Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Hope you are taking it to Newport Shropshire and not Newport South Wales or Newport Isle of Wight.

Might be a bit far from a certain muddy hollow

Or the very little known Newport, near Fishguard!

I used to live in Whitchurch (Cardiff) and there is a Whitchurch in Shropshire not too far from me  (closer to Dave).  I live quite close to Wellington, but not the  Somerset variant.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's a SSD laptop running Windows 10.

All USB or HDMI connections.

The battery is built in so cannot be removed. There is no CD drive built in

I've never liked it.

Mind you I always think that anything after Windows 3.1 is too clever for it's own good.

Having a physical disk with the drivers on that you could load up and reinstall is much better than downloading.

Of course downloading is a lot quicker:  But you've got to be able to get the damn thing on line in order to do that.

It will be off to the computer man in Newport on Monday and he can sort it out.

I bought a very cheap WiFi USB adapter ( I think it was about £10). It sorted out the problems we were having with the inbuilt WiFi adapter in Julies laptop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

I bought a very cheap WiFi USB adapter ( I think it was about £10). It sorted out the problems we were having with the inbuilt WiFi adapter in Julies laptop.

It would appear that the MacBook (mid 2014)I have been restoring to life this afternoon is a bit obsolete already but at least the manual was on Apples website. I really wanted a (wired) network adapter but then had to delve into the mysterious world of Mac accessories. Like when is a Thunderbolt port not a Thunderbolt port. The Mac would connect to WiFi but would not send emails. A lot of people seemed to have that problem (I Googled) with BT but I sorted it out. Glueing and painting toy trains and cars is much more relaxing!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Or the very little known Newport, near Fishguard!

I used to live in Whitchurch (Cardiff) and there is a Whitchurch in Shropshire not too far from me  (closer to Dave).  I live quite close to Wellington, but not the  Somerset variant.

There are actually eleven "Newports" in England plus two each in Wales, Scotland and the Irish Republic. Canada has eight and the USA, forty.  I guess when someone asks you where you're from, you have to be quite specific?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It can lead to mishaps places having the same name 

Many years ago, not long after we moved to Reading, Berks, we received a letter from a former Polish colleague of my wife. It had taken a couple of months to arrive and was overstamped "Not Reading PA". The sender had forgotten to add "Wielka Brytania" to the address.

Even similar names can lead to confusion. For Wagner's first production of The Ring of the Neibelung at his purpose-built theatre in Bayreuth, the dragon Fafner was made by an English firm of theatrical prop makers. It was shipped in pieces. At the first performance, it appeared on stage without a neck, that part having been shipped to Beirut in error.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

It can lead to mishaps places having the same name 

Indeed, in Wales there was the incident about 30 years ago, when the 999 service had been centralised but obviously before all addresses were logged in a computerised system.  A pub/hotel in Newport (Pembs) phoned for the fire brigade as they had a small fire in their kitchen.  Engines were dispatched, to Newport (Gwent) and the hotel was almost destroyed.  I seem to remember the owner sued the fire brigade but can't remember if he won.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

When we were posted back to the UK from Germany, a friend of mine went to live in Gillingham in Dorset. Some time later his wife received a phone call from a relative who was coming to stay for a while asking for directions to their new house as she couldn't find it although she was in Gillingham. The trouble was soon narrowed down to the fact that the Gillingham she was in was actually the one in Kent.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... Mind you I always think that anything after Windows 3.1 is too clever for it's own good. ...snip...

I had Windows 3.11 for Workgroups for a while; it was almost impossible to crash it.

