Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Are they related to MeNbranes and Womenbranes, two very different objects. 

As to  the 1100. I also used to go up to Cumbria in mine to volunteer on the Ratty, the first time it lost  part of the nearside sill at Worsley interchange going from the M62 to the M61.   Later on it got stolen but returned and  the Morris badge that operated the horn was removed. For the last month of it's existence I had a small screwdriver to short out to copper spring and the centre contact. That worked the horn.

Jamie

They kept the best bit?:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

My father bought a 1300 sometime around1972-3. It was some while before he realised that it said Austin on the front and Morris on the back...

It also had the classic boot latch problem - journeys to Cumbria for family holidays would invariably feature a stop on the hard sholder of the M6 after the boot had spung open. I don't think we ever actually lost anything.

Mine was a 1966 model and I think I bought it in about 1973. The oil pressure light came on when it was idling in traffic if warm, the suspension collapsed a couple of times and it was full of rust. 

But it was my first car :) JLL472D 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've owned two Fiats, as has my daughter.

Never had an issue with rust, I was impressed by their reliability and performance, although some years ago, this performance did get me a speeding ticket on the northbound A470, by the top reservoir on the climb up to Storey Arms.

We had a Fiat Strada, remember the advert 

"Handbuilt by Robots" Really enjoyed it but then got my first company car 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

We had a Fiat Strada, remember the advert 

"Handbuilt by Robots" Really enjoyed it but then got my first company car 

Didn't someone spoof that with the final line of "driven by a moron.".

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since Monday, I have been concerned because there has been a distinct lack of domestic taskings.

Today the penny dropped: Wimbledon.

Just make the most of it.

Jamie

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Just make the most of it.

Jamie

Task for tomorrow is to take Nyda to Simon Boyd's(curtain shop) on the way to Wrexham.

Since we pass the Dapol factory on the way there, it would be foolish not to drop in and see if they have any seconds or returns available in the shop.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, today didn't go quite as expected. 

Having heard yesterday from No.2 son that he has successfully completed his Phase 2 EW training, and is now a 'golly,  SWMBO & I were discussing that he and his classes had gone completely through Phases 1 & 2 without any Covid interruptions.

Today he rings to say 2 out of the 6 in his mess had tested positive, he was negative but would also have to isolate on base for 10 days, unless he could be picked up.

A quick message to work to explain, and 440 odd miles and 8 1/2 hours driving and he's back home instead.

As he was planning a flying visit this weekend anyway (the 47 in my username is not a random number...) we have him home for 10 days instead.

Tough on his 2 class mates, complete isolation on base is quite an ordeal.

He's also heard he will be joining one of the Devonport based Class 23s, so the distance to home will significantly decrease.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I've tried getting membrane into general conversation today but have so far failed. It's as though there is a sort of barrier that won't let the word get through....

Dave

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@Happy Hippo it would be rude,not foolish not to visit Dapol thats if you have time if Nyda is anything like my Mrs you will be in the curtain shop for a wrist slittingly long time 18 changes of mind and various other forms of dithering and other form of indecision.

Last time we shopped for curtains I really thought I was being helpful making suggestions. Aditi told me to go away and look at televisions or  kitchen equipment or basically anything. When I came back she had found three fabrics and asked me which one I liked most. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We had an owl in the woodshed and pussycats patrol the garden and we are only 60 miles from the sea.  We even had green peas last night.  Our neighbours across the road have a quince tree. We are howeverbout of runcible spoons.

Jamie

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

We had an owl in the woodshed and pussycats patrol the garden and we are only 60 miles from the sea.  We even had green peas last night.  Our neighbours across the road have a quince tree. We are howeverbout of runcible spoons.

Jamie

Bvgger Bvgger Bvgger, beaten to it by fast-draw Jamie....:cry:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

How many of our kids could work out what we are talking about. We must mostly be of a certain age. I wonder if young Douglas will be aware of the derivation without resorting to google.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And when it comes to the D0ng with the luminous nose.......

Morning All.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Thebl**dy stupid censor deleted the word D*ng
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

And as Lear also stated, "'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves.........

(you can imagine what the auto correct made of that little lot)

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And as Lear also stated, "'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves.........

(you can imagine what the auto correct made of that little lot)

Dave

He should have stuck to making jets:laugh_mini:.

• Funny 10