Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The sun's out this morning so I'd better get all the cutting stuff out of the garage to slice up some MDF.

That ought to encourage the rain clouds to roll in...

I've just looked out of the window and even as I write this they are creeping into view from the NE!  The upper winds seem to be pulling the clouds in from that direction. However wind on the ground at Shawbury is from the west.

When parachuting from high altitude, 'spotting' the aircraft into the correct place to exit to ensure you landed in the right place was always entertaining. Although we used to jump with ram air canopies which could hide a multitude of spotting errors, you always used to work on the abilities of your (round) reserve canopy which was not particularly strong when it came to performance characteristics.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When parachuting from high altitude, 'spotting' the aircraft into the correct place to exit to ensure you landed in the right place was always entertaining. Although we used to jump with ram air canopies which could hide a multitude of spotting errors, you always used to work on the abilities of your (round) reserve canopy which was not particularly strong when it came to performance characteristics.

Bear would really, really like a go with a Wing Suit.

But as I'm sh1t scared of heights and have enough sense not to go jumpin' out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft I predict it's pretty unlikely to ever happen.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bear would really, really like a go with a Wing Suit.

But as I'm sh1t scared of heights and have enough sense not to go jumpin' out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft I predict it's pretty unlikely to ever happen.

It can be arranged Mr Bear - most likely without the winged suit though.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The sun's out this morning so I'd better get all the cutting stuff out of the garage to slice up some MDF.

That ought to encourage the rain clouds to roll in...

I've just looked out of the window and even as I write this they are creeping into view from the NE!  The upper winds seem to be pulling the clouds in from that direction. However wind on the ground at Shawbury is from the west.

image.png.6582b91c80598831adf86d753f29b094.png

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I got the cutting done, and the drilling that was required and everything was screwed together before the rain arrived.

A drop here, a splash there, then it hammered down.

Fortunately I was already back in the garage.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

9 hours ago, pH said:

This picture should bring back good memories for a few RMWebbers:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/772005/

- watch trains from a window seat in your room, or with a drink on the patio. Even being wakened by a loaded coal train passing at 3 AM isn’t too bad!

I get a similar view of the Wakefield to Goole line just remove the lake, add an embankment and some allotments. 

Think I could open a b&b? 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I get a similar view of the Wakefield to Goole line just remove the lake ...

A bit difficult - it’s the Pacific Ocean!

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Have you been to Boscastle, HH? When we stopped by some years back, they were organising a duck race in the local stream. Ducks  - like yours, but sans shades - were supplied by the organisers, and you bought a numbered duck for the race. They were all released upstream and we all sat on the bank and watched their progress. I suspect it was for charity. 

Some years later, the stream swelled and swelled and swelled with rainwater from up-country, and turned into a raging torrent that rushed through the town and did untold damage. I believe recovery has been achieved. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Have you been to Boscastle, HH?

We stayed at Boscastle for a week about 4 years ago. It was the year before we went to Mevagissey.

There were many pictures of the flood of 2004 with some places marking the high water mark in paint at the side of the houses.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They'd soon have something to complain about if the money wasn't spent. (On things like the police, roads etc.)

They would of course moan about it yes, and do - I have direct experience, I was a police civilian in my last 'real' job (as opposed to selling trains), the office manager of the Youth Justice Team (like a Young Offenders Team in the UK).  They decided to cut back on the staff due to...yes...the salary costs, all that tax money 'wasted'.  They decimated the team. I left as I had simply had enough and took early retirement as was my right at 55.  Now youth crime is rising, and Joe Public are complaining about it. Loudly.  No sh!t, Sherlock.  Life here was ever like this, 'Manx crabs'.  

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Today I managed, with the help of a very nice social services lady, to get to the bottom of why Dad was transferred to a nursing home and refused any more physiotherapy unless he paid for it. Basically, the doctor at Whitchurch hospital classified him as not wanting to return to his own home but preferring to go permanently into a care home and that I had been consulted and agreed. I have made it abundantly clear that she was, shall we say charitably, mistaken (other descriptors are available) and social services are now working on getting him reclassified and receiving physiotherapy. I live in hope. My private thoughts on the subject can probably be imagined.

I am also without Jill's presence for a week as she is now having some R&R at her sister's in Devon so I am living in a state of squalor and deprivation. Hence I have been forced to forget my lonely existence by spending time in the workshop, sustain myself with meagre rations consisting of a mixed grill accompanied by a Merlot, pass the long, empty evening hours watching some recorded rugby on TV, and retire to my bed consoling myself with a glass of Lagavulin whilst I attend RMWeb. Will I survive? 

Ta ta everyone

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I am also without Jill's presence for a week as she is now having some R&R at her sister's in Devon so I am living in a state of squalor and deprivation. Hence I have been forced to forget my lonely existence by spending time in the workshop, sustain myself with meagre rations consisting of a mixed grill accompanied by a Merlot, pass the long, empty evening hours watching some recorded rugby on TV, and retire to my bed consoling myself with a glass of Lagavulin whilst I attend RMWeb. Will I survive? 

Ta ta everyone

Dave

You poor little blid.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had some interesting times yesterday afternoon. My first task wascto muck the chicken house out and put fresh straw down. The previous straw  plus the additional material provided by said chickens, was then added to the compost bin.  I then put various implements away in the shed. That meant that I saw the railway.  That lead to a pleasant hour working out why no electrickery was being applied to two lengths of rail. Solutions were found and in one case a soldering iron was deployed.  Success, the test train ran very well and didn't derail atvanybpoint either.  I feel a bit of mojo returning.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

So a lack of modelling mojo is resolved by keeping chickens ?

Well they used to say that chicken sh1t cured baldness. Fortunately I've never needed to try that out.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Well they used to say that chicken sh1t cured baldness. Fortunately I've never needed to try that out.

Jamie

To lose one hair follicle is unfortunate. 

To lose all of them is just careless...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

So what is the effect of Brylcreem  provided in a service environment.

(Asking for a friend)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3