Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

1.  As is usual with such high precision engineering works involving galvanised nails and a large hammer, it was the very last one that got me:

Bang, bang, bang!

'Would you like a cup of tea?'

'Yes please'

Thud, 'expletive removed.'

'I'll be in in a few moments I need to drill a hole in my finger nail'.

2. When Nyda made the drapes for Splott West Sidings, she suggested and fitted some weights in the bottom seam so that the drapes hung down with few creases.  It also reduces the amount they move around in a breeze.  They were fitted with a few inches clearance from the floor, which keeps the bottom hem cleaner and stops it wicking up water in the event of a minor deluge such as you have experienced recently.

I think that there is a regulation that says that layout curtains must be 4" off the floor to comply with fire regulations. It was apparently  the height required for a lighted match not to ignite it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yes I've seen that done, but I don't like the random depth of the stabbing!

I pop the drill bit in my micro mill, sterilise the bit,  put the required digit in the machine vice and clamp so  it won't shift, switch on, then use the fine down feed to just break through the nail.

Its a lot easier with a pin chuck.  I had to use one on the kids nails in the past.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought a new wireless mouse at the weekend. Opened the packaging today to find a) it had been previously opened and resealed and b ) the wireless dongle was missing.

Somewhat peeved.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Its a lot easier with a pin chuck.  I had to use one on the kids nails in the past.

Jamie

When you are doing it to someone else that's fine, but when you have to do it to yourself, you don't want to be flinching.

I am more of a jelly baby than a man of steel

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that there is a regulation that says that layout curtains must be 4" off the floor to comply with fire regulations. It was apparently  the height required for a lighted match not to ignite it.

Jamie

I didn't realise you'd ever been in my workshop of the match strewn floor!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

That 4" rule is good to know. 

Now I know my kneecaps won't catch fire......

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Not gossip but as well as scanning a load of negatives I actually got some modelling done by silver soldering a crank axle and eccentric straps for my 4F. Tomorrow apparently I am fence building on the boundary with our neighbours summer truffle orchard.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Or discarded cigarette.

Now that smoking is banned indoors at public venues, the requirement is no longer relevant.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am more of a jelly baby than a man of stee

Nerves of steel, will of iron, knob of butter. 

For the sandwiches.

9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Now that smoking is banned indoors at public venues, the requirement is no longer relevant.

But may still be a requirement, in which case you have to comply with it relevant or not!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Those dreaded words, "Dave, can you spare a few minutes to .......," were heard this morning and were related to how to put back together the bits of the spool unit (or something) in the borrowed sewing machine that had, "Just fallen out when I was putting the bobbin back in." There on the table was a collection of bits, the purpose and arrangement of which were a total mystery to me. After an hour or so I finally had it worked out and reported to the management that it was all back together and reinstalled in the machine. "Oh, good. All we (note the plural here) have to do now is figure out how to thread the cotton through the lower reel flange sprocket reversing gate," (or some other incomprehensible jargon). After ascertaining that there were no instructions accompanying the machine I set about some web surfing and eventually found a user guide which unfortunately had been originally written in Japanese then translated by a native of Finland into Swahili before being turned into something vaguely resembling English by someone whose understanding of sewing machines had been passed on to them by a chicken farmer. Another fun packed hour went by as we figured out out how the bl**dy thing worked but eventually, halleluja! we got it going. All I had to do then was get on my bike and go to get the right colour cotton, some weighted cord and curtain suspension equipment so that the drapes for my layout can be made. Tomorrow will, with luck, see the fitting of drapes of a length that leaves a gap between the bottom edges and the floor, complete with weighted cord filled lower hems, thus fulfilling the strictures and advice of previous posts here. At least, that's the dream.

Apart from that, the day has been fairly uneventful.

Goodnight all.

Dave  

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Last project of the day was learning to fold the pop-up tent.  We did iy=t after 5 tries on the last trip but SWMBO wanted to make sure we knew how.

