Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Our wifi router in the house is diagonally opposite, both horizontally and vertically, our tv in the lounge - they could not be further apart.  The main phone point is also now upstairs in the 'office'.

We've recently changed the digital recorder to one with 'Freeview' capabilities. However the wifi signal wasn't strong enough, so we bought a wifi booster for about £13.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixilqwxxx&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59130|acid:289-152-2757|cid:599609992|agid:24126986217|tid:aud-641224041017:pla-881964420673|crid:94168542777|nw:g|rnd:5593288098875918456|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006597&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=599609992&utm_term=&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=24126986217&utm_custom2=289-152-2757&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18ibr-H08gIVRertCh3PYwEwEAQYASABEgKUdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

Yesterday was shopping day and after the supermarket a visit was made to the local Polski Sklep to replenish the beer supply amongst other things 

Now it has been a while since I was last in there and things have changed for the better

Not only has the range of beer expanded, but they have a new cake cabinet.

Well what is an SM42 to do.

Cake was purchased.

A sort of chocolate spronge base, cheesecake like layer, a layer of apple in jelly and topped with chocolate.

As a result new standing orders have been issued at SM42 Towers 

From now on daily cake is to be purchased, but I suspect Mrs SM42's rebellious side will put a stop to it.

In other events, the sorting of stuff from mum's has recommenced and today a 6ft  pile of audio cassetes are about to start a new career as landfill. 

This has left a lot of clear cassette  boxes awaiting a trip to the recycling, but before they go, is there a modelling use for them?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We opted not to return to Leominster but headed up through Kingsland and re-joined the A49 after another tour of country lanes just south of Ludlow.

There are worse parts of the world to have to explore.  My Dad lives in that area, you might even have driven past his house.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

After that good progress was made all the way to Leominster, although there was a huge jam caused by a sinlge set of road works.  The queue being at least a mile long!  We would have avoided it if we had not been planning on stopping for an early lunch at our favourite stopping point in the area, Monkland Cheese Dairy.

We opted not to return to Leominster but headed up through Kingsland and re-joined the A49 after another tour of country lanes just south of Ludlow.

After that it should have been a straightforward run back up to Much Wenlock, but again road closure without warning was the order of the day.  the signs said no access to Bridgnorth, they should have said no access to Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock.  So a lot of MW traffic was a bit stumped.  I cheated and went down through the back lanes of Corvedale.

The rest of the journey was without incident.

33 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

There are worse parts of the world to have to explore.  My Dad lives in that area, you might even have driven past his house.

Not far off the route we took the other day from Kington - avoiding Leominster by B roads through Mortimers Cross to Ludlow, stopping at Stokesay Castle, then up Corvedale and picnic lunch in the ruins of Much Wenlock Priory - a very tranquil spot. Then skirting Telford up to the A5 and home, by a round-about route.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Our wifi router in the house is diagonally opposite, both horizontally and vertically, our tv in the lounge - they could not be further apart.  The main phone point is also now upstairs in the 'office'.

We've recently changed the digital recorder to one with 'Freeview' capabilities. However the wifi signal wasn't strong enough, so we bought a wifi booster for about £13.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixilqwxxx&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59130|acid:289-152-2757|cid:599609992|agid:24126986217|tid:aud-641224041017:pla-881964420673|crid:94168542777|nw:g|rnd:5593288098875918456|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006597&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=599609992&utm_term=&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=24126986217&utm_custom2=289-152-2757&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18ibr-H08gIVRertCh3PYwEwEAQYASABEgKUdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unfortunately a booster won't work for me. Apart from two small windows the shop is clad entirely in steel :) I have a WiFi repeater at one window. It communicates with the router in the house and retransmits into the shop. It works ok for email and internet browsing but it's far too slow for loading and saving large files for the file server.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

This has left a lot of clear cassette  boxes awaiting a trip to the recycling, but before they go, is there a modelling use for them?

The clear plastic can be used for:

Windows, they can be scored quite easily for the frames.

Puddles.

Greenhouses, see Windows above.

Mini paint pallets

The boxes can be used for:

Right-angle supports whilst glue dries.

Glued together, they can become paint brush/ mini tool stands.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

The last time I was on the road through Kingsland was after a parachute jump at Shobdon.

It sticks in my mind as I'd just had my first ever total malfunction!

