Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Seems a bit counter-productive... ;)

It does, but I already have all the leg units which I recovered from the south Greenfield layout, so it's just a case of screwing them onto the end plates of the new frames!

Or I could build some new and basic 'A' lightweight trestles, to replace the heavy, bulky multi-height Aldi trestles currently in use.

It's more to making the whole package more easily transportable as at present it either needs a van or a trailer. 

Getting it into two cars would be much easier.

It's at time like this that one learns to appreciate the smaller scales.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's at time like this that one learns to appreciate the smaller scales.

50 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Wash your mouth out with carbolic soap.

All scales look the exactly the same size, just depends how far away you are stood...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Will this do?

I'm out of carbol*ock  at present!

image.png.eb6bb18588fc75db801666eeec5774a1.png

I’m beginning to think HH that you have a folder on your computer titled “Photos to Amuse the Messrs Hunt & Co With”, full of various photos of pachyderm products.

EDIT: products made in the form or relating to pachyderms, not products made from pachyderms. My LDC Heist Defense Advisor told me put that in there, said something about carpet bombing lemon cakes, rather than simply lemon drop cakes? Must be a new ingredient.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Will this do?

My boys always preferred pirate Matey.

Barley straw never worked for our pond neither did fresh water mussels to quote my dad "I may as bloody  well have chucked a couple of tenners.

The only thing that really worked was a mixed media filter system and then Uv sterilization.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Will this do?

I wish that product were available over here, I would cut the top off just above the label and install it on a depressed-center flat (or maybe a gondola); just like this rubber ducky:

1014333520_Rubberduckieondepressd-centerflat.JPG.8c145c119378aa42c6b783f751f2c7ac.JPG

:clapping:

EDIT: It might be the as company seems to be in Canada and offer free shipping to "our US customers"; 13.00( USD) for 300ml. The ingredients:

"Ingredients: Aqua, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysates, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Lauryl Glucoside, Sodium Chloride, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate, Tocopherol, p-Anisic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Sulfate, Denatonium Benzoate, CI 47005, CI 42051, parfum."

I first read that Detonateium! :o

They also makes a product called Bimbosan:

https://www.hollehippos.com/collections/bimbosan

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just had a thoughtIMG_20210913_184349.jpg.909427c9917fd01f90b4040b30cb79f6.jpg

I have quite a few very similar trestles.  Mine came from Wickes. Mine are set a lot higher though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’m beginning to think HH that you have a folder on your computer titled “Photos to Amuse the Messrs Hunt & Co With”, full of various photos of pachyderm products.

EDIT: products made in the form or relating to pachyderms, not products made from pachyderms. 

No, he just happens to have a lot of shares in the company.

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

My boys always preferred pirate Matey.

Barley straw never worked for our pond neither did fresh water mussels to quote my dad "I may as bloody  well have chucked a couple of tenners.

The only thing that really worked was a mixed media filter system and then Uv sterilization.  

You obviously didn't use big enough balls!

• Funny 6

Afternoon all,

A good bit of stuff has happened since my last post of any substance. At work on Saturday I used a lathe for the first time ever, although not exactly for its intended purpose. I was told to polish some pivots, (the end of an axle inside a clock that runs in a bearing) under the supervision of my boss. We do this on an ancient and much abused Unimat, even though we have 3 excellent Swiss clockmakers lathes which stand idle, I’m not sure why. 

The burnishing is carried out by chucking up the shaft and then running 4 different grits of sanding stick over the pivot, and then it is given the fingernail check, which basically means if you can’t feel any snags you’ve done well. Mine went better than expected, and I was moved on to drilling and fitting a bushing into a clock frame, also my first time. I had previously drilled holes in things there, but not using a clock plate reamer. This also went satisfactorily, and I moved onto fitting the bushing, which consists of lining it up with the hole and giving it a gentle thwack with ‘ammer. In the end I ended up with a good fitting pivot in a a new bushing. 

Today a prototype or possibly permanent chimney was made for the engine. (which really needs a name)

It’s a very strange conglomeration of parts, the cap being a old boiler bushing from a 1924 Weeden Mfg Co boiler (thread 1/4 x 32 even!) shoved over a piece of wood. It doesn’t look to bad but could be wider. It also acquired a smokebox dart, which is a cut down drain plug from a displacement lubricator. As you can see, it is greatly out of scale. This is because this engine is being built in the style of the crude “scale” live steam models built for Bassett Lowke in early the 1900s, and a oversize smokebox dart was very common fixture. 

