Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is anyone planning to break anything today?

Moonlighted at another church as we're not having communion services yet and  I am not doing Facebook religion.  A walk round Greenwich Park then home.  Some work on Blindheim in the garage but it was really too hot.  I've glued down some ply bases to which I'll screw Peco points.  Nothing broken today, but I have welded two of my Peco bases at some time - so a visit to Ian Allen tomorrow lunchtime.

I'm using Peco base, motor, switch as a unit but need to lift them off the baseboard because the next bit of kit is a Scalefour angle crank.

Question guys.  I want to purchase flight cases for my recent Spur Null acquisitions, went on line and one option was Maplin  from whom I purchased flight cases when they were a proper store.  Confused.   Do Maplin exist on line?  Is it the same quality as in the past?  Or is this a scam?

Waterloo tomorrow and on line training in the evening, so I'm missing for about 24 hours.

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The mods were all to do with the electronic side, and when you have a navigation system that tells the pilot it is at point A when in fact he is probably nearer point R, is a recipe for disaster. I think it was all down to buying the airframes, but not the electronic side so the aircraft were not flying to it's design capability. Typical of the MoD procurement system.

The fact that two senior officers from the RAF were quite happy to blame pilots Jonathan Tapper and David Cook  for 'negligence to a gross degree' as the cause rather than get to the root of the problem only sums up my opinion of many senior officers from all three services.  Fortunately, after many years, the 2011 inquiry removed that slur on their memories.

I lost a friend, Maj Tony Hornby, that day.

ISTR a documentary about the crash (Panorama/World in Action?) some years ago.  I believe the father of one of the pilots was an (ex?) BA Captain, possibly Concorde.  He mentioned that his son discussed with (or possibly even showed) him the Aircrew Manual, specifically the section which deals with "Exceptions, Limitations and Advice to User"  (i.e. some pretty important stuff that Aircrew should take special note of).  It read:

"To Be Advised".

Hmmm.....

Also, there was a Chinook Flypast at the (Memorial?) Service.  The Aircrew later reported the Nav system was five miles out over the flight.

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've had several Wocca rides in the Falklands, the most exhilarating bits being sitting on the lowered tail ramp with my feet dangling over the edge whilst the guys in the front went steeplechasing at about thirty feet - I was secured to the aeroplane by what is known as a monkey strop by the way so it wasn't actually as raving dangerous as it sounds.

Perhaps not, just plain barking mad..........:scared:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wonder if they should try doing that to Horton?

Well......... attractions at Formby include the beach and the red squirrel sanctuary whereas Horton has, erm, er, er, ah, yes - the Muddy Hollow! Better get the Horton Tourism Board alerted for a possible grockle invasion.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t really know much about the coast around Formby and in my ignorance for some reason thought until I looked it up today that it was part of Liverpool. 

That could get you into serious trouble with some of the more established Formbyites :nono:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

ISTR a documentary about the crash (Panorama/World in Action?) some years ago.  I believe the father of one of the pilots was an (ex?) BA Captain, possibly Concorde.  He mentioned that his son discussed with (or possibly even showed) him the Aircrew Manual, specifically the section which deals with "Exceptions, Limitations and Advice to User"  (i.e. some pretty important stuff that Aircrew should take special note of).  It read:

"To Be Advised".

Hmmm.....

Also, there was a Chinook Flypast at the (Memorial?) Service.  The Aircrew later reported the Nav system was five miles out over the flight.

That's as maybe but none of it excuses bad airmanship in flying below safety height in IMC. Safety height calculation takes into account potential navigation errors greater than five miles and the lack of any specific exceptions, limitations and advice to users in the aircrew manual (which is not unheard of with other aircraft as it deals with items not covered elsewhere in the manual of which there may be none in a newly published one) is not something that should cause alarm. Additionally, if the snags with the nav system were known to the crews the result should have been greater circumspection and more care with basic airmanship, not flying blindly into high ground.

As I stated earlier, though, I don't want to start an argument in this forum so I'll leave it there.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bbishop said:

Question guys.  I want to purchase flight cases for my recent Spur Null acquisitions, went on line and one option was Maplin  from whom I purchased flight cases when they were a proper store.  Confused.   Do Maplin exist on line?  Is it the same quality as in the past?  Or is this a scam?

After Maplins went into receivership they were bought out by another company who are now trading on line under the Maplins brand.

The on line reviews are in the most, very complimentary.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just been informed by high command that today marks the beginning of the next round of sensible eating and more exercise.

Since there are only two of us in the house, this directive appeared to be fired off in my direction, however I hope it was somebody else talking to themselves.

If not, I must relocate my stash of cake quickly...........................

The saddle bag of my bike might be a sound choice.

The WMR (War Maintenance Reserve) will remain under lock and key in the workshop

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a blast from the past.