I was jumping as no 4 in a stack of five jumpers:  I pulled the ripcord as required and then whistled through the stack watching everyone else go past me as their canopied deployed.

As I passed the bottom jumper, I cut away the feeble little bag of ripstop nylon and tested out my new 26' diameter reserve canopy.

I suspect the malfunction was packing the canopy on damp ground a few days previously, so it's reluctance to open is probably explained that way.

Had I been opening at terminal velocity instead of what was effectively a 'hop and pop' I suspect the canopy would have deployed normally.

Sadly, of the guys on the lift, only the pilot and I are still surviving, the rest being killed at Mannheim in the Sep 82 Chinook crash.

• Friendly/supportive 18

9 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The clear plastic can be used for:

Windows, they can be scored quite easily for the frames.

Puddles.

Greenhouses, see Windows above.

Mini paint pallets

The boxes can be used for:

Right-angle supports whilst glue dries.

Glued together, they can become paint brush/ mini tool stands.

Great ideas

I'll need to be careful my greenhouses and Windows don't have Sony or BASF stamped on them :D

All I need now is a place to store them till they get used

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Looking more closely at the cassettes themselves, they appear to be a good source of small  possibly self tapping screws and the spool reels might make an interesting wagon load. 

Andy

Sound like your well down the rocky road to hell.

You won't realise how useless all these little bits are until you are unable to move because of all the boxes and tins full of 'useful' stuff. 

It starts out as fun and eco friendly, but ends up as entertaining as using pile cream for toothpaste!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Looking more closely at the cassettes themselves, they appear to be a good source of small  possibly self tapping screws and the spool reels might make an interesting wagon load. 

Andy

The mark of a true squirrel.....

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You won't realise how useless all these little bits are until you are unable to move because of all the boxes and tins full of 'useful' stuff.

Oh, so true - and chucking out that "useful" stuff is much harder than you would imagine.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Oh, so true - and chucking out that "useful" stuff is much harder than you would imagine.....

I've compensated today by chucking out some might be useful one day stuff from the garage. It's been there 10 years at least.

These are small bits that fit in one small tin. The garage stuff needed large boxes and there is still more earmarked for jettisioning 

In all I'm gaining space. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5

We used a tp link power line adapter for our previous router for the eldests Ps4 as the Wi-Fi wasnt quite up to the job. Plug the adapter in to a power socket connect the adapter to the modem with an Ethernet cable. Place the other adapter where you want it plug Ethernet cable to device press pair and Bob is your Mother's Brother you could add further adapters.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

This is all of the link that you need, the rest including and after the "?" is superfluous bravo sierra. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SM42 said:

I've compensated today by chucking out some might be useful one day stuff from the garage. It's been there 10 years at least.

Andy

I had a box of various audio specialty connectors/adapters for over 25 years, one day I tossed the whole bunch, about a shoebox full. Two weeks (about) later........you guessed it, I had to buy one! :(

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Evening all,

Not much happened today, other than that this evening I became a full member of The Newcomen Society, something I’ve been meaning to do since April, and I would recommend it to anyone, the journal and archive are extremely interesting. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 3

Heading south today to somewhere near Guildford, although I suspect that shops containing temptation  will not be on the agenda 

Tomorrow I have been promised cycling.

What an exciting life I lead

Andy

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A timely reminder arrived whilst I was away on holiday reminding me that I offered to take a layout to the W&LLR Gala in Sep 22.

A planning meeting is now required on Monday evening to work out what we are going to take.

One thing is certain, it will be some form of shunting plank.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, the best laid plans of yesterday fell at the first fence as when I set off for the shed I discovered that the landscaping chaps had just finished laying the new path and steps to the entrance that couldn't be walked on for the rest of the day until the cement set. Bu**er. Then today any thoughts of modelling were stifled by the 'need' to go to the garden centre to spend more large amounts of dosh on acquatic plants and other accoutrements for the new pond followed by installing same. However, a sneaky move was made when I suggested that we went out for dinner at a rather nice local establishment, which I think may have gained me sufficient brownie points for another attempt at shed time tomorrow. 

To be continued..........

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

We had a drive today to Lake Huron. We even managd to find the far end of the Huron Road. 

They are replacing the railway bridge in downtown. Not clear on details, but it has survived as a single track bridge on a double width foundation. Some pictures in the paper:

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/section-of-macdonell-street-rail-bridge-replaced-8-photos-4324394

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2