Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  Yes indeed it's 42 years since I met my fate at the altar, and 43 since I set off on my first trip across the pond to look at big yellow trains, and other things. That journey is being chronicled on my American photos thread.   Something must have happened as my modelling mojo seems to have returned and the next building carcass has now been cut out and the glue is drying whilst I have a cup of coffee in peace and quiet as Beth has gone to her French class.   No outbreak of SPT's around here but no doubt those days will arrive before too long. I like HH's method of disposal of the washer.  I agree totally.  I once got the princely sum of £32 for a washer and a dryer that I had separated into their component metals.    Our first swimming pool was not wasted when the liner went.  The liner is now  a mat under the new pool to protect the new liner.  The plastic panels that made up the sides have become compost bins, 3 of which are nicely full, and some sheet steel pieces are very good as weights in all sorts of places.  One may soon be cut up to help repair a garden bench.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

who recognised me straight away by the row of medals I wore in recognition of leading the successful hippo wrangling expedition on the Limpopo in '98 with my old mucker Major Dennis Bloodnock. 

He did however forget the leather flying helmet, it was therefore fortunate that I noticed the medals.......

Good to put a face to an avatar and hopefully catch up soon.

Edited by coastalview
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

suspect either the USA or Israel will get the blame fairly shortly.

Do you think they will be claiming on the guarantee? It was made in England.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

It seems that TNMs are heavily in to recycling, which in my opinion comes into George Orwell's 'good thing' category. A few years ago I dismantled a dead CD player and so far the motor unit has been incorporated into a friend's model railway turntable, the steel sheet carcase has to date provided the material for two sets of locomotive frames, the acrylic sheet over the front display panel has produced window glazing for several buildings, and the on/off switch is part of a layout control panel.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It seems that TNMs are heavily in to recycling, which in my opinion comes into George Orwell's 'good thing' category. A few years ago I dismantled a dead CD player and so far the motor unit has been incorporated into a friend's model railway turntable, the steel sheet carcase has to date provided the material for two sets of locomotive frames, the acrylic sheet over the front display panel has produced window glazing for several buildings, and the on/off switch is part of a layout control panel.

Dave

The laser unit of course has been adapted to shoot down marauding flying machines of the Red Baron....or maybe Puppers?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The laser unit of course has been adapted to shoot down........or maybe Puppers?

:O  That'd be a "Blue on Blue"......

:nono:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The laser unit of course has been adapted to shoot down marauding flying machines of the Red Baron....or maybe Puppers?

Shhh, don't give the game away. So far the UPCS* hasn't heard about the latest AA defences.

*Ursine & Pachyderm Cake Stealers

1 hour ago, polybear said:

:O  That'd be a "Blue on Blue"......

:nono:

Oh, too late.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Having completely stripped the old washing machine down yesterday, I now have a much greater understanding of the mechanical side of front loading machines.  Especially all the 'internals'!

The new machine was installed, my only criticism being the electrical connection was very short in comparison to the old machine.  I have had to connect it to the mains socket by means of a short extension cable:  Not ideal, but it works.

The calm from around the rest of the Hippodrome indicates that all those still a bed are sleeping, which bodes well for a bit more peace and quiet, but that cannot last much longer as the urge to feed will take priority.

I have been told I'm getting a set of  three Japanese saws for my birthday/father's day/christmas present (for the next few years or so).

Although a good workman should never blame his tools, there does come a point at which quality does make a difference.  Although I am capable of passable cuts with my current saws, I would like to have a set exclusive for what might be called cabinet making rather than using the same set I use for carpentry. 

I already have sets of  screwdrivers and needle files which are restricted use, so extending that principle makes sense.

Of course this will require a reworking of the storage in the garage to a far superior system to the various shelves, boxes and hooks on the wall currently in use.

Peace has just finished..........

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

It's my eldest lad's birthday today. He's 27, but with his autism he's got a learning age much lower.

So we get a variety of cards sent to him, mostly train related.

But we received this abomination from someone,  a Moonpig creation.

1361654717_20210603_1302592.jpg.99c0dafa75cac27c6474314b771b9e56.jpg

I don't know where to start with what's wrong, so I post it here for your enjoyment. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

I take it that it isn't supposed to be out of focus and not on the rails then? Just asking as modern 'art' can be difficult to comprehend unless you have the instructions.

Dave

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I take it that it isn't supposed to be out of focus and not on the rails then? Just asking as modern 'art' can be difficult to comprehend unless you have the instructions.

Or are the artist....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

On 02/05/2021 at 02:54, New Haven Neil said:

@Florence Locomotive Works. I'd love to see some photos of that Corliss valve engine, Douglas, if possible pretty please!

Sorry Neil, I completely forgot about this!

I didn’t get any decent photos but here is a video.

Douglas

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

It's my eldest lad's birthday today. He's 27, but with his autism he's got a learning age much lower.

So we get a variety of cards sent to him, mostly train related.

But we received this abomination from someone,  a Moonpig creation.

1361654717_20210603_1302592.jpg.99c0dafa75cac27c6474314b771b9e56.jpg

I don't know where to start with what's wrong, so I post it here for your enjoyment. 

Is it a Midland Railway Loco?  The numbers too long for anything off the GWR.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is it a Midland Railway Loco?  The numbers too long for anything off the GWR.

As Neddy Seagoon would say, "Hand back your OBE." The same criteria applied to both Midland and GWR locomotives as neither had more than four figure numbers.

Tut, tut.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of the story (possibly apocryphal but no matter) that during the Cold War the CIA hatched a plan to distribute huge amounts of extra large condoms labelled 'For US Forces personnel. Size small/medium' to soviet countries in order to lower morale there. Even for the CIA it was a bit too far out of left field though and as far as I know it never happened.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

As I remember the story, a company receives an order from Russia for condoms that are 6" across and 18" long and asks a government department what to do.  The goverment says to fill the order but label them "medium".

Edited by BR60103
  • Funny 10