D48EFD91-6241-42D7-81AF-2FD9125F4AF5.jpeg.ab6ecdeeaae365ae6519a87bf6071673.jpeg

D778B610-36FD-41AB-99BD-0006C72E8B54.jpeg.fc1c7ea6c79354983b0ab3f41f62c878.jpeg

I also polished all the brown flux residue off the left splashers, much improving the engines appearance as now it doesn’t look like it plunged into the Muddy Hollow.

Re trestles. HH I suggest you look for the book I believe the D&RGW western published on building trestles:D.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

We do this on an ancient and much abused Unimat, even though we have 3 excellent Swiss clockmakers lathes which stand idle, I’m not sure why. 

The burnishing is carried out by chucking up the shaft and then running 4 different grits of sanding stick over the pivot

You do not want to get any form of abrasive into or near a Swiss Watch makers lathe!

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

There is also another folder titled "Photos to upset the Messrs. Hunt & Co. with" which is full of various photos of pannier tanks.

Did a bit more cobbling this afternoon - about 12" - so now a bit over halfway there. Unfortunately I have also discovered a crack in the stone birdbath that MiL bought for us when we moved to this house and as it is: a. Leaking; and b. A feature that Jill would like preserving, it has to be fixed. Thoughts are tending towards draining, drying out and applying some sort of liquid resin to the crack.

As the Spanish would have it, "There's allus bl00dy summat."

TTFN

Dave

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The trestled baseboards are the scenic section of what was to be my entry into the G0G small layout competition.

The overall length being just under 10 feet by 18" wide.

By fitting a  4' x 2' cassette table at each end I can offer either terminal or through running, although that would make my entry ineligible as it would be over the maximum size allowed.

Bovvered?

Nah!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You do not want to get any form of abrasive into or near a Swiss Watch makers lathe!

A friend of mine had a Swiss watchmakers lathe - a Schaublin IIRC - and he wouldn't allow any abrasive material in the same room!

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A friend of mine had a Swiss watchmakers lathe - a Schaublin IIRC - and he wouldn't allow any abrasive material in the same room!

Dave

Here is some abrasive materiel to ruin your night's sleep:

DSC_0024.JPG.6a50022f015e2ba46a0352ea9e07ae82.JPG

One of fleet of my 4mm Pannier tanks, posed alongside the frame cut out for one of the hornblocks on my 7.25" gauge petrol electric loco.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well, yes and no. They are designed to do the type of work I described, hence why from stock they are fitted with a tool rest and not a saddle and tool post. However they don't actually use abrasive paper, instead various degrees of steel are used to polish the steel. We have a load of these sitting in a box rusting as I'm not sure my boss knows what they are, having only been running the business for a few years. But true I would not like to use abrasive sticks in one.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

A good bit of stuff has happened since my last post of any substance. At work on Saturday I used a lathe for the first time ever, although not exactly for its intended purpose.

Bear's Lathe Safety Tip of the Day (in addition to all the "never leave the chuck key in the chuck etc. etc. comments):

Just Google "Lathe Accidents" (presumably "Milling Machine Accidents" will have a similar effect) and very soon you'll have various images.  Just don't do it at Tea Time......

Bear's Model Engineering Group restarts next week, though we've currently lost four members (C-19, two moved, one decided he doesn't like driving in the dark anymore).  So we're hoping to suggest new members very quietly (the college deliberately doesn't advertise the "course" - it's more of a group really, and not on the college website either) and preferably those known to existing members.  One of us used to go to a live steam group where the atmosphere was a nightmare ("that's MY chair you're sitting in...", "Get off the Milling Machine - I want to use it" etc. etc.) so the last thing we want to do is ruin the calming atmosphere we luckily have....

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

One of us used to go to a live steam group where the atmosphere was a nightmare ("that's MY chair you're sitting in...", "Get off the Milling Machine - I want to use it" etc. etc.) so the last thing we want to do is ruin the calming atmosphere we luckily have....

I know it well:

'That's my cake your eating'.

'Clean up the mixer, I want to use it'.

'Why haven't you licked up your crumbs?'

'Who spilt the syrup?'

'You should have added more caster sugar'.

'What a soggy bottom!'

• Funny 13