Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Speaking of cobblers there was a shoemaker's shop in Paisley that was in a block of tenements that was about to be demolished. They hung a big sign on the window that said,

"WE WILL STICK TO THE LAST"

image.png.0adf6e988e44264b7c36adc9ac7cb104.png

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Then there's the joke about the Pope's visit to Liverpool ( I may have already told this one - apologies if I have). As he was getting into the Popemobile one day he caught the heel of his shoe and broke it off so when he spotted a shoe repair shop on the Protestant side of Scotland Road he told the driver to stop and popped in to have the shoe fixed. Overcoming his surprise, the shop owner quickly did the job and a grateful pontiff resumed his tour. Proudly the shop owner put a notice in the window proclaiming. " Cobblers to the Pope". Ten minutes later there appeared on the opposite, catholic, side of the road a placard reading, "And bo**ocks to the Archbishop of Canterbury".

Dave

• Funny 17

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

If you could spring the axles, that could solve your problem, providing the twist isn't too great.

Dave

It's not much but enough to induce a wobble across the diagonal

The sides are coming off I think

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Well enough of this wiggly wireless nonsense. I've ordered 500 feet of CAT6 cable to make an Ethernet connection from the shop to the router and file server in the house. The wireless connection works OK via a repeater but the data rate is really poor.

I should have buried CAT6 in the trench when I put in the power feed to the shop. Better late than never I suppose :)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Then there's the joke about the Pope's visit to Liverpool ( I may have already told this one - apologies if I have). As he was getting into the Popemobile one day he caught the heel of his shoe and broke it off so when he spotted a shoe repair shop on the Protestant side of Scotland Road he told the driver to stop and popped in to have the shoe fixed. Overcoming his surprise, the shop owner quickly did the job and a grateful pontiff resumed his tour. Proudly the shop owner put a notice in the window proclaiming. " Cobblers to the Pope". Ten minutes later there appeared on the opposite, catholic, side of the road a placard reading, "And bo**ocks to the Archbishop of Canterbury".

Dave

There's also a great one to do with a barber but it's a bit long winded and everyone has probably heard it by now. I'll only post it for a big show of hands.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

There's also a great one to do with a barber but it's a bit long winded and everyone has probably heard it by now. I'll only post it for a big show of hands.

Do paws count?

In other news:

A big virtual LDC to The Squadron Leader, following his latest mission report.  With a tub of Ice Cream on the side.....

:friends:

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

I should have buried CAT6 in the trench when I put in the power feed to the shop. Better late than never I suppose :)

Don't we always wish that. I should have put a hosepipe in the trench that was dug to get the ele tric supply to the pool shed. I would also like to run aan ethernet cable to the shed from the house for a variety if reasons but the logistics aren't easy. The direct route goes through trees and concrete things.  I need to get no 1 son who installs such things, to look at it.  

Comiserations to Dave, I hope they get the rest of it soon.

Jamie

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Do paws count?

In other news:

A big virtual LDC to The Squadron Leader, following his latest mission report.  With a tub of Ice Cream on the side.....

I'm no expert but an F4 and a tub of ice cream sounds like a recipe for a sticky mess.

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and all that talk about hippos, parachutes etc....no need, you can do this!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/sep/09/upside-down-rhinos-and-nose-clearing--studies-win-ig-nobel-prize

Edit: I see the censor has omitted one of the words from it but the link still works.  I did mean the hippo bit to be of interest BTW.  Or actually.....

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

When we had the railway shed/workshop/Jill's art studio built we didn't think that a water supply would be necessary and didn't take the opportunity to put a water pipe in the trench where the gas and electricity feeds were run. That was a decision that we have regretted many times over the years. Ah, the benefit of the famous hindsight.....

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Now there's a good idea. I may well cheer myself up by baking a nice big LDC.

10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I'm no expert but an F4 and a tub of ice cream sounds like a recipe for a sticky mess.

I've no experience of ice cream but a friend once ended up in a very sticky mess with an errant container of orange juice in an F4. 

This morning I have a visit to the library to make in order to return and replace some talking books for Dad as well as then laying in some supplies of requires comestibles. Work on the  various garden structures is now entering the finishing straight so tomorrow is scheduled for a visit to an aquatic garden centre near Newport where lots more modelling tokens will be distributed. In partial recognition of my acquiescence to such an expedition and outlay, once today's light duties have been undertaken I have been granted permission to do whatever I wish so apart from an hour in the kitchen with the ingredients for an LDC I can foresee time being spent in the railway shed. I will therefore bid you all a good and profitable day and get on with it.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ahh, sorry to read that, Dave. I prescribe crimson therapy.  Maybe run that Yankee.... :senile::locomotive:

Now, there's a damn fine idea. Thanks Neil, I think that an hour's light relief from cobbling will be just what is needed. Roll out the American mogul......

Dave

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Now, there's a damn fine idea. Thanks Neil, I think that an hour's light relief from cobbling will be just what is needed. Roll out the American mogul......

Dave

Dave, sorry about your news.  Bill

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've no experience of ice cream but a friend once ended up in a very sticky mess with an errant container of orange juice in an F4. 

