Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I have just found another box of  0 gauge Peco bullhead track.

You know the box: 'Bits saved that are too short to be of any use, but I'll keep them just in case.'

I really need a dramatic cull of my modelling boxes.

If I'm really lucky, I might even find something in them that will be remotely useful.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Today's live steam arrival was a small box of bits, a single sheet plan and some building notes for an 0 Gauge live steam 'Mollyette', designed by 'LBSC'.

Having seen the 3.5" gauge Molly, I thought I would be getting bits for a Midland 3F tank, but on perusal of the plan, the 0 Gauge version looks more like a midland 1377 Class 1F (The cab spectacle plate not having rectangular windows, but round ones.)

At this point I should mention that I refer to the loco as 0 gauge rather than 7mm scale, because the designer was not averse to changing details and on more than one occasion being somewhat fluid with his scaling of the models.  But having said that we are talking of a man who was designing and building working locos ii the 1920's and 30's.

As it stands, Mollyette is a single cylinder loco with slip eccentric valve gear, with a meths fired Smithies boiler.

The Smithies boiler is the next step up from a simple pot boiler as loved by the likes of Mamod and Wilesco.  with the Smithies it has the addition of a couple of water tubes that hang into the fire space between the frames.  The side tanks are lined, according to the plans, with asbestos sheet and act as the firebox sides.

This results in a rather warm loco of a style  that is much loved by the burnt finger brigade.

The use of this type of boiler usually means that you fill it up, and the loco runs until the water runs out, where upon it stops.  advance warning of this imminent stop is usually preceded by flash steaming, whereby there is so little water left in the boiler that the pressure raises very quickly  and the safety valve starts lifting  and then closing again every few seconds.  time to put the fire out!

Of course although the single cylinder and slip eccentric valve gear is still a popular choice for a beginners loco, the most popular boilers for small scale live steamers are derivatives of a real 'Stephenson' boiler as used by the real thing.  As far as I remember much of the development was carried out by the G1MRA and  John Van Reimsdyk in particular.  Of course, these advances have cascaded down into 7mm live steam and across into the 16 mm NG world. (Although the predominant boiler there is the single flue gas poker boiler.)

Now I have a slight dilemma. Does anyone who frequents these pages have any knowledge of the little known Midland Railway and it's fleet of locomotives?

If anyone does I'd be grateful for some assistance on the size of such locos.  A scale drawing or two might help.

Technically, the loco will probably end up  with a better ,more up to date boiler and burner system, which would be more conducive to a cosmetic shell of etched brass (possibly a partial kit).  Frames and rods could come from the Premier components range.  the frames then being worked up to accept the cylinder and associated gubbins.  Walsall Model Industries can provide the cast iron  driving wheels.

However, it is very small, and as a first attempt I might be better off trying my luck with a Midland 4F tender loco.  I say this because G1MRA promote a loco called 'The Project' which is just such a loco.

The advantage of a tender loco being you can carry your fuel and a spare supply of water in the tender. (Just like the real 4F.)

The drawing is very useful and will join my collection, the rest will find their way into my spares box for now.

When this work actually commences is anyone's guess as I have quite a few live steam jobs already in the queue, and other schemes as well.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

But may still be a requirement, in which case you have to comply with it relevant or not!

I can't recall the last time I saw that layout drapes must be at least 4" from the floor in the exhibition notes. And possibly only the NEC Warley show has a fireproof/fire resistant requirement.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

I can't recall the last time I saw that layout drapes must be at least 4" from the floor in the exhibition notes. And possibly only the NEC Warley show has a fireproof/fire resistant requirement.

Likewise here.  Never been asked to make sure the drapes are above ground level.

Although it's a bit more difficult to adjust when they are especially engineered to fit properly and  hang behind the baseboard fascia  rather than just get some old sheets or blankets stuck to the front of the layout  with tape or drawing pins.

By the time we have the theatre style lighting box put up with the viewing screens for those further to the back of the audience and the usherette showing the  VIPs to their seats it's quite hectic.  And that's before we play the Welsh national anthem and a selection of Max Boyce's finest on the PA

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now I have a slight dilemma. Does anyone who frequents these pages have any knowledge of the little known Midland Railway and it's fleet of locomotives?

If anyone does I'd be grateful for some assistance on the size of such locos.  A scale drawing or two might help.

Any particular type of locomotive Richard? As someone with a passing acquaintance with the genre I could maybe help. PM or ring me with your requirements. It does my old heart good to hear you wishing to eschew panniers and come into the ranks of the truly enlightened.

The first section of curtaining is now in place on the layout and Jill is determining the way of modification and improvement for the next one. Little did I realise when I casually mentioned that I'd like some drapes for the front of layout that the procedure would be somewhat more complex than building a model of a Compound with working inside motion and would involve occupation of half the house and workshop. The icing on the cake was when a large piece of material was laid out on the workshop floor being measured and marked out and Horace the cat decided to help. I seem to remember saying dash and bother, or something similar anyway. 

I saw Max Boyce perform in Cardiff once. Bl**dy hilarious he was.

Time for a small libation of Scottish happy water - Tamnavulin tonight I think - before doing some eyelid inspection.

G'night all.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
korekting pore speling
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I saw Max Boyce perform in Cardiff once. Bl**dy hilarious he was.

Probably still is.  Many years ago he filled a leisure centre in Bedford.  I know 'cos I was there!

