Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Dave Hunt said:

Deeeelightful! I'm envious.

Dave

Cheers Dave.  It's nice just to play trains sometimes.  Three friends visited, really nice afternoon, one is new to live steam but he gained a lot of confidence.  The line has severe gradients (some are intentional, some less so....) so you have to drive properly. 

711603311_20210529_1355561.jpg.cba8eb3669d8fe56b5f5924d8af0bfb6.jpg

• Like 16

On 29/05/2021 at 15:08, New Haven Neil said:

Today we have been mostly....

509218249_20210529_1417141.jpg.68fed8ab438d4f458863e2a1b00e38e0.jpg

Is that an Aster engine Neil? I’ve heard they are much much easier to use than a BL mogul. 

I saw in your next post what I think is a Roundhouse Lady Anne? I did give some thought to ordering the series of kits to build a Roundhouse Billy, but decided against it as they aren’t going to stock them for another 6 months.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've obviously either woken up in some other dimension or been transported to a far-off place as by my reckoning it is a ban cauli day weekend but the sun is shining and it's warm with just a gentle breeze! As luck would have it we are indulging in the first family get-together complete with BBQ for well over a year so my amazement is unlimited. Added to that, I managed to fool the bear and hippo gang with dummy cardboard cakes so grandad's chocolate cake is safe and well and waiting to be consumed this afternoon by the marauding horde grandchildren. Prior to that, Jill has promised them that Grandad will show them his trains running so I'll even get to spend some time in the shed.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

In order to nullify the current good weather and persuade the multitude of emmets visiting the county to bog off home again, I intend to wash the car this morning.

I hasten to add that is my intention, depending upon a higher authority it may not actually happen.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A work colleague of mine used to say that anyone who washes the car without being instructed to do so by a higher authority, AKA SWMBO, is right up there, in his opinion, with those who jump out of fully serviceable aeroplanes without a really pressing reason.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

A work colleague of mine used to say that anyone who washes the car without being instructed to do so by a higher authority, AKA SWMBO, is right up there, in his opinion, with those who jump out of fully serviceable aeroplanes without a really pressing reason.

Dave

I will reiterate that if you had flown with the pilots I have, (including some from Crab Air) being able getting out of the aircraft at the earliest opportunity and not have to endure the sometimes  almost controlled crash at the end of the flight is merciful release.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Added to that, I managed to fool the bear and hippo gang with dummy cardboard cakes so grandad's chocolate cake is safe and well .....

....As if a couple of pro's like us could be fooled by cardboard.....

What the Sqdn. Ldr doesn't realise is that Bear & Hippo have swapped the real choccy cake for one topped with Ex-Lax.  Enjoy.....

:rofl:

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

....As if a couple of pro's like us could be fooled by cardboard.....

What the Sqdn. Ldr doesn't realise is that Bear & Hippo have swapped the real choccy cake for one topped with Ex-Lax.  Enjoy.....

:rofl:

Yeah, and how do we get in and out undetected?

You'll never know!

Up periscope Mr Bear....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I will reiterate that if you had flown with the pilots I have, (including some from Crab Air) being able getting out of the aircraft at the earliest opportunity and not have to endure the sometimes  almost controlled crash at the end of the flight is merciful release.

You've flown with some of the good ones then!

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Pity but my trains in the garden don't breath smoke and steam, this one just needs the batteries charging:

CaledoniaOnTheSpirals.jpg.109491c43bb64d26031682aee531fa04.jpg

Keith

Live steam is ok on high days and holidays, but I used to find that it was one of my B/E locos (Simplex or Ruston) that was responsible for the daily pick up goods.

Just switch on and off you go!

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My daughter and  two grandchildren arrive today and will spend most of their half term holiday with us.

This morning will be taken up with last minute cleaning and tidying duties and getting all the garden toys ready for use.

I may also be involved in bread and scone making throughout the week.

I might have to move a comfy chair and a duvet out into the garage or workshop so I can make a fighting withdrawal if required.

As is required of a bank holiday Monday, it's grey and blustery outside, with a hint of rain in the air.

So different from yesterday afternoon when were were able to sit out in comfort and partake of a few glasses of Pimms or cider. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday's BBQ went well but has left me exhausted. No. 2 son and DiL leave today for an undisclosed destination to celebrate their 20th anniversary, leaving granddaughter with us while No. 1 son and tribe, who are staying in Dad's house overnight, go back to Derbyshire this evening. Then tomorrow Jill, granddaughter and I meet up with No.2 son and DiL at Attingham Park before they come back here until Wednesday when normal service resumes. It's delightful to see them all after such a long hiatus but I'm afraid that my stamina isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately I don't have HH's option of a retreat to the workshop as such a thing has been specifically banned in routine orders.

