Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If we have cake and visitors, I try and hide the cake in my mouth until they've gone.

One swallow does not a summer (pudding) make!

Good plan, but the visitors brought the cake with them, so they would probably realise that some dastardly plan was in operation if it went missing 

Andy

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Lots of RMWebbers visiting Attingham on Tuesday it would seem as I will be volunteering in the afternoon trying to keep the hordes under control :help:

Just point them to the exit, whispering 'free cake that way'.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That does remind me of one the more spectacular events from my time as a science teacher when one teenager was so keen to escape my science lesson he took a “friends” advice and swallowed a considerable amount of Ex-Lax.

Were you really that scary? :jester:

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

49 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Our arrival time at Attingham tomorrow is 1200 - 1230. Where will you be stationed Coastalview? I'd like to say hello.

Dave

I start at 1330 and will be on (I think) either the entrance or exit to the mansion basement which you get to through the rear courtyard. 

Be good to put a face to an avatar :)

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Were you really that scary? :jester:

Not at all. Some  ROSLA generation kids just resented being in school. The child in question was probably convinced if he exhibited stomach pains he would be excused the lesson. When nothing happened his friends suggested more Exlax and I believe he took rather a lot. Between asking to go , he had just enough time to get to the laboratory but not the lavatory door. His “friends” thought it was hilarious. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

I start at 1330 and will be on (I think) either the entrance or exit to the mansion basement which you get to through the rear courtyard. 

Be good to put a face to an avatar :)

Chris

Chris,

I'll try to call in on you. 

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Chris,

I'll try to call in on you. 

Dave

Don't worry, I won't call by and embarrass you.

Dave is easily identified;

He is quite short with a luxurious ginger Jimmy Edwards style moustache.  He will inevitably be wearing his trademark sheepskin flying jacket complete with the wired white silk scarf.

If you've got a spare 90 minutes, just mention the words 'Wizard Prang' but make sure you have a comfy seat to hand

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Having a bit of a clearout and came across this picture of the P&O Chitral:

Chitral-01.jpg.a835d8e63ee53edacceb366d9a4f749b.jpg

all 14,000 tons of her which transported me from Southampton to Hong Kong in August 1966 at the start of my nearly 4 year assignment to the Far East.

My cabin was on the main deck about 2/3rds of the way down the ship, actually had a window to my cabin, no porthole for me!!

Keith

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Don't worry, I won't call by and embarrass you.

Dave is easily identified;

He is quite short with a luxurious ginger Jimmy Edwards style moustache.  He will inevitably be wearing his trademark sheepskin flying jacket complete with the wired white silk scarf.

If you've got a spare 90 minutes, just mention the words 'Wizard Prang' but make sure you have a comfy seat to hand

What about the leather flying helmet?

I'll be feeling short changed.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, I'll bring it with me when I land my Sopwith Camel in front of the mansion (after having strafed the HH party).

Dave

PS, if you see someone quite tall wearing a Stetson and black jeans, ask him if he knows me.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

P&O

When we went on our first cruise in 2012 the person greeting us as we boarded asked if we had sailed with them before. Aditi said yes, in 1959 from Bombay to Tilbury. We were told their records didn’t go back that far. 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Thought that was gonna be me fur a secon’ der!

I was amazed at the range of different hats produced by Stetson.

Back from AP.

We saw Dave parking up outside the Mansion:

image.png.0e76a1af7767e1d18ad552cf29b94eb8.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

18 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Thought that was gonna be me fur a secon’ der!

Why, when reading this, do I hear an “Eccles” voice?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

A jolly fine time was had at Attingham Park although there was no sign of the Muddy Hollow gang. I had a nice chat with Coastalview, who recognised me straight away by the row of medals I wore in recognition of leading the successful hippo wrangling expedition on the Limpopo in '98 with my old mucker Major Dennis Bloodnock. 

Have a good night/day/somewhere in between depending on which part of the globe you currently inhabit.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I got up early to have a nose around RMWeb, but within a few minutes of opening up my PC I can hear rumblings from upstairs.

That'll be the grandchildren's stomachs demanding breakfast.

With luck the bananas I deployed a little earlier will keep them occupied for a few more minutes.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Chin up, HH, you may, like us, soon return to normality at the Muddy Hollow. The last of our visitors depart today but unlike the exhortations of the country code, as well as footprints they are leaving behind a trail of near devastation (or so it appears to my jaundiced morning eye). How STPs cause so much chaos in such a short time is a source of mystery. The likelihood of any modelling time in the near future is unfortunately akin to the longevity of snowballs in the Sahara or cake in the vicinity of bears and hippos.

A little bird from another thread tells me that our exiled correspondent from the Charente and his good lady celebrate 42 years of wedded bliss today so congrats to Jamie.

TTFN people.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Unreported earlier was the demise of our washing machine on Monday morning.  It's something to do with the electronics side of life and the decision was made to get a new one instead.  the rational behind this decision being that by the time we've called out a service engineer with the various call out charges, plus the cost of the parts to repair machine, we are quite close to the cost of a new one.

The new machine arrives this afternoon

I declined the offer of the old machine to be disposed of, at a fee naturally, as I will strip the old one of reusable components:  The stainless drum will make a very nice incinerator/ fire pit for the garden.  The motor will go on to power a home made woodworking machine and the case will be a valuable supply of steel sheet.  The concrete  balancing weights will go to my pile of hardcore for the base of replacement summerhouse/storeshed at the top of the garden. There are other bits that will make their way into various spares boxes. 

I hate throwing things away.

PS.  I had nothing to do with Iran's largest naval vessel the 'Kharg' which has sunk following a fire.  I suspect either the USA or Israel will get the blame fairly shortly.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1