Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

There is also another folder titled "Photos to upset the Messrs. Hunt & Co. with" which is full of various photos of pannier tanks.

Did a bit more cobbling this afternoon - about 12" - so now a bit over halfway there. Unfortunately I have also discovered a crack in the stone birdbath that MiL bought for us when we moved to this house and as it is: a. Leaking; and b. A feature that Jill would like preserving, it has to be fixed. Thoughts are tending towards draining, drying out and applying some sort of liquid resin to the crack.

As the Spanish would have it, "There's allus bl00dy summat."

TTFN

Dave

Clear Silicone perhaps? Or plastic padding used to make chemical stone  I dont know if still available 

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thoughts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I know it well:

'That's my cake your eating'.

I thought in Hippo Towers that every cake was Hippo's cake?  Unless it's Bear's cake, of course....

'Clean up the mixer, I want to use it'.

Whaaaaaat?  You didn't like the cake mix off the mixer??  :nono:

'Why haven't you licked up your crumbs?'

Leave crumbs?  We need to talk......

'Who spilt the syrup?'

You spilled it?  And then didn't like it up?  Two crimes in one....

'You should have added more caster sugar'.

Hmmm....no defence for that one....

'What a soggy bottom!'

Bear's sayin' nuffink....

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Woe is me strikes again!

After last nights OFMC meeting, I was informed this morning that a number of ready made ply topped baseboards are available for the various cassette tables, which will considerably lessen the construction time required.

However, the same person has a BR(W) 41xx Prairie, fitted with a sound decoder which he has decided to part company with.

It could join the fleet as 4177 which was a Radyr loco so good for my area.

I could offer it a very good home, but it will seriously dent my plans for fitting sound decoders to the diesel fleet.

This might take some serious thinking time.

Cake would help!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

ould join the fleet as 4177 which was a Radyr loco so good for my area.

I could offer it a very good home, but it will seriously dent my plans for fitting sound decoders to the diesel fleet.

This might take some serious thinking time.

Cake would help!

but just think how grateful the owners of the layouts nearby will be if none of your locos have sound. Get the pannier bought. You could always repaint it red.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

but just think how grateful the owners of the layouts nearby will be if none of your locos have sound. Get the pannier bought. You could always repaint it red.

Jamie

24 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

1.   I make sure my sound decoders are wound right down so you have to be quite close to hear them.  Although my pet hate at shows is 'Yet Another TMD or Maintenance Depot' type of display where everything is running and all you get is a cacophony of noise and lots of horns blaring.  Quite unlike the real thing.

2.   Wrong type of prairies!

It was three of the 21xx locos series (45xx from1912) that got rented out in South Wales and got painted red into the bargain.

Numbered 2165-7 went new to the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway and remained in their service until 1922 when they were reabsorbed into the GWR fleet. They were then renumbered into their original places in the 45xx series (4504-6).

One wonders if just a small bit of Midland red influence crept in, as it was the Swansea area where the Midland had a small toe hold?

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

You obviously didn't use big enough balls!

Now look you lot. Here I am trying to help a fellow contributor to this dirge of drivel and you lot think I'm making some snide remark about anotymical parts.  So less of the sniggering please.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I am building up my reputation of being an efficient person by:

Giving the bedroom, upstairs landing, the stairs and the hallway a thorough clean.

Doing the laundry.

Providing cutting and measuring equipment for a Ranger activity this evening.

Made a new part to replace one that missing from a young child's educational play thing.

Fixed the torch from the car.

Replaced some batteries in various watches.

And all without cake..............

I'd better think of something else useful to do before my Halo slips.

Of course it will all go to a sack of rat droppings tomorrow when Nyda heads off to Llandudno for a few days.

Indolence will then become the order of the day, apart from Thursday morning when the baseboards mentioned earlier will be arriving: That'll perk me up no end!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am building up my reputation of being an efficient person by:

Giving the bedroom, upstairs landing, the stairs and the hallway a thorough clean.

Doing the laundry.

Providing cutting and measuring equipment for a Ranger activity this evening.

Made a new part to replace one that missing from a young child's educational play thing.

Fixed the torch from the car.

Replaced some batteries in various watches.

And all without cake..............

I'd better think of something else useful to do before my Halo slips.

Of course it will all go to a sack of rat droppings tomorrow when Nyda heads off to Llandudno for a few days.

Indolence will then become the order of the day, apart from Thursday morning when the baseboards mentioned earlier will be arriving: That'll perk me up no end!

Ah the cunning plan a HH the base boards are arriving whilst the beloved is away. Very good. I think that deserves a large slice of LDC. Just bear with me whilst I go and bake some. I'll be back in a couple of hours when its ready- that's assuming I don't surrcume to temptation and eat it myself.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

You've not received your list yet, then?

You will......

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

2.   Wrong type of prairies!

It was three of the 21xx locos series (45xx from1912) that got rented out in South Wales and got painted red into the bargain.

Numbered 2165-7 went new to the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway and remained in their service until 1922 when they were reabsorbed into the GWR fleet. They were then renumbered into their original places in the 45xx series (4504-6).

One wonders if just a small bit of Midland red influence crept in, as it was the Swansea area where the Midland had a small toe hold?

Talking about red prairies there was one of them things running around here a couple or so years ago:

BlueBell-01.jpg.5584a9640ead89e333c61b707b2e2649.jpg

Bachmann released a version, got hooked on it, bought one and even got sound fitted :good_mini:.

OK, it wasn't a model of a real thing but then again it was a real thing because I saw it and rode behind it over at the Bluebell. Can't beat that can you...........

Keith 

Edited by tetsudofan
forgot my name
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Lathe Safety Tip of the Day (in addition to all the "never leave the chuck key in the chuck etc. etc. comments):

Snippety snip.

I have an ear that looks like a jigsaw puzzle because the guy on the lathe behind me in 1977 (a mate at the time!) left the key in his chuck.  As it was a 15" swing lathe (Colchester 2000 if you must know) with the relative sized large chuck key, I woke up some time later on the floor.  And again later in A&E.  Boy did it hurt, got a day off on it though!. 

We remained mates surprisingly, he now works in Norway in oil extraction. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

......Indolence will then become the order of the day, apart from Thursday morning when the baseboards mentioned earlier will be arriving: That'll perk me up no end!

If you need any help with getting rid of cake the baseboards you only have to bellow.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Could LDC be set to take over from crypto currency as the latest basis for international exchange? If so, could PB be about to become mega rich and HH be on the verge of world domination?

Dave

In very short order there will be a world shortage of LDC. Its not called a cakehole for no reason and in certain circumstances such as the presence of LDC can behave like a black hole and suck everything in. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Could LDC be set to take over from crypto currency as the latest basis for international exchange? If so, could PB be about to become mega rich and HH be on the verge of world domination?

Dave

Like a scene from a Bond film...

DH is brought in by Henchmen and forced to his knees in front of a Hippo sitting on a large throne, stroking a black panther which is sitting on his lap.

'I'm not going to kill you Mr Hunt, I'm just going to make you model the GWR!'

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

DH is brought in by Henchmen and forced to his knees in front of a Hippo sitting on a large throne, stroking a black panther which is sitting on his lap.

Isn't that banned under various statutes as a cruel and unudual punishment.

Jamie

• Agree 5
  • Funny 6

43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A worse fate I cannot imagine!

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Almost afternoon gentlemen, and the first meeting  of SEGOG for over eighteen months takes place this afternoon.  I'm taking  some DB models that need to be re-addressed; hopefully no Swindon locomotives, either en clair or disguised in LT red.  Bill

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4