Our next social event isn't until the end of next month when we are supposed to be going to London for a reunion lunch at the RAF Club, providing, of course, that the government's road map doesn't run into road closures. We shall see.

And now back to the fray with the small pink terrorists. Wish me luck.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 15

Yesterday's garden gathering went well. 

"The garden looked pretty" is the most important comment of the day from Mrs SM42. 

I claim that as a win

Just nursing a bit of a sore head now after the vodka. 

Those 16tonners will have to wait.

Can't have wonky wagons.

Fortunately today's shopping trip for bathroom accutremata has been called off. :dance_mini:

Just need to tidy up outside now, but on the bright side there is leftover cake :yahoo:

Andy

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Attingham Park?

Why we are also going to AP tomorrow morning for a walk around.  We have a 10-1030 arrival slot.

You will know if you've arrived after us as there will be a significant mud trail typical of a troop of small tanks transiting through a freshly ploughed field.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Attingham Park?

Why we are also going to AP tomorrow morning for a walk around.  We have a 10-1030 arrival slot.

You will know if you've arrived after us as there will be a significant mud trail typical of a troop of small tanks transiting through a freshly ploughed field.

And no doubt another tribe of small pink terrorists. 

Here some more milestones have been achieved. The 2 litres of MEK have arrived safely and the ironing has been done.  Some chocolate brownies  that have sweet potato as an ingredient are in the oven. Whether or not my skills as a cake quality controller will be called into action has still to be decided by higher authorities.

However with the MEK and Phosphoric acid much modelling could be done.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And no doubt another tribe of small pink terrorists. 

Here some more milestones have been achieved. The 2 litres of MEK have arrived safely and the ironing has been done.  Some chocolate brownies  that have sweet potato as an ingredient are in the oven. Whether or not my skills as a cake quality controller will be called into action has still to be decided by higher authorities.

However with the MEK and Phosphoric acid much modelling could be done.

Jamie

Chocolate brownies with sweet potato, MEK and phosphoric acid?

I'm sure that will give a rear end burn that would put a Vindaloo to shame

I'll pass on those, but thanks anyway.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

And now back to the fray with the small pink terrorists. Wish me luck.

Pink Terrorists?  Scarier than the dreaded Cake Mould....

:scared:

24 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Just need to tidy up outside now, but on the bright side there is leftover cake :yahoo:

"Leftover?"

Have, or have not.  There is no in-between.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, polybear said:

one topped with Ex-Lax.

That does remind me of one the more spectacular events from my time as a science teacher when one teenager was so keen to escape my science lesson he took a “friends” advice and swallowed a considerable amount of Ex-Lax.

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2021 at 22:36, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Is that an Aster engine Neil? I’ve heard they are much much easier to use than a BL mogul. 

I saw in your next post what I think is a Roundhouse Lady Anne? I did give some thought to ordering the series of kits to build a Roundhouse Billy, but decided against it as they aren’t going to stock them for another 6 months.

Hi Douglas - no, the Isle of Man 2-4-0T is a UK Accucraft model.  One of several versions, I forget how many over the years.  The little tank is a Lady Anne yes, Harry's new loco having only its third run.  Ran like Swiss clockwork, it's a Roundhouse.  I have steam locos by Beck,  Roundhouse, Accucraft and Regner, these are all in a different league to an old BL Mogul, very easy to run, will pull forever, never run out of steam.  The RH locos can run for up to 40 minutes once you get the gas firing right, and they're well run in.  All radio controlled, a manual loco wouldn't work on my line with steep gradients.  Some have tried.....need to be younger and fitter than most of my mates to catch them!

P1110266-2.jpg.f2d218fb1d1c22c0aeb7c059844ca0b5.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, polybear said:

"Leftover?"

Have, or have not.  There is no in-between.....

I agree, however we had guests and I was not allowed to bury my face in the cake .

I had to share and be polite.

There is no leftover now though

Andy

• Like 8
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I agree, however we had guests and I was not allowed to bury my face in the cake .

I had to share and be polite.

There is no leftover now though

Andy

If we have cake and visitors, I try and hide the cake in my mouth until they've gone.

One swallow does not a summer (pudding) make!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11