Does anyone else remember the board game Dover Patrol?

image.png.03de1faff385b442da48111973986ee6.png

There were also aviation and ground versions, and another called Tri Tactics which incorporated all three.

We had Tri Tactics and my brother used to cheat so that he always beat me that's my story andvI'm sticking to it. He was 4 yrs older than me and wasn't very nice to me till I grew taller than him and was able to pat him on his head. That still annoys him.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

My little brother is 10 years younger than me and almost 10 inches taller..

He will forever ..

be my LITTLE brother..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I remember that from childhood but can't recall where from; it may have been in a school common room.  The air version was Aviation, which was also there.  On the same theme I have Dennis Wheatley's "Invasion" game from 1938.  I was given it about 40 years ago by a mate, but have never played it.  It's due to go up for sale.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a blast from the past.

There were also aviation and ground versions, and another called Tri Tactics which incorporated all three.

I think the Army version was L'Attaque. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just been informed by high command that today marks the beginning of the next round of sensible eating and more exercise.

Since there are only two of us in the house, this directive appeared to be fired off in my direction, however I hope it was somebody else talking to themselves.

If not, I must relocate my stash of cake quickly...........................

My cupboard is at your disposal.  It'll be perfectly safe there, honest.....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

A bit of history surrounding the picture of the sign I posted earlier.

The sign was on the eastern gate of the occupational crossing at Gelynis Farm, Morganstown, just north of Cardiff.

It was about 200 yards south of Pentyrch Crossing, which was where the Melingriffith tin plate works railway used to cross the TVR main line, on the level at about 45 degrees.

Gelynis Farm was owned by the Bale family, and I was friendly with their son Andrew, and had commented on the sign as, in the 70s, signs like this were increasingly rare.

One morning AB came into school and told me that the old wooden fencing and gates had been removed and had been replaced by new wire fencing and galvanised steel gates.  The old  timber had been dumped in their field and burned:  The sign was still in the remains of the fire.

Needless to say, a visit to the farm that afternoon saw the recovery of the sign to a safe place, and it has since travelled around with me for many years.

One day, I may even manage to get it put up on display!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Wasn't the tri-service game the one where the winner was the first to get an award in the Queen's birthday honours list?

Dave

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Unable to get an award in any of the Queens honours and awards, I decided to commiserate with myself and  have just ordered some wagons to increase my fleet of goods rolling stock.

Whether this was a wise move remains to be seen.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

On the South Eastern Division of BR, the OBE was awarded by default to that officer who had unwisely managed to be in the Divisional Office on a Friday afternoon, when he (there were no shes in those days at officer level) would be certain to be beseeched by senior staff from the train planning function, with a weekend dilemma involving planned engineering works. This might be a shortage of locos or crews, or some cockup in the delineation of a possession such that the paper train could not run. The wisdom of Solomon was required to sort out the art of the possible. If it had been easy, the matter would not have been raised, of course. OBE = the Only Bu**er 'Ere!

When we arrived back in Sherry's flat nearly a fortnight ago, there were two letters for her with NHS logos on the envelopes. She had been warned by her neighbour who pops in occasionally, and had picked them off the floor. Sherry had assumed they were from the local hospital, but was mystified as to why. One look at the envelopes said they were not - they had come from London. It turned out to be an invitation from Imperial College - where my brother once ran a research lab - to take a Covid test. Her name had been selected at random from GP lists. Today she received a negative result. Reassuring. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

It will have to be a very big cupboard!

There is of course plenty of room un a certain rather large shed, and Marie Antoinette is my culinary hero.  Just trying to be helpful.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest, having spent some money this morning on some 7 mm scale wagons, I went looking at the price of some H0m stuff.  I blame Ian for this revival of interest.

All I will say is  there are those on other parts of the forum who complain about the price of British rtr 4 mm stuff in today's market want to shut up and be very grateful for the low prices they are actually paying.

What I paid for 4 wagons this morning would probably only pay for the box if it were H0m.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

As a matter of interest, having spent some money this morning on some 7 mm scale wagons, I went looking at the price of some H0m stuff.  I blame Ian for this revival of interest.

All I will say is  there are those on other parts of the forum who complain about the price of British rtr 4 mm stuff in today's market want to shut up and be very grateful for the low prices they are actually paying.

What I paid for 4 wagons this morning would probably only pay for the box if it were H0m.

That basically sums up why Trackshack has ceased to exist - the UK modeller just won't pay a fair price for stuff.  If you sell for little margin you can pile it high.... but not eat.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Very sorry to hear about Trackshack, and of course the other news as mentioned on the website.

Even with postage charges, you were often more reasonable than my local emporium, as well as being able to supply what others couldn't. 

Stu

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1