Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

And as Lear also stated, "'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogoves.........

(you can imagine what the auto correct made of that little lot)

Dave

I once had to coax a group of fellow pupils to recite that in or school speaking competition.  Each house had to do a group thing, one boy a prepared speech and a 3rd an impromptu one. The spell check has put more red lines on the quote than I used to get on my Latin homework.

Jamie

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Just watched 'High Flight', a ripping yarn about young pilots in the RAF.  It was filmed in about 1956 and starred an Auster, a piston Provost, Vampires, Venoms and Hunters.  A Valletta also made an appearance.  There were some well known actors in minor supporting roles.

In vain I kept a look out for the resident of Hunt Towers, but failed to spot him.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I didn't feature in RAF history until nearly ten years later HH. I do actually appear in a recruiting film made in 1970 (although the u-tube blurb says 1973) about the Phantom. I don't recall the title but it is about a fictitious 4 ship sortie and I appear in the foreground of the briefing scene and then walking out to and starting up an aircraft. You probably wouldn't recognise me though, as I had a mop of auburn hair and was slim and youthful. Comments on the last sentence not required!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I didn't feature in RAF history until nearly ten years later HH. I do actually appear in a recruiting film made in 1970 (although the u-tube blurb says 1973) about the Phantom. I don't recall the title but it is about a fictitious 4 ship sortie and I appear in the foreground of the briefing scene and then walking out to and starting up an aircraft. You probably wouldn't recognise me though, as I had a mop of auburn hair and was slim and youthful. Comments on the last sentence not required!

Dave

@Dave Hunt Is this the film?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No Phil, that 's not the one. The film I appeared in is only about five minutes long and used to be on a website called Joluqa Videos but I can't find it on there now. I have a copy and am going to try uploading it here but with my ineptitude at things cumputery I'm not sure it will work but here goes.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

You mean Mr Hunt that we are not to say, in most serious tone - 'just like you are now' then.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Car is in for 200k service. 

"You have a leaky injector".

(Checks prices on line - £122 -£275 each.  Checks prices with main dealer - £350-£400 each.  Checks wallet....   ah. Stops looking at Dapol Class 22 in green from Rails).

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

(Checks prices on line - £122 -£275 each.  Checks prices with main dealer - £350-£400 each.  Checks wallet....   ah. Stops looking at Dapol Class 22 in green from Rails).

"You need new pads & discs on the front."

(Stops looking at any modelling rolling stock...  Or food.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Joluqa Malta does a lot of  aviation related videos on YouTube. 

I've looked there, HH, but can't find it, although it was there a couple of years ago. If anyone does find it, the start shows a Phantom taking off at night.

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... A runcible would these days be referred to as a spork. ...snip...

The opposite combination just would not have worked: "foon"! :jester:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

No Phil, that 's not the one. The film I appeared in is only about five minutes long and used to be on a website called Joluqa Videos but I can't find it on there now. I have a copy and am going to try uploading it here but with my ineptitude at things cumputery I'm not sure it will work but here goes.

Dave

I've found another You Tube film where they may have used bits from the original. Mostly about those in the dark blue uniforms but the RAF bit starts about 8:00.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We must mostly be of a certain age. I wonder if young Douglas will be aware of the derivation without resorting to google.

Errrrrrrr, (wheels are turning)

I have heard about the owl, the pusseycat, and the boat, however the quince tree and the runcible spoon are strangers in this land.

Edit: having read a bit more through this thread, I have used a runcible spoon many times. Here it is jokingly referred to as a spork but members of my generation, as it was made famous by being called this by Blu, the Blue Macaw in the animated movie Rio from around 2014.

I’ve never seen a LearJet Quince tree though!

Or a Boeing one for that matter!

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, that didn't work as the video is about 14mb and was refused as the maximum upload allowed is 10mb. If anyone knows a way of cutting it down?

Dave

Dave what format is the video in? As from reading your edit texts I see you have an IPad, it maybe possible to move it into ICloud photos (includes videos as well, I know very confusing) and then edit it down in either IMovie or the built in editor in ICloud photos.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2021 at 10:28, jamie92208 said:

As to  the 1100. I also used to go up to Cumbria in mine to volunteer on the Ratty, the first time it lost  part of the nearside sill at Worsley interchange going from the M62 to the M61.   Later on it got stolen but returned and  the Morris badge that operated the horn was removed. For the last month of it's existence I had a small screwdriver to short out to copper spring and the centre contact. That worked the horn.

Jamie

On 30/06/2021 at 10:34, PhilJ W said:

They kept the best bit?:jester:

I can imagine the scrotes discussing the stolen horn button. "Well it was working when I took it off the car."

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

"You need new pads & discs on the front."

(Stops looking at any modelling rolling stock...  Or food.)

Bear angle:  Does the leaky injector affect the running/screw the mpg/could cause damage/risk a breakdown?  If not then it doesn't matter.  As for pads and discs, if this is a main dealer then you'd save a packet going to an independent/good tyre place.  "Good" doesn't include Kwikfit, by the way....

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Discs were quite worn, pads on one side were virtually non-existant.  Leaky injector only affects harsh acceleration (big cloud of smoke & stutter), but yes, have read all about potential issues it can cause. (Thx).

Worse than all that, am struggling to find a Dapol Class 22 for sale (except ebay which I don't use) ... might go for another green Class 25 instead.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today's word can be runcible.

Now I'll need a slab of quince jelly.

Now mix that quince with vodka and you have a very pleasant beverage that is easy on the palate.

The following day you may feel a little jaded though 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

As for pads and discs, if this is a main dealer then you'd save a packet going to an independent/good tyre place.  "Good" doesn't include Kwikfit, by the way....

This is not always the case 

I have found some main dealers very competitive on price for such things and tyres too.

A lot depends on the model of car it seems.

I have just been through the service pain too and haven't had the dodgy door lock changed yet

It seems we only diagnose the problem ( and charge for it) and we order the parts to do the job another day. 

So they get to charge for telling me something is broken, which I told them when I booked it in, but don't fix it and I have to waste another day while you do a job you could have done yesterday. 

Bitter? Me? No.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It seems we only diagnose the problem ( and charge for it) and we order the parts to do the job another day. 

So they get to charge for telling me something is broken, which I told them when I booked it in, but don't fix it and I have to waste another day while you do a job you could have done yesterday. 

Bitter? Me? No.

Andy

The Boss had that with his Merc:

"Stick a new battery on it"

"Oh no, Sir - we'll have to put it on the diagnostic first.....at £150....plus VAT....."

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7