gear to the train to reverse the direction.  Towards the front of the mech on the shaft of the very thin steel pinion is the governor, hidden within its shroud. This stops the engine from reaching terminal velocity, and is centrifugal but not quite liked the steam engine one.  Above the pinon part is a brass disk which is the brake. A piece of steel connected via a most ingenious linkage connects to two handles in the cap, one allowing for the brake to be applied manually, and the other for use with a special braking track. The linkage when pulled, moves the piece of steel into contact with the disk, halty motion. 

IMG_2753.jpg.78e13daaf94635ae3688a65bbc95b915.jpg

So I am quite happy with this, all it needs now is a suitable place to run!

Douglas

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That is not the sort of imagine I want to see last thing before I go to bed. I will now have to find something to neutralize it before I retire for the evening.

Some people have a lot to be sorry for.

Fortunately  I didn't see that image till this morning and it hasn't spoilt my breakfast. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Fortunately  I didn't see that image till this morning and it hasn't spoilt my breakfast. 

Jamie

You're a hard man!

I enjoy fruit for my breakfast:

7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

As was guessed, yesterday I annealed the spring and reinstalled it. This is not a process that is in any way enjoyable. However the engine is working now, and can now run in both forward and reverse. 

Well done Douglas, excellent work.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1