I found out about Max Boyce when I visited a folk club in Barry in the early 1970s.  One of the floor singers announced a Maxie Boyce song and was applauded warmly.  During the interval I took my life in my hands and asked someone who he was.   Having survived that experience I found a copy of his first LP the next day and took a punt on it.  Years later there was a touch of smug satisfaction when "We All Had Doctors Papers" topped the album chart.  I even met the great man in Northampton, on 19th February 1985.  I remember the date because it was the night before my mum died.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Not a good morning today;

First was the news that Chris Klein had died.  A great loss to the 7 mm manufacturing world.

The second issue pales into significance after the first bit of sad news, but it is very frustrating.

In a nutshell, a tracked parcel was allegedly delivered by Royal Mail here on 04 Aug 20.

Well, I'm still waiting!

We have two regular posties and they are both smashing blokes, so I suspect a cock up in the sorting office.

Because it was sent from overseas,  I can't get in touch and try and sort it out because RM will not deal with me as it is the sender's responsibility to try and find out what has happened to it.

Fortunately it was insured and paid for by cc, so if all goes really pear shaped, I'll claim back that way.  I have jumped through all the hoops and have now passed it all back to the sender for them to action.  now I have to wait.  It's not the cost of the goods, but the inordinate amount of time I've spent trying to get this matter sorted.

Now it's raining, and I have been tasked with tidying and cleaning duties.

And they say bad things always happen in threes!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how a request for a special sub-forum would be treated / regarded ?

It's to bring together all the contentious and fractious threads where people are getting all uppity about nothing particularly important, but manage to get themselves moderated or banned.  (See Duchess of Atholl, for example

Some of these are quite fun to read :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

How about a whole new forum somewhere in the nether regions of the internet where all  malcontents and trolls can go and whine and moan about how unfairly and badly they've been treated over the years by various forums. (Because they don't just get the chop from RMWeb but other social media sites as well.)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

How about a whole new forum somewhere in the nether regions of the internet where all  malcontents and trolls can go and whine and moan about how unfairly and badly they've been treated over the years by various forums. (Because they don't just get the chop from RMWeb but other social media sites as well.)

In the Norfolk Broads world, Some one managed to get himself banned from all the N.B. sites, his solution, go and make his own forum, with a title very very close to one of the originals.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the weather has finally bucked up so I am now expected to go outside and do something 'useful'.

Someone else's words, not mine!

Cleaning and tidying did take place today, and I can report that all my books are now housed on the old bookshelf, up against the same wall in the room the books and book case were originally located.

There is a  large pile of books to go to Julie at Buffer Books and many magazines/Gazettes and  copies of 16 mm Today that will be wending their way to the recycling centre.

A parcel has just arrived, but it was expected, and is not the one that is adrift in the postal system.

I'm now going to put out the recycling and green waste bins.

The excitement is just too much.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A box arrived here today and was handed over with a look of 'what have you been buying now'.

When I checked the packaging, I realised it was actually an item purchased by me, but on the other person's behalf - a new table lamp.

I'm still not trusted though...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A box arrived here today and was handed over with a look of 'what have you been buying now'.

When I checked the packaging, I realised it was actually an item purchased by me, but on the other person's behalf - a new table lamp.

I'm still not trusted though...

It will be seen as a cover up for something else that's due to arrive!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2020 at 16:52, TheQ said:

May I recommend MFI? :D

On 18/08/2020 at 17:24, Philou said:

Wot? As in 'Made For Incinerators'? :)

15 hours ago, TheQ said:

I thought it was Made to Fall In bits

Tread carefully - I do believe our Great Leader (Andy Y) was a store manager(?) for a certain purveyor of flat-pack furniture.......

Personally, this Little Bear has MFI Wardrobe Systems (very carefully assembled and screwed to the wall) in two bedrooms, the oldest of which must be 25+ years old and looking just fine :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, polybear said:

Tread carefully - I do believe our Great Leader (Andy Y) was a store manager(?) for a certain purveyor of flat-pack furniture.......

Personally, this Little Bear has MFI Wardrobe Systems (very carefully assembled and screwed to the wall) in two bedrooms, the oldest of which must be 25+ years old and looking just fine :)

He certainly doesn't look like a Sven to me:mocking_mini:.

I am now wondering what to do with all the space that's vacant in the wardrobe now the books have gone.

I think hanging every string vest and pairs of shreddies on individual hangers would be seen as ostentatious.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Someone I know once made a 4mm layout using a couple of wardrobe doors as baseboards. Just sayin'.

Went to our local organic farm shop this morning and since it was a nice dry day in North Hipposhire I went on my bike. Set out feeling very virtuous, got back an hour later feeling very wet as it was no longer a nice dry day. That'll teach me to try to be Mr. Solid Citizen.

There are now two drapes on the front of the layout. Four to go.

Be good or preferably be careful.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I wonder how a request for a special sub-forum would be treated / regarded ?

It's to bring together all the contentious and fractious threads where people are getting all uppity about nothing particularly important, but manage to get themselves moderated or banned.  (See Duchess of Atholl, for example

Some of these are quite fun to read :)

Reading through that makes you realise why the boss has no hair!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Someone I know once made a 4mm layout using a couple of wardrobe doors as baseboards. Just sayin'.

I used wardrobe doors and plastic chocolate block joiners to make a mock up for the spiral staircase on a horse tram. No expense spared. I think that and the mock up of the platform it sat on cost about £11.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2