There's a video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=folding+a+pop+up+shower+tent&docid=608011466205695356&mid=53EE35C10A190402D76153EE35C10A190402D761&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

It never seems to work like that.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was a bit worried with the RMWeb outage this morning.

There was Bill, on duty with LAS, expecting loads of gossip and nail biting excitement only to get  nothing at all.

The nail biting excitement at present is the rainstorm that has just arrived.

The mortal remains of the old 'Wrekin Havoc' 7/8ths exhibition layout went to a good home this morning. 

A dozen points and various lengths of track, plus 10 yards of unused rail and a large bag of 12 mm x 12 mm battens that can be used as sleepers.

They were exchanged for some live steam plans and some other bits and bobs.

i now have some space in the store shed, until I put all the South Horton Irrigation Tramway track in there.  the same amount of track, more rail but only a few points.  Fortunately this will only be temporary until the SH1T is re erected behind the garage.  It's last home at ground level and under an oak tree was never ideal, so the new location behind the garage at elbow height will be far more user friendly, but not at pretty.

I've been chopping up timber this morning into chunks suitable for turning on the lathe.  Currently on the machine is a lump of ash which I am experimenting with.  It's getting smaller as various tools are tried.  Certainly there are some you definitely cannot use for certain jobs, and picking the right size gouge is very important: As is keeping the chisels sharp!

More later.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

This morning was meant to be a simple job helping a neighbour take down the fence between our garden and his truffle orchard and replace it with a new one.  Some hope.  We've just finished taking the old fence down. It was so entwined in the roots of various things that it took ages. It eventually succumbed to the efforts of pickaxes and his tractor and plough.  He's just gone for a different  attachment to rotovate the ground.  All good fun.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Due to a domestic reorganisation some time back, my railway library was placed in my wardrobe out of the way!  The bookcase they occupied was moved and restocked with books from the other person who lives in the house.

Over time, some of my railway books have migrated to the spare bedroom where they live in a couple of neat piles.

I am now involved with another domestic reorganisation where, wait for it, the railway books are to be returned to the original bookcase which has been placed in it's original position before the original domestic reorganisation.

We will now need two new bookcases to take the other person's books: Ironic since the other person decided we no longer needed the two perfectly serviceable bookcases which were part of the original decor and gave them away.

There is obviously a cunning plot here, but I've lost it!

Fortunately I am not required to unload the bookcase as none of the books are mine, I will be required to move it into it's original location, and then reload it with my books.

But wait!  There's more..........

I am now responsible for the sourcing of or the construction of a bookcase to store the other person's books.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Just ensure the bookcases for the other person are of a suitable size and strength to take your books/ magazines / etc., if  they should, at some point in the future, become no longer needed / wanted by the other person. 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Agree 7

Hello fellow TNMers,

Well I have nothing much to report other than the scaffolding has been beckoning me again - on it by 7:30 these last few days expecting cooler, wetter weather - oh no - 35° yesterday and 32° today. I had to abandon again by 12. I'm not taking well to the heat and my skin isn't allowed sun.

I had an egad moment reading the nail-biting exploits of relieving blood pressure under nails - that was really toe-curling!! Ugh!

Good luck with finding a suitable bookcase Mr Hippo - Ikea type ones are well and dandy but they seem to form a sag once overloaded. Will you be making your own? I only ask as you seem to have woodworking skills.

Did I tell you the tale of me in the 5th Form with no previous experience of woodworking, the school woodworking shop, a finely honed chisel and the palm of my hand?

Cheers,

Philip

PS: @jamie92208 There's a truffle field near to us - the landowner had planted young oaks about 10 years ago and it's now bearing fruit (as it were). Been on the telly a little while ago when they did a travelogue in our area. They really spoilt it at the end as they went to the 'pub' called the Escobar in my sister's village, where the world+dog was there, including an accordionist who had never been seen before and never been seen since!!!! (I don't like accordion.)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Just ensure the bookcases for the other person are of a suitable size and strength to take your books/ magazines / etc., if  they should, at some point in the future, become no longer needed / wanted by the other person. 

May I recommend MFI? :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 4