Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have an expressive term for people who rip off the bereaved. It is unprintable because it is full of unmentionables, and would cause much physical discomfort and associated anguish for whom it was directed at.

My Grandma said 'unmentionables' when she meant knickers.

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

My Grandma said 'unmentionables' when she meant knickers.

Dave

Whist I was dealing with them they would dream of the luxury of a couple of pair of  used unmentionables being forced.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Although some "folk" may pay good money for that sort of thing

I'd not be averse to charging for such a spectacle as it would fund much cake and falling over water.

I made my first million charging people to watch two Scotsmen fighting over a penny.

I billed it as seeing how copper wire was manufactured.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Such a shame no-one thought to try colour photography of Reading Vastern Road goods yard c. 1905...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I have a book of colour photographs taken by US servicemen in the UK 1942-45 that includes some railway and other transport items as well as a lot of 'touristy' things. Kodachrome went on sale in the US in 1939/40.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, coastalview said:

As someone who is quite interested in new technologies I wonder what our ex military colleagues think of this 

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-to-introduce-additional-swarming-drone-squadron/

Us grunts will only be asking whether they will work before 1130 on a Monday and after 1530 on a Thursday? 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, coastalview said:

As someone who is quite interested in new technologies I wonder what our ex military colleagues think of this 

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-to-introduce-additional-swarming-drone-squadron/

I was a T&E planning consultant in defence, not a serviceman, but we were talking about the possibilities of exploiting swarming drones (and the even bigger challenges of defending against it) nearly 20 years ago.  Interesting that our former colleagues in DSTL have been able to progress it so far.  

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The jet suit seems an interesting concept too 

Unless someone on the deck of the ship has a 12 Bore, of course.....:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

Tomorrow is my second day of work, which will be more observation. 

On Sunday I did a bit more work on the mogul and this was the result. Not great but I'm happy with it. Now to earn money for some more wagons for it!

Douglas

Niice to se it running Douglas,  good luck with your 2nd day at work.

Jamie

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The jet suit seems an interesting concept too 

As an offensive boarding option, as the jet suit operator is not armed, it's not yet  a fully working concept.

As a rescue, medical or operational concept, it is superb. Allowing the paramedic fly up a mountain to a casualty in minutes compared to the usual walking time is fantastic, being able to get on board vessels in trouble or just for operations such as taking the first wire for a ship to ship refuelling transfer is where it can be a real winner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, coastalview said:

Basically, glad I'm not involved. At least I got to fly things, not sit at a screen effectively playing space invaders.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Basically, glad I'm not involved. At least I got to fly things, not sit at a screen effectively playing space invaders.

Dave

Aircrew of the future will not even have to leave their hotel rooms when on deployments.:laugh_mini:

Small drones would be great for recce or close observation, although the manufacturers would have to do a lot to improve the flight time and the noise the drones make.

We have a chap down the road with a DJI Mavic and you know when it is being flown even if you can't see it.  This would have implications if you were doing covert work.

I suppose we are back to the high flying UAV for that sort of operation. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Aircrew of the future will not even have to leave their hotel rooms when on deployments.:laugh_mini:

Small drones would be great for recce or close observation, although the manufacturers would have to do a lot to improve the flight time and the noise the drones make.

We have a chap down the road with a DJI Mavic and you know when it is being flown even if you can't see it.  This would have implications if you were doing covert work.

I suppose we are back to the high flying UAV for that sort of operation. 

I believe the Israelis are the ones to watch in terms of UAVs. Won't mention the politics but they have come up with very innovative designs particularly in relation to close contact surveillance.

No analogue though only DCC.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Just for those in North Hipposhire from Monday you will no longer need to book to visit the park at Attingham.

The mansion still needs pre booking however for anyone who wants to visit, with the main public rooms opening on 7th August until 31st October. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I had a useful day cutting and painting the new skirting boards for the ex conservatory.

I'll fit them tomorrow, then I can respray the radiator (with suitable masking to avoid overspray).

With any luck the new storage racking will arrive for the garage and I can install it on Sunday/Monday.

I also need to do some hedge trimming before next Wednesday as we are off to the badlands in the South to visit daughter and family.  Then it's on to stay with a friend of Nyda's who lives in Headcorn.

Quite close to my old stamping ground at Ashford, although it's nothing like it used to be as nearly everything has been demolished and It's another housing estate.

The Hare and Hound pub on the main road (A20) is still there, thankfully.

• Like 10

Canadian National have suspended operations on both of their lines into Vancouver, due to active wildfires and the risk of sparking others. Canadian Pacific had suspended operations on their line through the Fraser Canyon, but they appear to be operating again. This is having serious effects on trade through the ports in the Lower Mainland of BC.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/cn-shuts-down-operations-on-two-key-rail-lines-to-vancouver-as-wildfires-threaten

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I had a useful day cutting and painting the new skirting boards for the ex conservatory.

I'll fit them tomorrow, then I can respray the radiator (with suitable masking to avoid overspray).

With any luck the new storage racking will arrive for the garage and I can install it on Sunday/Monday.

I also need to do some hedge trimming before next Wednesday as we are off to the badlands in the South to visit daughter and family.  Then it's on to stay with a friend of Nyda's who lives in Headcorn.

Quite close to my old stamping ground at Ashford, although it's nothing like it used to be as nearly everything has been demolished and It's another housing estate.

The Hare and Hound pub on the main road (A20) is still there, thankfully.

Bear detects the imminent presence of a large unguarded stash of cake in Hipposhire....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8