Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

As was guessed, yesterday I annealed the spring and reinstalled it. This is not a process that is in any way enjoyable. However the engine is working now, and can now run in both forward and reverse. This weekend the mechanism is due to be put in a bag of WD40 which will then be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner, to remove all the old oil I couldn't get to with a brush. Currently the coupling rods have been removed while a broken spoke is repaired.

Great work, Douglas. You are rapidly becoming a model engineer of note and I suspect that before too long will be offering the rest of us advice rather than the other way round.

Dave

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Since Dad's endoscopy revealed nothing wrong internally and his femur has mended satisfactorily, he is being discharged from Whitchurch hospital and taken to a nursing home in Shrewsbury where he will continue to receive physiotherapy. His case will then be reviewed in two weeks' time and if he is still not mobile enough to return home, with some degree of daily help, we will have to look at more permanent nursing home care for him.

Ah, well, there goes the round the world trip we were planning for the near future :read: - or maybe not in view of such a thing being totally stupid and only contemplated by the terminally thick. Mind you, we are close to Telfland......

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Apparently there are 20 flights from the UK to Portugal on Monday, all now waiting for the OK from their authorities that UK passengers can be allowed in.

I don't understand the desperate rush to go abroad, especially as nowhere seems entirely free of Covid yet.  I also wonder how many of those planes are flying from Manchester / Liverpool, taking residents of Bolton. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Apparently there are 20 flights from the UK to Portugal on Monday, all now waiting for the OK from their authorities that UK passengers can be allowed in.

I don't understand the desperate rush to go abroad, especially as nowhere seems entirely free of Covid yet.  I also wonder how many of those planes are flying from Manchester / Liverpool, taking residents of Bolton. 

Do I understand that Portugal will be used as a stepping-off point for other EU destinations, not currently on the green list, hence the demand?

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly there aren't any anti-stupidity, anti-selfishness or anti-moronity (if there is such a word?) vaccines. I think that the airlines catering for such people should be renamed Lemmingair.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Since Dad's endoscopy revealed nothing wrong internally and his femur has mended satisfactorily, he is being discharged from Whitchurch hospital and taken to a nursing home in Shrewsbury where he will continue to receive physiotherapy. His case will then be reviewed in two weeks' time and if he is still not mobile enough to return home, with some degree of daily help, we will have to look at more permanent nursing home care for him.

Ah, well, there goes the round the world trip we were planning for the near future :read: - or maybe not in view of such a thing being totally stupid and only contemplated by the terminally thick. Mind you, we are close to Telfland......

Dave

Market Drayton- Oswestry-Shrewbury-Ludlow-Telford -Whitchurch-Market Drayton

That is a round the world trip!

Time it right and you could catch the Olympics at Much Wenlock

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

In fairness, Iberia is a fave place for Brits to have a second home, where they may spend the entire Summer. Having missed out last year in some cases, this year they are making the effort - and taking the risk. Although such people may well be double-jabbed already, too. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Do I understand that Portugal will be used as a stepping-off point for other EU destinations, not currently on the green list, hence the demand?

And for other destinations as well, there will probably be some idiots aiming for a weekend in Rio de Janerio.  Bill

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I suspect that quite a few selfish individuals came back to the UK from 'hotspots' without any isolation because they circumvented the precautions by flying in via a 'safe' country.  They are  most likely to do the same for their holidays.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect that quite a few selfish individuals came back to the UK from 'hotspots' without any isolation because they circumvented the precautions by flying in via a 'safe' country.  They are  most likely to do the same for their holidays.

Sherry had a story last year of a local publican, who had seen the holiday snaps on Facebook from a couple of his regulars, and knew when they were flying home. When they turned up next day, he threw them out for not isolating as required. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry had a story last year of a local publican, who had seen the holiday snaps on Facebook from a couple of his regulars, and knew when they were flying home. When they turned up next day, he threw them out for not isolating as required. 

.....and hopefully grassed them to the Police too (though that might not be so great for business....)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

And tomorrow HH will demonstrate his tail end, air powered melon cannon  :O

Never mind watch your six, it's your twelve you need to be wary of

Andy

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've finished the mud kitchen. Now it's onto the herb frame and a new window box. IMG-20210514-WA0000.jpeg.bd592e8417a5e81cb2bc20d18e81482d.jpeg

It will require some more wood stain next week. 

Does anyone remember when Blue Peter presenters made things the product names had to be covered with tape. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Does anyone remember when Blue Peter presenters made things the product names had to be covered with tape. 

And the box of cornflakes you had to hold on Crackerjack had Kelloggs' name scribbled out....

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

We've just booked a self catering holiday for September in Colyton, Devon.

I can walk to the northern terminus of the Seaton tramway and get a tram into town.

I can also visit Pecorama.  A place I have wanted to visit for a very long time.

I am only announcing this so Oldddudders can warn Ashcombe that I will be 'in county'.

Fortunately, the prevailing winds in the area mean that Ashcombe will be upwind.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Here's a question

Whilst sorting out mum's stuff ( a seemingly endless struggle against the tide of 50 odd years of accumulated stuff) I have found 3 packets of wig pins. Price 1s.

Apart from holding a wig on (and they look a little vicious for even that, probably hold your false teeth in at the same time)  is there any other practical or modelling use for them?

I am loathe to chuck em out as they look like they could be used for soemthing. I  just don't know what.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Here's a question

Whilst sorting out mum's stuff ( a seemingly endless struggle against the tide of 50 odd years of accumulated stuff) I have found 3 packets of wig pins. Price 1s.

Apart from holding a wig on (and they look a little vicious for even that, probably hold your false teeth in at the same time)  is there any other practical or modelling use for them?

I am loathe to chuck em out as they look like they could be used for soemthing. I  just don't know what.

Andy

If you push them into a wooden window pane and get the head of the pin resting against the glass, you can tie a length of button thread around the pin and knock the window from a distance.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you push them into a wooden window pane and get the head of the pin resting against the glass, you can tie a length of button thread around the pin and knock the window from a distance.

I see all that taxpayer's money spent on your military training didn't go to waste. :D

That's just the sort of initiative that got this country to where it is today. :imsohappy:

Andy

(Who thinks we may be getting into Viz Top Tips territory now)

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We've just booked a self catering holiday for September in Colyton, Devon.

I can walk to the northern terminus of the Seaton tramway and get a tram into town.

I can also visit Pecorama.  A place I have wanted to visit for a very long time.

I am only announcing this so Oldddudders can warn Ashcombe that I will be 'in county'.

Fortunately, the prevailing winds in the area mean that Ashcombe will be upwind.

Stayed at a B&B in Colyton a couple of years ago. From memory there were two good pubs who did evening meals. The tram was good fun with great views and we had a good time at Pecorama. The shop was rather well stocked I seem to recall, although somewhat less so once we had left.

It is a rather nice part of the world and its on our list of places to visit again. Although the "bucket list" seems to be getting longer and longer at the moment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1