My favorite was/still is XP Pro. I bought a used laptop from an IT type and it came with all of his original XP Pro disks not to mention a carrying case with more programs, most of which I had never heard of. I kept the XP pro stuff as I want to build an XP machine so I can use some hardware that I have that works beautifully but is too old to have updated drivers.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

My euphoria at being left to my own devices for a week was short lived as I was informed last night by 'phone that there are some gardening jobs and a couple of household tasks that I am detailed to attend to. Looking out of the window I can also see that the gales and rain of the last couple of days have left the front path and garden looking like the aftermath of a blizzard as the blossom has been stripped from the cherry tree and is lying in drifts. Added to the requirement for attendance at the shops to lay in supplies pending the resumption of normal life on Tuesday, that's today taken care of. Then, of course, we have the preparations for the arrival of both sons plus tribes for the bank holiday to look forward to so I can see the cobwebs gathering in the workshop. Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

My euphoria at being left to my own devices for a week was short lived as I was informed last night by 'phone....

Like a drone strike from a clear blue sky!

Who'd a seem it coming?

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just seen that an email has arrived from Jill. 

INCOMING!!!

I hate to say it but I did say you wouldn't be left unsupervised for long.

You know what they (women) say - idle hands etc.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Today I have to swop all the beds in the spare bedrooms around....again.

Double bed into the room where there were two single beds and the two singles into the room previously occupied by the double.

Oh, and do some touching up of the paintwork as this operation is probably going to leave a few small scars.

• Friendly/supportive 13

5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Double bed into the room where there were two single beds and the two singles into the room previously occupied by the double.

Oh, and do some touching up of the paintwork as this operation is probably going to leave a few small scars.

Stop moaning HH. Its very unseemly. What would you rather be doing - sitting front of telly watching wales lose (again) - wallowing in the mud hole in the back garden   or even attempting some modelling.

It is the good Mrs HH's job to stop you getting up to mischief. As I stated above -idle hands are there to be used.

Of out now with The Hound where I can't be told what to do. Unfortunately its only for a hour.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted.

Dave

Bear has come to the conclusion that being Commander-In-Chief of his very own Empire does have significant advantages at times.....

32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It sounds to Bear that Big H would benefit from a double bed that converts into two singles, and two single beds that convert into a double.  However, that would entail significant expenditure of modelling (or cake) tokens.

Alternatively, promote yourself above the rank of SWMBO.  Good luck...

• Funny 12

11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

When we were posted back to the UK from Germany, a friend of mine went to live in Gillingham in Dorset. Some time later his wife received a phone call from a relative who was coming to stay for a while asking for directions to their new house as she couldn't find it although she was in Gillingham. The trouble was soon narrowed down to the fact that the Gillingham she was in was actually the one in Kent.

Dave

One Wednesday afternoon, I was approached by a bunch of Skaters at Waterloo, who wanted to watch a soccer game at Priestfield Stadium  (Gillingham Kent).  So I pointed at the platform indicator, showing a train to Gillingham (Dorset).  Off they trotted, not knowing they had asked a Scummer.  Bill

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Stop moaning HH. Its very unseemly. What would you rather be doing - sitting front of telly watching wales lose (again) - wallowing in the mud hole in the back garden   or even attempting some modelling.

It is the good Mrs HH's job to stop you getting up to mischief. As I stated above -idle hands are there to be used.

Of out now with The Hound where I can't be told what to do. Unfortunately its only for a hour.

I shall be wallowing in mud this afternoon as the bottom of the back fence, which was MH(R) before it was gentrified, all needs weeding out prior to more planting.

Friends asked me to water their garden whilst they were away (it got extended by nearly a week during their initial absence).  It hasn't been necessary as it's rained quite hard here every day so far, as evidenced by my earlier posts on woodworking outside.

So, once I am hunkered down with a kneeling pad and a bucket and trowel, I can safely say that the skies will open once more.

I cut some mahogany this morning for another little job I have lined up.  I don't know what it is but the smell of the sawdust is fantastic.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

One Wednesday afternoon, I was approached by a bunch of Skaters at Waterloo, who wanted to watch a soccer game at Priestfield Stadium  (Gillingham Kent).  So I pointed at the platform indicator, showing a train to Gillingham (Dorset).  Off they trotted, not knowing they had asked a Scummer.  Bill

Good to see your Christian beliefs feeding through into everyday life!

• Agree 8
  • Funny 1