There's a Defence Standard test for consoles/instruments' resistance to damage from spilled tea, coffee and orange juice.  I was always surprised they didn't test for the effect of the pilot's Gin 'n' Tonic.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

There's a Defence Standard test for consoles/instruments' resistance to damage from spilled tea, coffee and orange juice.  I was always surprised they didn't test for the effect of the pilot's Gin 'n' Tonic.

The technicians who repaired computers for the schools in the London Borough I worked for reckoned hot chocolate was probably the worst offender. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations Dave and I hope they sort your conk out soon as. Yesterday evening we had the last open garden layout of the year. Once it was too dark we retired to the house for tea and cakes. The cakes were all home made including LDC which was piled high on a dinner plate. That was the first to go even without @polybear's presence.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

.......but a friend once ended up in a very sticky mess with an errant container of orange juice in an F4.

I bet he was REAL popular with the Fairies...

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The technicians who repaired computers for the schools in the London Borough I worked for reckoned hot chocolate was probably the worst offender. 

ISTR the higher the sugar, the worse it is....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The cakes were all home made including LDC which was piled high on a dinner plate. That was the first to go even without @polybear's presence.

:cry:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning all,

I managed to forget my phone at home today, which is very unusual for so I am typing this from my laptop. Dave, sorry to hear about that and hopefully it will go away quickly. 

This afternoon I have work, and then after that I hope to do some work on the engine, hopefully making the smokebox dart.

Douglas

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The D1000 diesels had a lovely wide desktop behind the windscreen, the full width of the cab. It was the top surface of an electrical control cabinet full of relays and such, with a bank of fault indicator lights running across (Just the same thing on a Phantom jet, I suppose?) Anyway, it was highly convenient for the driver and his mate to put their teacan and cups full of sugar laden tea, which got spilt and ran down the wires into the innards of the cabinet.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, AndyID said:

Well enough of this wiggly wireless nonsense. I've ordered 500 feet of CAT6 cable to make an Ethernet connection from the shop to the router and file server in the house. The wireless connection works OK via a repeater but the data rate is really poor.

A friend was “advised” that he needed a fibre optic connection from his house to home office building in the garden. It looks about 30feet away to me. The advisor (who was selling the stuff) said it would also protect against Earth potential difference on the power supply at either end of the installation. I politely suggested I would have done it differently. When putting power into my big shed (summerhouse) I did lay an extra conduit with a pilot cable in it. This was so long ago it was in case we wanted to put a telephone cable in.  We don’t sit in the summerhouse anyway!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

2 hours ago, polybear said:

I bet he was REAL popular with the Fairies...

I think that they were fairly happy with the large amount of beer that the Squadron Warrant Officer 'suggested' would be a reasonable reward for their efforts on his behalf. Since this 'suggestion' was endorsed by the Boss and Annual Confidential Report season was looming he took the sensible approach.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that they were fairly happy with the large amount of beer that the Squadron Warrant Officer 'suggested' would be a reasonable reward for their efforts on his behalf. Since this 'suggestion' was endorsed by the Boss and Annual Confidential Report season was looming he took the sensible approach.

Dave

What's the price if someone barfs in the cockpit?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

What's the price if someone barfs in the cockpit?

I believe the 'price' rises quite steeply if it happens whilst flying inverted!

We had a pleasant drive back op from Seaton today.  We were on the road at 0730 and approaching the 'old' Severn Bridge (M48) at  0900.

A stop at Tintern in the Wye valley was pleasant, and it was on the road to Bigwear that things gat a little strange:  The road was closed!  No warnings, just cones across the road, and a chap there in PPE saying the road would be closed for the next three days.  No explanation being given.

An entertaining time followed as we negotiated a very narrow and busy single track lane leading to Llandogo before getting back onto the Monmouth Road.

After that good progress was made all the way to Leominster, although there was a huge jam caused by a sinlge set of road works.  The queue being at least a mile long!  We would have avoided it if we had not been planning on stopping for an early lunch at our favourite stopping point in the area, Monkland Cheese Dairy.

We opted not to return to Leominster but headed up through Kingsland and re-joined the A49 after another tour of country lanes just south of Ludlow.

After that it should have been a straightforward run back up to Much Wenlock, but again road closure without warning was the order of the day.  the signs said no access to Bridgnorth, they should have said no access to Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock.  So a lot of MW traffic was a bit stumped.  I cheated and went down through the back lanes of Corvedale.

The rest of the journey was without incident.

We are now resting and enjoying the cold and wet:laugh_mini:.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

A friend was “advised” that he needed a fibre optic connection from his house to home office building in the garden. It looks about 30feet away to me. The advisor (who was selling the stuff) said it would also protect against Earth potential difference on the power supply at either end of the installation. I politely suggested I would have done it differently. When putting power into my big shed (summerhouse) I did lay an extra conduit with a pilot cable in it. This was so long ago it was in case we wanted to put a telephone cable in.  We don’t sit in the summerhouse anyway!

This house was built 27 years ago with phone jacks in every room and now completely redundant :)

Fibre would certainly be one way to connect the shop and it would provide the best isolation but I think I'll be ok with the copper connection. I'll put surge protectors on both ends - 2 for $10.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1