Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So what is the effect of Brylcreem  provided in a service environment.

(Asking for a friend)

So the beret slides on easily ?

My lad has an odd shaped head (his words) so initially his beret didn't fit too well. Even the PO gave up trying to get it to sit right. Apparently lots of soaking and then shaping has cured it (the beret, not his head).

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

On a completely different topic, the cheapo flat-pack desk I purchased to allow me to work from home, also turns out to be an ideal place to do some lunchtime modelling.

Who'd have thought ?

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

We once lived near a farm where a huge mound of chicken sh!t was delivered for fertilising purposes - and when I say huge we're talking quite a few big lorry loads from, we found out later, some battery hen factories. For a while the smell was appalling until after some months it rotted down sufficiently and the neighbourhood became tenable again. I think that the farmer was somewhat taken aback by the number of complaints that were made to the environmental health people, apparently including one from the farmer next door, and it was rumoured that his wife gave him grief over the reaction around the village. Certainly it never happened again.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

So what is the effect of Brylcreem  provided in a service environment.

(Asking for a friend)

Didn't me much good did it? And I was in the RAF for forty years.

Dave (AKA slaphead)

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

We once lived near a farm where a huge mound of chicken sh!t was delivered for fertilising purposes - and when I say huge we're talking quite a few big lorry loads from, we found out later, some battery hen factories. For a while the smell was appalling until after some months it rotted down sufficiently and the neighbourhood became tenable again. I think that the farmer was somewhat taken aback by the number of complaints that were made to the environmental health people, apparently including one from the farmer next door, and it was rumoured that his wife gave him grief over the reaction around the village. Certainly it never happened again.

Dave

There is a power station outside Eye in Suffolk that runs entirely on chicken "waste".  I believe it's dried and the ammonia (causes the smell) extracted for sale as a by-product before burning the solids in an incinerator.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

There is a power station outside Eye in Suffolk that runs entirely on chicken "waste".  I believe it's dried and the ammonia (causes the smell) extracted for sale as a by-product before burning the solids in an incinerator.

Its just occurred to me that there might be  the possibility of scaling that up by replacing the chickens with something else. I'll get back to you on that, but meantime anybody have some hippo's going spare?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We once lived near a farm where a huge mound of chicken sh!t was delivered for fertilising purposes - and when I say huge we're talking quite a few big lorry loads from, we found out later, some battery hen factories. For a while the smell was appalling  ...snip...

Dave

I recall that the chicken sh!t that I had to deal with in the US Navy did not have any smell at all! :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Although incapable of creating farm yard smells, a pair of large pigs have arrived to live at the Hippodrome.

They are an inflatable version of the 'Pass the Pigs' game, so much fun will be had when the grandchildren come visiting.

I'm looking forward to Nyda explaining the difference between a Double Snouter and a Jowler.

We'll not go into the territory of  Makin' Bacon!

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

There are some commercial chiken/Turkey farms out Ackworth/Hemsworth way. The trucks  carrying the unfortunate s for slaughtering used to pass on the walk to school. They used to stink to high heaven both as they passed and a lingering smell you were walking into. This was especially bad when it was stop start traffic into Pontefract town centre

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There are some commercial chiken/Turkey farms out Ackworth/Hemsworth way. The trucks  carrying the unfortunate s for slaughtering used to pass on the walk to school. They used to stink to high heaven both as they passed and a lingering smell you were walking into. This was especially bad when it was stop start traffic into Pontefract town centre

You went to Ackworth, Simon? Woo, posh.

• Funny 6

55 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

You went to Ackworth, Simon? Woo, posh.

No I went to The Kings school in Pontefract. We lived on the south side of Pontefract at the time the easiest way to walk was along The A639 Ackworth/Hardwick Rd depending on the section you were on then up the school drive. The trucks used the same road to get to the A1/M62. I have had a state education 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

One of my earliest memories was getting stuck in a pile of chicken sh!t at the age of about 4 or 5 in the late 1950s. We were living at the village pub with the blacksmith next door and a farm nearby. I had escaped from home and gone into the farmyard and sunk in the mire, unable to move. Dennis the blacksmith heard my cries for help and came to pull me out, leaving my boots behind which he later went back to get. No idea where Mum was . . . . . . . !!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

34 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Second day of bachelorhood coming to a close and so far I haven't put a foot wrong. Well, no one's told me I've been wrong anyway.......

G'night each

Dave 

Don't worry Dave the missis will be saving them for her return at which point you will faced with a whole barrage of 'helpful advice' about what you should have been doing in her absence.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Second day of bachelorhood coming to a close and so far I haven't put a foot wrong. Well, no one's told me I've been wrong anyway.......

G'night each

Dave 

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry Dave the missis will be saving them for her return at which point you will faced with a whole barrage of 'helpful advice' about what you should have been doing in her absence.

When Beth was away the kids used to ask me what the score was on her return. This related to the number of sins of commission  and omission that were pointed out to me during the 20 yard jouney from her car to the front door.  Par was 3, so i would, very occasionally be able to report a birdie or an eagle, usually it was a 6 or 7.  I never did work out the proper way of reporting a clean sheet. That miraculous occurrence  did happen  once. A hole in one didn't sound right.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

The weather is not being helpful again to day. 

A wallowing I will not!

Nyda's primary laptop is playing up and I've spent a couple of hours trying to get the wireless connection to re establish itself, but failed miserably despite following all the various instructions plus internet suggestions.

Trying to download a new driver for the wireless connection and then transferring it via a memory stick would work, except once you get to the website and click on available downloads, it goes into an endless spool!

If I can find a USB to USB cable I'll try and connect the laptop directly into the router and see if I can get any luck that way.

I suppose I could always drop kick the laptop into the garden and leave it there to sulk.  I'll let it in once it's fixed itself:laugh_mini:.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

f I can find a USB to USB cable I'll try and connect the laptop directly into the router and see if I can get any luck that way.

If the laptop has an Ethernet socket use that to connect to the router. Aditi’s aged but otherwise ok Sony laptop occasionally won’t complete an update wirelessly. Just plugging it in via Ethernet works fine. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If the laptop has an Ethernet socket use that to connect to the router. Aditi’s aged but otherwise ok Sony laptop occasionally won’t complete an update wirelessly. Just plugging it in via Ethernet works fine. 
Tony

No it doesn't.  I've tried connecting it directly to the router using a USB cable but that doesn't work either.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No it doesn't.  I've tried connecting it directly to the router using a USB cable but that doesn't work either.

Is it a Windows PC or a Mac?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a SSD laptop running Windows 10.

All USB or HDMI connections.

The battery is built in so cannot be removed. There is no CD drive built in

I've never liked it.

Mind you I always think that anything after Windows 3.1 is too clever for it's own good.

Having a physical disk with the drivers on that you could load up and reinstall is much better than downloading.

Of course downloading is a lot quicker:  But you've got to be able to get the damn thing on line in order to do that.

It will be off to the computer man in Newport on Monday and he can sort it out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

t will be off to the computer man in Newport on Monday and he can sort it out.

At least the computer man should have a usb to Ethernet adapter so he can sort everything. I thought I was going to need one. I have a nice MacBook Pro that used to belong to Matthew. I have intended for ages to make it useable again and decided this morning to sort it out. It surprised me that it doesn’t have a wired network and I thought I would need an adapter from the usb but I have managed to get it to connect to our WiFi. Now just about to play with the Unix terminal interface if using the easy password recovery method  doesn’t work. Having tea first though. 
Tony

• Like 7