Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

The last time we flew with United was London - San Diego via Minneapolis in 1989. The service was so poor and the cabin staff so surly that Jill swore she would never go near a United aircraft ever again, and we haven't. The flight from Minneapolis was delayed because of a staffing problem and their 'customer service' was so appalling that there was a near riot among the passengers. How bad the experience was is shown by the fact that I still remember it from all those years ago and it sounds as though things haven't changed much.

About 20 years ago Mrs Northmoor and I had a similar couple of experiences with American Airlines.  On one flight the crew just seemed to be "going through the motions" - which stood out as the service culture reputation of the USA is well deserved in my opinion - while on the second flight, I got a pretty snappy response when politely asking for cream for the coffee.  Later during the night my wife, rather than call for service, walked back to the galley to ask for some water.  She pulled back the curtain to be faced with four of the most miserable-looking staff ever, all sat in silence. One woman jumped up, smiled and dealt with her request, looking like she was delighted to do anything other than have to sit with her colleagues for a minute.

It was only later we read that there had been a bitter industrial dispute in AA at the time; there may have been some different (and probably strongly-held) views and opinions amongst that and other flight crews which would create a very difficult working environment for those involved.

They were still rude though.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My green diesels could probably benefit from a run too but I think blue locos will get the next day out.  Not today though as I will be driving to Enfield, not diesel powered though. 

I trust pictures will be forthcoming 

Of the locos, not the drive to Enfield, of course

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My green diesels could probably benefit from a run too but I think blue locos will get the next day out.  Not today though as I will be driving to Enfield, not diesel powered though. 

Blue Diesels?  Now that really does mark the start of the irretrievable descent into the dark side......

:jester:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Can anyone explain to my why the British and Irish Lions only bothered to turn up for the first half of the second test match against South Africa yesterday?

Presumably their contracts stipulated that they had to or they wouldn't get paid. Certainly it wasn't due to any desire to play good rugby.

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, polybear said:

Blue Diesels?  Now that really does mark the start of the irretrievable descent into the dark side......

Dark blue side.

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

Morning all,

Currently sitting in Denver airport, with a 5 hour wait till my flight leaves. We talked to a reasonably helpful customer service agent who couldn’t  find any other flights. So now we are flying to Houston and then onto Tulsa, which puts us in danger of being kicked off the Houston flight. Hmmmmm, we shall see what happens. 

Re the Hippos green engines. He ought to to run some.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

Dark blue side.

Andy

Like this blue pannier (replacement) which was acquired for a very small shunting plank that has yet to see the light of day.

Those interested in the pile of castings on the shelf above the 08's roof, they are various bits of bronze for a 3.5" gauge  'Rob Roy'.

When I priced them up this morning they were worth twice what I paid for the 08!

Lord knows what the boiler is worth.....

Blue 08.jpg

• Like 13

The first test train has just completed a circuit on my first layout since I built one for the boys 30 years ago.

A feeling of smugness pervades the train shed. :blink:

It's not finescale just code 100 10x8 roundy roundy from a CJ Freezer plan. But it works and nothing falls off the track so well happy.

Next job is ballasting:help:

Chris

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 13

I always found Delta to be particularly useless on the customer service when I was travelling fairly regularly from Manchester to Atlanta, but it had the benefit of being direct so convenience outweighed less than stellar customer service 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've got a couple of old boilers that could be traded in....

56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Boiler:

599454983_RobRoyBoiler.jpg.cc59d2f499f4fddb024ffd1ffb4131bb.jpg

There is no soft solder in this one!!

I would get in touch with either Station Road Steam or Simon from The Steam Workshop. I know SRS sells second hand boilers but I’ve never seen any on The Steam Workshop website. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Could be worse, they could be black! :bad:  Which operate about 350' behind my back door!

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Sounds like CTL Logistics.

Andy

Norfolk Southern (NS) on the "R" line from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Currently sitting in Denver airport, with a 5 hour wait till my flight leaves. We talked to a reasonably helpful customer service agent who couldn’t  find any other flights. So now we are flying to Houston and then onto Tulsa, which puts us in danger of being kicked off the Houston flight. Hmmmmm, we shall see what happens.

Re the Hippos green engines. He ought to to run some.

Douglas

I hope that the airline paid for the night at the hotel.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Like this blue pannier (replacement) which was acquired for a very small shunting plank that has yet to see the light of day.

Those interested in the pile of castings on the shelf above the 08's roof, they are various bits of bronze for a 3.5" gauge  'Rob Roy'.

When I priced them up this morning they were worth twice what I paid for the 08!

Lord knows what the boiler is worth.....

Blue 08.jpg

I hope to get one of those in O sometime in the future. However the GWR railcar and Class 66 that I have on pre-order from Hatton's come first.

• Like 2